It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare advocate make refusniks wear gold stickers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
*that's the title of the article

Obamacare advocate make refusniks wear gold stickers

lA eading advocate of Obamacare told NPR yesterday that Americans who refuse to pay for health care should be forced to wear gold stickers on their foreheads and refused emergency hospital treatment, in a chilling throwback to how Jews were persecuted by being made to wear yellow stars by the Nazis during the occupation of Europe

NPR Website - Alternatives to mandating insurance maybe

Len Nichols, a health economist who teaches at Virginia's George Mason University, says without a requirement for coverage, Congress might have to find another way to make the consequences of not having insurance even more dramatic.

For example, he says, perhaps if people don't buy insurance when it is first available, "if you ever try to buy insurance again, you'll have to pay three times the market price, and we will put a gold sticker on your forehead and say to all hospitals, 'You do not have to treat this person; this person has forfeited their right to uncompensated care.' "

Nichols is only half serious about that gold star. He is quick to point out that doctors and hospitals are bound by professional standards not to turn away patients in need of emergency care.

Only 'half serious'?? Of course you can't put a gold sticker (star?) on someone's forehead ... but you can mark them in other ways. Not their bodies .. but electronic records, drivers liscenses, etc etc. I found the gold star reference to be in very poor taste.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
It's Prison Planet, Alex Jones's failure of a fearmongering site.

As for NPR, I don't think Mr. Nichols understands.

I think that if a person refuses to get insurance, after the health care law goes into effect, nothing should happen to them, but if they need medical services other than truly emergency life or death care, they should be forced to pay full price, in cash, up front.

I think that's entirely fair.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
These people are floating these ideas to see how the public will react.

The Obama people (primarily) want to tag us like cattle. It is likely that the next "trial balloon" will be implanted biometrics.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Absolutely. The ultimate goal here is a full blown police state. Owebowma care is just a way to keep track of us and gain even more control. This has nothing to do with "health care" it is a trojan horse pure and simple.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Or perhaps a gold star's like Hilter did. I would hand them out to all americans Gold stars to all the children so they will feel special.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
All of Obama's cronies and the unions that have "opted out" should also wear a gold sticker, no?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
He's supposedly 'half joking' .. which means he's half serious.

What he wants to do is put a badge of shame upon Americans who do not want to be bullied into buying a product that they don't want and that they feel they don't need. He wants a public shame mechanism for those that don't buy into the forced purchase of Obamacare.

Obamacare = unsustainable.
Obamacare = waivergate.

And what this fella wants is a public declaration of ...
Obamacare = good citizen
no Obamacare = bad citizen

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

It's pretty much like that now. If you dont have insurance you wont be refused repairing that bullet hole in your back or stapling shut your gaping head wound. You're just going to get a hella bill in the mail.

Then they cry and cry because they cant pay the huge bill (they also didnt seek out assistance or speak with the hospital to work out a deal) and sometimes even outright admit to not having insurance because they didnt think theyd ever need it (duh, it's insurance).

Then, in typical political fashion, big-gov-lovers drag it out as a sob story to turn all the empty heads and weak hearts to the cause.

Essentially you want things to be exactly the same just with one more gun to your head forcing you to give money to insurance companies?

Makes sense to me.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
It's Prison Planet, Alex Jones's failure of a fearmongering site.

Deflection.
Prison Planet is just reporting what the fella said at NPR.
It's HIS WORDS ... not made up by Prison Planet.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
My question:

I was laid-off and my unemployment, and work-insurance have both run out. I am doing everything in my power to find a new job, but being in a state with one of the highest unemployment rates of the country makes this extremely difficult.

So I can't afford ANYTHING for insurance. I deserve to die because of this situation I'm in, that is out of my control? I wish someone would come put a bullet in my head right now if that's the way the country is going, as I'd rather die a quick death than die slowly of an untreated medical condition in such a disgusting country.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This is nothing more than a way to identify "Who is with us, and who is against us". Those who disagree with the regime will be clearly marked which will allow any number of other agencies/businesses to further refuse to provide goods and services.

It appears there is no grey area with some of these folks. You either love them or you are unpatriotic, racist, heartless, bigoted, uneducated, lack empathy, etc. etc. etc. The list could go on and on.

Divide and conquer. A house divided can not stand. Things like this are meant to divide the people and force them to pick a side. It is done on purpose, and many don't see it.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
in such a disgusting country.

'in such a disgusting country' ...

Newsflash .. life sucks and there is no such thing as a free lunch. The government isn't your mother. This isn't a nanny-state. No one owes us a damn thing. Healthcare is a commodity. Doctors deserve to be paid for their years at medical school; their hard work getting through it; their long and difficult hours working. Hospitals deserve to get paid for providing a service. So do the drug companies. They deserve to pay their people for their hard work at finding new medicines. Everyone deserves to get paid for their work.

If you find America to be a 'disgusting country' then move to Canada.
Try their 'free' health care system. Good luck with that.

The only thing disgusting about the health care system in this country (and the entire world for that matter) is that physician assisted suicide is not allowed. Those of us with major illness and chronic diseases should have that as an option for when we decide that we've had enough pain and suffering.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
A new low for Prison Planet. Metaphorical gold star. Anyone who believes that under Obamacare they would place gold stars on anyone's forehead is pretty dim. So, yes, the gold star was the "half kidding" part.

And yes, if you don't pay, you will be "singled" out. Marked. Um that happens to you everyday. Didn't sign up for the extended warranty for your laptop? MARKED. Oh the horror....you have to pay out of pocket to fix it! Why should you benefit from something you chose not to partake in?

Stamp stupid on some foreheads is my vote.
edit on 2/10/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
A new low for Prison Planet.

Deflection. You didn't read the opening post. Prison Planet was quoting NPR. Again .. those are the fella's exact words. Dont' like 'em? Blame HIM .. not Prison Planet or NPR for reporting them.

Anyone who believes that under Obamacare they would place gold stars on anyone's forehead is pretty dim. .

Um ... you did see where he was 'half joking', right? No actual star on someone's forehead.
But the POINT he was making is that he wants a very public way to bully obamacare nonconformists.

Obamacare conformists = good citizens
Obamacare non-conformists = bad citizens.

He wants to bully them and segregate them all because the people don't want to be forced to buy a product they feel they dont' want or need.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

in such a disgusting country.

'in such a disgusting country' ...

Newsflash .. life sucks and there is no such thing as a free lunch. The government isn't your mother. This isn't a nanny-state. No one owes us a damn thing. Healthcare is a commodity. Doctors deserve to be paid for their years at medical school; their hard work getting through it; their long and difficult hours working. Hospitals deserve to get paid for providing a service. So do the drug companies. They deserve to pay their people for their hard work at finding new medicines. Everyone deserves to get paid for their work.

If you find America to be a 'disgusting country' then move to Canada.
Try their 'free' health care system. Good luck with that.

The only thing disgusting about the health care system in this country (and the entire world for that matter) is that physician assisted suicide is not allowed. Those of us with major illness and chronic diseases should have that as an option for when we decide that we've had enough pain and suffering.

I think you misunderstood me. My comment was on the future, a future where you go into the ER dying and they refuse to treat you. That doesn't sound disgusting to you? Maybe they will even have a special pit dug outside the ER where they can toss the soon to be dead people into. My wording may have been a bit ambiguous, for that I apologize.

I agree with you 100% that those in the medical field need to be compensated. That's why when you go to the ER and don't have insurance or cash up front you get a bill. I've had bouts of unemployment in the past where I had no insurance and needed medical treatment. I was billed, and then payed the bill once I became employed. Does that system seem worse than just letting people die because they can't afford insurance at the moment?

Obviously there are those that abuse the system and just get treatment and never pay, THAT needs to be changed. Legal penalties for not paying your medical bills in a reasonable amount of time is something I could get behind, letting people die because they are broke is not.

Off the subject but I agree about assisted suicide, but that's another thread.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Read my revised post.

Deflection? Um no. I read it ALL and listened to the entire interview and then some. A lot of them somes. NPR didn't throw the Nazi card.

Your choice. Your consequences. Your responsibility. You opt out, you pay.

Don't like being "marked" because you choose to not pay? Think that's makes you a "bad citizen" in someone's eyes? Seriously? Sounds more like a persecution complex to me. Some people just can't handle the consequences of their own choices and probably won't be happy about anything ever.
edit on 2/10/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Like this one ... Check it out. You might like it.
ATS thread - IMHO legalize physician assisted suicide

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Maybe we interpeted the "mark of the beast" wrong?

This could be taken quite litterate as a mark on one's forehead lol.

Maybe instead of "buying and selling goods" they meant "recieve healthcare services"?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Like this one ... Check it out. You might like it.
ATS thread - IMHO legalize physician assisted suicide

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Did I make my point a little more clear though, with my second post? I was not trying to say the current state of medical care is disgusting, I was simply saying a theoretical situation that some seem to want were dying people are turned away would be disgusting. Sometimes I try to compress things down a bit much and it ends up being hard to understand specifically what I am saying.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity...
And yes, if you don't pay, you will be "singled" out. Marked. Um that happens to you everyday. Didn't sign up for the extended warranty for your laptop? MARKED. Oh the horror....you have to pay out of pocket to fix it! Why should you benefit from something you chose not to partake in?

Last I heard, the gov't hasn't forced to insure your laptop and threatened jail time and fines for not doing so now have they?

Bad comparison.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join