It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to buy my first rifle.. Any advice?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans
I can't decide between a 12 gauge, AK, or AR-15... I want one all purpose SHTF gun for defense and hunting. 12 gauge seems more versatile but the 30 round clip on the rifles seems better than a shotgun for self-defense.

I'm leaning toward AK for durability (is this really the case or is the AR-15 just as durable?), but I'm a bit mystified with all the variants, is there an especially good AK for under $1000?

(My wife is a city girl and a gun hater but after several coyote sightings she's asking me everyday when I'm getting a gun, animals freak her out).
edit on 4-3-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

Thats why I have one of each LOL. I couldn't decide either. I started with a Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine 7.62x54R.
It's bolt action, reliable as all hell, simple to operate and fires a gigantic dump truck killing round.
The boom and gloom that thing made caused me to yearn for a smaller easier to shoot rifle. So I got a Hi-Point 995 9mm carbine. Short, lite, easy to shoot and dead on balls accurate at 75 yards. That made me want a true battle rifle. So I got an AMD 65 custom built AK-47. My kids call it "The Dragon" because it spits a fireball 4 feet out of the barrel everytime you pull the trigger. My brother gave me 2 guns after that. a Remington 870 express magnum 12 guage. It's an upland bird shotgun, longer than my car and heavy as hell but very handsome wood and checkering. and a .22 Magnum bolt action rifle.
That made me want a tactical defense shotgun so I got a Mossberg 500 cruiser. BOOM BOOM BOOM. I love that thing.
After that I wanted a tactical platform so I got a Charles Daily AR-15 M4. SWEET!!!
Then I decided I needed a real sniper rifle. So I got another Mosin Nagant M44, but this one has been converted by a gunsmith into a new synthetic stock, scout scope, harris bipod, turned down bold handle and dual claw extractor, recrowned and counterbored and re-bedded to limit barrel vibration.
My PSL is a "standoff" weapon. It's job is to scare people by allowing me to shoot quickly and modestly accurately at ranges of 1000 meters. A stand off rifle is different than a true sniper rifle, and a PSL is more of a standoff weapon than a sniper weapon.

Once you get the bug, it's hard to shake it. I still have a list of guns I "need" and the above is just a part of my long gun collection. I won't discuss how many pistols I have lol. It makes me sound crazy.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join