It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt foreign minister criticises US calls for change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Egypt foreign minister criticises US calls for change

www.bbc.co.uk

Egypt's foreign minister has rebuffed calls from Washington to speed up the pace of political reform.

Rejecting a US demand to lift a state of emergency, Ahmed Aboul Gheit said Washington should not "impose" its will on "a great country".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Got to admit I agree with him. If the UN wants to give them some stick, fine, or the EU, or another group of countries, but not just the US, UK, or any other country constantly handing out warnings. It's not helping things by the looks of it, and just making the US look even worse in the eyes of people in the middle east. Cameron should shut up barking too. Leave it to groups of countries instead.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
false flag in 3....2....1...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hitoshura
Got to admit I agree with him.

Me too. We shouldn't be 'demanding' they lift the state of emergency. Obama shouldn't be getting on TV saying that change has to happen 'now' .. and that basically Mubarek needs to leave 'now'. If Mubarek walked out then the power vacuum would be filled by The Muslim Brotherhood, which would be even worse. Why the hell the Obama administration doesn't get that ... who knows.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

I agree with you!

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is wanting to back Egypt financially, so let them have at it!

For once, let Middle Eastern countries take care of their own. I'm tired of the US helping/butting in, and then getting slapped in the face for it.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I'm sorry but you are all wrong

The U.S. has been pulling strings in Egypt for 31years, Obama probably told Mubarak to say this.
This is all a puppet show, and to what end?
If Mubarak leaves then another puppet dictator will come, same as Obama's change, same thing is happening in Egypt.

We need to adjust perception!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
and egypt is in what position to say what?

frig em, let them sort it out, cut off the money and take the canal,

Ex

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Mr Aboul Gheit
"How can you ask me to disband the... emergency law while I'm in difficulty?
Give me time. Allow me to have control, to stabilise the nation,
to stabilise the state, and then we would... look into the issue."

Just another old fart trying to hang on to power & control !!

Just an interesting tidbit while I was surfing.
The median age in Egypt is 24

Egypt Demographics by CIA World Factbook[
edit on 2/10/2011 by Ex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
and egypt is in what position to say what?

actually its the other way around if you think about it , who is obama and who is cameron?

frig em, let them sort it out, cut off the money and take the canal,

what money and what canal are you talking about ?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
the 1 bil a year and the suez?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Personally no one seems to be listening to, or talking to the protesters, so I'm guessing here, they won't change the path they are on until they get what they want, regardless of any inside/outside pressure.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
the 1 bil a year and the suez?

actually this thief is pumping and selling natural gas to israel for less than third the price its worth , that is preventing a profit as much as $ 3 billion a year , i don't know why , with that much money he wouldn't have had to beg for the 1 billion , and regarding the suez canal , the profit is estimated of about $ 400 million a month , that is $ 4,8 billion a year.

now you tell me , why does he want that 1 billion from the US ?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I'm sorry but you are all wrong

The U.S. has been pulling strings in Egypt for 31years, Obama probably told Mubarak to say this.
This is all a puppet show, and to what end?
If Mubarak leaves then another puppet dictator will come, same as Obama's change, same thing is happening in Egypt.

Not surprised if that's true, which will probably turn out to be the case with a bit of research. I still agree with this though : Washington should not "impose" its will on "a great country".

I'm not anti-american either. Just against most if not all governments. The guy waffling from Egypt should in turn stop "imposing" his will on Egypts "great people".

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Regardless of wether or not Egypt has a government which operates truely independant of America , this process of reform, which the people of Egypt have called for must occur under EGYPTIAN steam. It is not for any nation, either the US, UK, or European representatives , or Russian dignitaries, to comment on the solutions to this set of circumstances.
Egypt has enough determined and democraticaly minded folks in it, that it neither needs, nor would it benifit from, any of the ceaseless diplomatic prattle that has been floating about in the news media, or indeed in the seats of global power around the world. What Egypt needs is the space and time in which to ensure that the demands of the protest movement are met, without delay, and without the unhelpful goading of other nations and thier leaders. It is time for the whole world, to button its lip, and watch events unfold.
We have a rare oppertunity here, to witness the greatest of all political change. A revolution which may yet pass with no civil war, no mass exterminations, no war crimes and no UN peacekeepers! We will , should Egypt be left to do what it needs to do, see a change enforced by the people, not by fools in suits which will benifit the people greatly, and improve thier access to thier rights, and prevent the abuse of peoples dignity in thier own homeland. We will literaly watch Egypt flourish before our eyes, and watch a new chapter in both the history of Egypt, and the history of democracy unfold before our very eyes.
This is all we have any business doing. When the process has been completed, then and only then should the leaders of the world begin to clamour at the new parliament, demanding this, and proclaiming that if it should so please them, although assuming the changes have been appropriate, no one will get very far with that attitude!

top topics

join