It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What purposes can meditation have?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
besides of all of the good stuff, do you feel the hatred? IT's impossible to have a good feeling of yourself with all the hatred around. There are so many people fooling other people.

One would want to get up and deal with the issue, they deny.

People hate the truth which makes me so alone. One would think meeting others on the board is to find surfers just messing around. How lots fake being truth.

Underground.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I prefer contemplation over meditation, thinking thinking thinking, asking questions, solving problems, thinking about thinking, and thinking about feeling, thinking about what we see, thinking about how we see. I think my mind is only clear because I have so many thoughts that they have somehow diametrically opposed each other to create a perfect equilibrium. My thoughts are deep to the extent that I can think within my instincts, that is, my thoughts control even things that are generally thought of as involuntary. Being able to think about all of my feelings, I can basically control all my emotions, to a point that I can choose the state of vibration that I am in at a given moment in time. I believe that the path I have taken is called "Raja Yoga" and is well-suited to those who do not like the idea of meditation, as contemplation can continue throughout the day. What you really need is a "problem" that you are trying to solve, and usually those with many inner demons find a path to enlightenment as they have seen all the negativity that this world has to offer, and are ready to head towards the light.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Thank you systemresistor, what you described matches what I am doing. I find myself very often a day contemplating. It became an automatism. Somehow I am justifying my past and I like finding the deeper meaning of words. To really feel what words say. It takes time but it seems the only thing of value in our lives. it has a purpose. Yourself.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Yes, my thoughts and my mind extend from an area that I can feel within the depths of my soul towards the base, and in higher states of mind I almost feel on top of the world. Basically, after enough time, your mind and consciousness will encompass your entire physical body, and you will feel the presence of your soul. Whereas most people are almost exclusivley in thier "heads" or simply just thier "eyes".

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Sometimes I feel like things wanting to enter my body. Makes me really angry because of their ignorance.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Simply become aware, if they detect resistance, then they are drawn, if you pretend to be invisible, then they pass right through you without being able to attach to anything.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Zen!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
I somehow don't know what the purpose of meditation is? Everyone is about meditation, meditation but I don't know what purpose it serves. I like the idea of praying more appealing.

What's the use of meditation?

I somehow came out confused about the matter.

Theres different ways to look at meditation. Some use it for relaxation, some find it brings mental clarity, or even the ability to rationalise. Its a way to differenciate from the physical and the spiritual. As one poster said its how you can feel the presence of your soul. I've heard it can lead to telepathy though im not sure if thats true but i believe its possible. Some say they've met God once they reach a state which is known as Nirvana.

You raise your own physical and spiritual vibrations when you practice meditation. It gives you an awareness of the actual world around you. An understanding that life is more then what you can see. It brings a wisdom about the world that few possess, beyond what you can read in any book or bible. Even in small amounts it litterally helps you develop your spirit.

The world is unbelieveably LOUD! This is one of the many reason why we are detached from God. We have no quiet time unlike the time before the past 200 years. Spiritual wisdom was abundant in the past because we spent our time around fires telling stories and experiencing the world. Unfortunatly in this age we have our stories told to us through a box, or flatscreen lol... On top of that we're bombarded with music and advertisements no matter where we go, and im not talking about rock and roll or country or whatever your Fav is. I mean little tunes that make us want to buy things and consume. THERES NO SILENCE!

This is why a few people posted..."how do you clear your mind"? For most people that is almost impossible, even for a few seconds. Try it yourself....sit there and think of absolutely nothing for 10 seconds. Can you do it? Keep in mind, thinking about not thinking is still...thinking

This is what mantras are for, like Oum....They help you focus on your breathing and nothing else, or chakra meditation which is to focus on a specific area of your body (the chakras)

I don't claim to be any sort of professonal on the subject, but i've practiced it for several years. Group meditation can be an amazing experience. In any case Meditation opened my eyes, and helped me experience God.

And yes, prayer is talking to God...as if he was sitting beside you. Meditation is listening to God, knowing God which is in everyone and everything.

P.s. Jesus taught meditation...You'll find it was mostly deleted from the bible, but you can still find a few passages where it says specifically...He sat under a tree regularly for long periods of time. I'll have to find the passage.
edit on 10-2-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Meditation is what being is.
Imagine chimps or gorillas sitting around, no talking, just seeing, experiencing.
Because we have words, thought happens.
Thought happens, watching the thoughts drift by like clouds on a clear sky, is meditation.
The clear blue sky is what you are.
The thoughts appear to you, are seen and disappear.
This is meditation.

When a thought appears, generally, it is believed that i, myself, caused the thought. But it is just an echo, a repetition, it's not what i am.
Every thing is a thought. The 'thing' that sees the thought is not a thing. It can not be located, has no shape or form, it is where you are looking from, where you are seeing from.
Find where you are seeing from and just see. Do not label, or name the things you see. Find what is seeing and watch. Watch, observe all, no commentary, no narrator. No mind.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Meditation is what being is.

Pretty much! its not so complicated.. though, this one might prefer the wording "being is what meditation is." but it doesnt particularly matter as the "result" is the same.

Meditation is to perception as exercise is to muscles growing. something like that..

the idea is to not be solely trapped in ones thoughts as the totality of their experience, but realize them as a singular facet of ones constant experience, or being. Or else ones mind is simply taking them for a ride. instead of it being a tool we use, it turns into a tool that uses us. like in soviet russia
vaguely similar to the subtle difference between "i am angry" and "i feel angry"

one result is that it shows how, even at its very base and core, our current perception and world view is not nearly as stable and unchangeable as we might think, nor as limited. this can happen in other ways too. It also isnt really something one steps out of their day to do and doesnt do it at any other point, as we are "being" all the time, whether we are conscious of it or not. the idea is to incorporate what is.. "learned" from meditation into all times of "being." as in, all the time! one goal is being mindful and aware of "living" at all times, as what happens even in our own bodies on a continual basis is far beyond what the mind itself can quantify and track. being aware of ones thought processes, breath, and heartbeat as simultaneous parts of the experience of being might be a good start for some.

Meditation itself doesnt change what is happening, it raises ones awareness of "it" (usually limited to just thoughts) along with the rest of the goings on (like breath, heartbeat, etc). On a consistent basis, this is where one gets a "clear mind."

clearing the mind, etc etc is a result, not the activity itself.
edit on 10-2-2011 by sinohptik because: neenja

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I would agree that meditation is needed to be able of contemplation. Within the state meditation brings one is able to work contemplating.

One's purpose must be finding God.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join