It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-priest at city church charged in theft of $400,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Ex-priest at city church charged in theft of $400,000

Reading Eagle

A former Roman Catholic priest and former pastor of a Reading church was arrested Wednesday and charged with stealing more than $400,000 that had been donated to the parish, investigators said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10-2-2011 by butcherguy because: Fixed link.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I attend the church that this priest was the pastor of when he 'took a leave of absence', which he did not return from, for obvious reasons. He had a good tan, apparently because he bought a time-share in a condo in Mexico. Arghhhh!

Priests go through rigorous schooling and training to teach their congregation about avoiding sins.

Am I wrong in thinking that I don't want to drop any more money in the collection basket when priests can abscond with nearly half a million dollars?

I am not Catholic, but my wife is and we are raising our children Catholic.
Reading Eagle
edit on 10-2-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Fixed the link

Link

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Thanks.
I fixed the one in the OP now.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Am I wrong in thinking that I don't want to drop any more money in the collection basket when priests can abscond with nearly half a million dollars?

Since you asked .. here's my opinion ..

- Pray for the priest. His soul is in a dire situation.
- Your church still needs money .. now more than ever.
- If you are more comfortable donating time and talent .. rather than treasure .. do so.
- Don't let the actions of one fella 'gone bad' stop you from being generous. If you do, then the evil inside him and the evil he has done will also be doing evil to YOU. Don't let the evil touch you or change your goodness.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Good advice, thank you.

It still pains me to think of all the older parishoners that give money that they can barely afford, to have has this happen. Makes me sad.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Hi ...have a look at this vid and tell me if you are sure you want to raise your kids Roman Catholic.amazingdiscoveries.tv... I know a lot of people within that system that are great people ,but as a system it sucks right to the core ...peace

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Lol wow.. so much for the vow of poverty.

I guess we can put him into the category with the other defrocked priests.

The good news is he can get a job with the TSA with the other defrocked priests fondeling, err patting people down.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
reply to post by butcherguy

Hi ...have a look at this vid and tell me if you are sure you want to raise your kids Roman Catholic.amazingdiscoveries.tv... I know a lot of people within that system that are great people ,but as a system it sucks right to the core ...peace

Thanks for the link.
I don't have time to watch it now (working), but I will set aside the time tonight.

To be quite honest, I am not that thrilled about having them be Catholic. My wife has a different viewpoint though.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

reply to post by FlyersFan

Good advice, thank you.

It still pains me to think of all the older parishoners that give money that they can barely afford, to have has this happen. Makes me sad.

You're reasoning as a man. Look at it from God's point of view. God doesn't bless those who give out of their abundance, or who give for the wrong reasons or with a reluctant heart. Remember when Jesus and the disciples were watching folks give money at the temple and the disciples were impressed with the person who made a large donation and Jesus didn't care. He pointed the disciples to the woman who gave 2 pennies, because it was all the money she had to her name in the world.

God looks at the heart not the number of zeros on the check.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

He pointed the disciples to the woman who gave 2 pennies, because it was all the money she had to her name in the world.

You are right, it is theirs to give as they see fit. I should try to look at their example.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

reply to post by NOTurTypical

He pointed the disciples to the woman who gave 2 pennies, because it was all the money she had to her name in the world.

You are right, it is theirs to give as they see fit. I should try to look at their example.

Thank you.

Now you're on the right track.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I meant to say this before, but forgot.

The parishoners called this (former) priest "Father Rich", as his first name is Richard.

Fitting, I guess. Father 'RICH'.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I meant to say this before, but forgot.

The parishoners called this (former) priest "Father Rich", as his first name is Richard.

Fitting, I guess. Father 'RICH'.

Just remember, Christ warned us all to beware of the "wolves in sheep's clothing". It could be that this priest was just not able to overcome temptation and we all sin, but his sins are between him and God alone. Just make sure you still honor God by being faithful with your tithes and offerings and you'll continue to be blessed by the Lord.

new topics

top topics

join