It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inflatable Space Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
A private comapny in North Las Vegas by the name of Bigelow Aerospace is helping to fund privately developed large-scale, inflatable space outposts. The idea orginally comes from the TransHab, a module orginially slated for the ISS. It was not used, and Robert Bigelow is adapting the idea.

space.com...

Extensive work is underway in designing and building partial and full-scale inflatable modules, fabricated to serve a range of users, from bio-tech firms and educational institutions to other groups wanting to churn out made-in-microgravity products.

While not the firm�s top-of-the line business pursuit, inflatable space modules could become an Earth orbiting stopover for spaceliner tourists.

I completely missed this story when it came out a few weeks back, but it was the headline on Space.com today. This idea is very cool, cost-effective, and relatively easy to produce. Also, it's apparently pretty safe and reliable.

I just hope they come with automatic pumps, it would suck to have to blow the whole thing up yourself, especially if you're on a family trip, and the kids are complaining in the backseat of the X-10, or whatever.

"Sit down, and shut up! I'm trying to inflate the damn space module over here, and you kids are making me insane. Don't hit, your brother! Stop! Don't hit- honey, can you please take care of them, I'm trying to inflate the damn space module here!"

Ok, so it won't be like that, but wouldn't it be cool if it was?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Does anyone else see the comedy between little pieces of space junk and an inflatable object???

join