It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adbusters: The left built Huffington, and we can tear it down too

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Adbusters: The left built Huffington, and we can tear it down too

www.rawstory.com

"Socialite Arianna Huffington built a blog-empire on the backs of thousands of citizen journalists," a post at Adbusters begins. "She exploited our idealism and let us labor under the illusion that the Huffington Post was different, independent and leftist. Now she’s cashed in and three thousand indie bloggers find themselves working for a megacorp."

But the Huffington Post is not Arianna’s to sell. It is ours: the lefty writers and readers, environmentalism activists and anti-corporate organizers who flooded the site with 25 million visits a month. So we’re going to take it back.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I'm really at a loss for words as to why Arianna sold the Huffington Post to AOL of all people. If HuffPo was ever a site for true progressive information than it can now surely be crossed off the list and added to the MSM folder.

Unless she believes true progressive news can be a good business than I think this is the very defintion of "cashing out."

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Maybe she did cash out, but she had ever right to do so (unless I'm misunderstanding something). It started as HER blog, am I right? It does belong to her and it is hers to sell. It may become MSM, but it's her choice. Some other progressive blog will take HuffPo's place. Not to worry.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
I'm really at a loss for words as to why Arianna sold the Huffington Post to AOL of all people.

That's simple .... $$$. She earned it. She can keep it. She made the Huffington Post .. she can do with it as she wishes. I'm finding it funny that many on the left are so horrified and confused that one of their own .. one of the loudest far left wingers .. would show a desire to profit from her labors and would show a desire for some $$$.

Its' hers to do with as she wishes.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I don't see the problem at all.
She made money and can actually do the same thing as before on a grander scale.
I think you forgot that AOL also made Arianna Huffington their new Editor in Chief.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It would have been interesting to hear the real terms of the trade, maybe she was made an offer she could not refuse. Time will tell if the corporate bad guys got a hold of it to start censoring discussion. Articles from there where showing up on ATS at times and I expect a few other places, perhaps it was starting to make a difference.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

But the Huffington Post is not Arianna’s to sell. It is ours

LOL...some blogger is delusional.

Did these bloggers pay for server space or marketing???

I don't like Arianna...she is kind of a flake...but it seems these bloggers are even more dense than she is.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

See that’s the thing. She provides a place where independent news reporters can put their stories. She doesn’t do much work other than collect ad revenue and advertise herself to other sites. It's the people that contributed that made her who she is, and now that people have built her up to who she is she turns around and turns it into profit. Not for the builders, but herself. That is what is wrong with it.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pedroroach
It's the people that contributed that made her who she is, and now that people have built her up to who she is she turns around and turns it into profit. Not for the builders, but herself. That is what is wrong with it.

Nearly every business in the country happens just like that. Anyone who provides a service and is reimbursed for that service can do whatever they want with the funds, unless there are provisions stating otherwise. If they want to sell their "business" they have every right to. There's nothing wrong with it.
She created something worth selling and chose to do so. Her supporters have no guarantee that she wouldn't change what she was doing.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Now, lets see how far her progressive self "spreads the wealth". I mean, fair is fair, right? She sould divide it equally among the blog users. If it weren't for them, she would be a nobody.

Spread the wealth, HufPo!

edit on 10-2-2011 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Why are they so mad? Why don't they just organize and start their own website. No one is FORCING them to write for that AOL blog.

For all the "intellect" the left proclaims to hold, sometimes they sure don't seem to know how to translate that into ACTION.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
How ridiculous, they knew they were contributing on someone else's dime, and it was a privilege for them to be allowed a platform with such high visibility as HuffPo. Damn ungrateful.

That would be like some posters from here trying to get up in arms if the owners sold ATS.

Why cant people just take from it something positive? A national platform to voice your opinions, that is worth a lot right there!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

You can't really jump to a conclusion about an entire political leaning based on a handful of people.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Great point. It's good to spread the wealth around. Oh wait only when it's other peoples money I guess.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
That would be like some posters from here trying to get up in arms if the owners sold ATS.

That seems to be the case with HuffPo. I'm sure some view her as a sell out, for selling/selling to AOL.

I remember Arianna years ago when she was a conservative in Calif; she bills herself now as a progressive independent. She truly is a great business woman and visionary, and no doubt sees this AOL deal as good for going forward with an enhanced platform for progressive independent solutions for America's problems. I hope she finds even greater success with her new venture. God knows we need it now.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Arianna was funded by the MSM to create her site. $15M. She has always been a sellout. Notice she censored Jesse Ventura when he referenced people not believing the "official" 9/11 hogwash. She has always presented the left as the MSM wants the left presented. Even Geraldo Rivera and Judge Napolitano on Fox News are now saying 9/11 collapse of WT7 proves a conspiracy. Not Arianna.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Yeah, I couldn't figure that out either. I thought AOL was wholly owned by Time Warner, and was just a subsidiary company, with no real buying power? Shame on you Arianna, you used to be a independent news site, now you are just one of the minions of the controlled media. Shame, shame, shame.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Matt1951

Geraldo is not saying that.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

yes he is.He changed his tune.
theintelhub.com...

Do a google search, there are many links.

new topics

top topics

join