It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most Strange And Unusual Phobias Known

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It seems like there are more and more phobias being diagnosed and cataloged every year in the field of psychology. And what people are afraid of is downright strange and unusual. Take a gander at these real phobias that people actually experience on a daily basis .....

healthmad.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I have Phobiaphobia. I am afraid of being afraid of things.
Haha.

How about WifeAngerPhobia? Yeah I for sure got that one.

Anyways, I really liked that list, it was quite funny. "Fear of having aliens watching you". They got me pegged.

Thanks for the link, I found it interesting and enjoyable.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by chimaybliss

Most of these are easily explainable as to why they have the phobia.

Take arachibutyrophobia for instance which is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth. People with this fear probably also have a fear of choking or suffocating and since peanut butter is a very viscous substance it would be likely that a person with a fear of choking would also fear peanut butter.

OR this one, cataptrophobia. Which is the fear of mirrors. Have you ever seen a scary movie where something pops up in a reflection behind someone? Freaky stuff right there.

Or this one ...Fear of working on a computer — Actual term is cyberphobia. Have you ever been in a car wreck and you were extremely embarrassed because you felt like people were judging you because you couldn't operate a car correctly? Some people feel the same way about operating a computer.

Most of these phobias aren't really that strange if you just try to empathize with the people who have them.

For instance if you got your eyes gouged out with a pencil you might develop a fear of sharp things, even butter knives because the event that happened to you was so traumatic your subconscious may want to avoid any situation that could lead to that pain again. You could even develop a fear of eyeballs or telescopes.

A lot of phobias may seem irrational, and even the people with them may know it's irrational...but it is a very real thing especially to the person who has the phobia.

edit on 9-2-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
the list made me lol... fear of snow?
anyway really enjoyed this post... personal phobia--> swimming in the deep dark ocean, just the thought of something rubbing against my leg gives me shivers

top topics

join