It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rated Greatest Scientist in History (a Christian)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
Funny, there was another person in history who was Christian and also saw great success in his life that he attributed to God...

Hitler.

There are Saints & Sinners from all religions/backgrounds.

define success

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer777

Isaac Newton was a professor at Cambridge University, and no professor was permitted to teach at Cambridge (or Oxford) in any subject unless they were an ordained Anglican priest; due to his fame, Newton was the only exception that I am aware of at that time, since he gained an exemption from King Charles II; however he was entirely immersed in the academic world which in that era was commonly obsessed with religion. Had Newton lived today, he would be a contemporary of Hawking and Dawkins and an acadmic world which is no longer obsessed with religion.

This is a statement from ignorance Lux, Sir Isaac Newton was no pew warmer...
...most of his works were in Theology but best known for his science...
...unlike Dawkins who is a scientist best known for his philosophy.
edit on 9/2/11 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldObserver
Well Newton also studied very deeply into Alchemy and had a profound belief in the existence of the Philosopher’s Stone. So does this make him an Occultist? Isn’t an Occultist the opposite of a Christian? You see, you are taking a very narrow view of Newton to try and win your argument that Christianity is somehow the only true religion. You need to view these things in relation to the times that Newton lived in. In my opinion Newton is the greatest scientist that ever lived but I care not for what god or book he gave homage to, only the brilliance of his mind and actions.

There was a wider view in those days... Newton was a Christian, no doubt. Christianity and science are not irreconcilable.
Vicky Some scientists who were or are Christians

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer777
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial and you could thrill him to the core of his being. Aristotle was an encyclopedic polymath, an all time intellect, yet not only can you know more than him about the world, you also can have a deeper understanding of how everything works. Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues."
— Richard Dawkins

Isaac Newton was a professor at Cambridge University, and no professor was permitted to teach at Cambridge (or Oxford) in any subject unless they were an ordained Anglican priest; due to his fame, Newton was the only exception that I am aware of at that time, since he gained an exemption from King Charles II; however he was entirely immersed in the academic world which in that era was commonly obsessed with religion. Had Newton lived today, he would be a contemporary of Hawking and Dawkins and an acadmic world which is no longer obsessed with religion.

Originally posted by Rustami
He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do

Then take the advice of your religious charlatan mentor (i.e., the dead god, Jesus) and miraculoulsy cure some lepors, give sight to the blind, raise the dead and move some mountains into the sea.

And when you have done all these things, don't forget to collect the James Randi Foundation million dollar reward for proof of a miracle or indeed for proof of any psychic phenomenon.

In the meantime, I will consider you to be a "Troll for Jesus" fraud and a religious charlatan preying on the vulnerable and the impressionable.

Shame on you.

Lux

edit on 9-2-2011 by Lucifer777 because: mis-spelling-itis

guess you missed that cherry about one body?.. keep dreaming Lucy and when you wake ponder that image in the mirror

Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels
edit on 9-2-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by WorldObserver
Well Newton also studied very deeply into Alchemy and had a profound belief in the existence of the Philosopher’s Stone. So does this make him an Occultist? Isn’t an Occultist the opposite of a Christian? You see, you are taking a very narrow view of Newton to try and win your argument that Christianity is somehow the only true religion. You need to view these things in relation to the times that Newton lived in. In my opinion Newton is the greatest scientist that ever lived but I care not for what god or book he gave homage to, only the brilliance of his mind and actions.

There was a wider view in those days... Newton was a Christian, no doubt. Christianity and science are not irreconcilable.
Vicky Some scientists who were or are Christians

as well as this thread being moved certainly helps the case and they are not only reconcilable they are intimately intertwined, gracias
edit on 9-2-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
to remove drunken miswritten words
apologies
edit on 10-2-2011 by Le Colonel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Yes, indeed, Isaac Newton was a deeply religious man, a great believer in God, but to see a "traditionally believing" Christian lauding him for it is a bit funny.

Did you know that due to his "Sola Scriptura" obsessiveness, he came to the "undeniable result" of Unitarianism?

Yes, he was a Unitarian, who did not believe in the Trinity.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
Yes, indeed, Isaac Newton was a deeply religious man, a great believer in God

yo babloyi long time no yap
what does "deeply religious" and "great believer in God" mean to you?

the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

but to see a "traditionally believing" Christian lauding him for it is a bit funny.

how about "traditionally believing Christian" with a reference so we can understand where you get that and what is a bit funny?

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his Name

In Christ Jesus all are One there is neither Jew nor Greek, bond nor free, male nor female

Did you know that due to his "Sola Scriptura" obsessiveness, he came to the "undeniable result" of Unitarianism? Yes, he was a Unitarian, who did not believe in the Trinity.

the word "Trinity" isn't in the scriptures but there are more than a few references (see a couple below) to base it on much like the word "rapture" and just to make it clear the voice did'nt say "I am Trinity""Isaac Newton""Unitarian" or "Sola Scriptura" etc.

Make one cherub at one end, and the other cherub at the other end; you shall make the cherubim at the two ends of it of ONE piece with the mercy seat. And the cherubim shall stretch out their wings above, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and they shall face one another; the faces of the cherubim shall be toward the mercy seat. You shall put the mercy seat on top of the ark, and in the ark you shall put the Testimony that I will give you.

I beheld till the wings thereof were plucked, and it was lifted up from the earth, and made stand upon the feet as a man, and a man's heart was given to it.

that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

For where two or three are gathered together in my Name, there am I in the midst of them.

“Truly I tell you, whatever you (two or three) bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Before she goes into labor,
she gives birth;
before the pains come upon her,
she delivers a son.

we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
edit on 11-2-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hey Rustami!
Good to see you too,
reply to post by Rustami

What does it mean to me? I guess it means he cared enough about the label assigned to him that he investigated and studied it, instead of just accepting "Yeah, I was born a christian, I'm a christian".

In my mind, a "traditionally believing Christian" would be one that believed in the Trinity, or believes that Jesus Christ was God.
I'm not sure how the passages you quoted show the Trinity to be true, but I don't believe in the Trinity anyhow, so it is irrelevant to me, and the fellow you'd be wanting to convince in this case (Isaac Newton) is long dead.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Hey Rustami!
Good to see you too,
reply to post by Rustami

What does it mean to me? I guess it means he cared enough about the label assigned to him that he investigated and studied it, instead of just accepting "Yeah, I was born a christian, I'm a christian".

all serve wittingly or not and would be happy to provide sciptures showing as much if needed

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed (offspring), he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

‘We are his offspring.’

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

In my mind, a "traditionally believing Christian" would be one that believed in the Trinity, or believes that Jesus Christ was God.

ok

Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son and that all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

I'm not sure how the passages you quoted show the Trinity to be true, but I don't believe in the Trinity anyhow, so it is irrelevant to me, and the fellow you'd be wanting to convince in this case (Isaac Newton) is long dead.

Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

Scientists of Faith relates the personal stories of forty-eight scientists and provides a brief overview of each person's contribution in their own particular field. Included are such notables as Johannes Kepler, Blaise Pascal, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, and George Washington Carver.

As the author writes, "Christians and the Christian worldview were crucial to the formation of the early sciences. . . . If science, technology, and medical advances, properly used, are examples of God's grace to us, then those who brought them into being should be credited for them. . . . None of these men was perfect... I have deliberately chosen to respect all Christians who have honored the living God with their lives and work, regardless of their theological differences. They began their search for truth with the assumption that God exists, that His Word is true, and that He has created an orderly universe that reveals Himself." www.adherents.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
*ahem*
So what?

Seriously, what does it matter? You're going to just make a whole thread that relies on the crux of the argument from authority?

And you can't really call a single individual the greatest scientist in history. Darwin was also an incredible scientist, the father of modern biology (atheist). Madame Curie is the mother of our study into radiation (atheist). Hell, Einstein overturned Newton, he was somewhere in the pantheistic-apathetic continuum.

If you're going to play "Our guys are better!" I can pull out as many examples as you can. Of course...it doesn't mean jack. It's just a stupid discussion because it rests on a logical fallacy. It doesn't matter how great the people who support your position wrong, it matters whether or not they're right.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

You mean except for the creation of the idea of a 'meme' and genetic centered evolution, right? I mean, we use the term 'meme' on the internet all the time and it's a word that he came up with the word himself.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Yes, indeed, Isaac Newton was a deeply religious man, a great believer in God, but to see a "traditionally believing" Christian lauding him for it is a bit funny.

Did you know that due to his "Sola Scriptura" obsessiveness, he came to the "undeniable result" of Unitarianism?

Yes, he was a Unitarian, who did not believe in the Trinity.

Good thing then that we are not saved by our list of doctrines...
...but by believing in the name of Jesus and His dying and rising.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by troubleshooter

You mean except for the creation of the idea of a 'meme' and genetic centered evolution, right? I mean, we use the term 'meme' on the internet all the time and it's a word that he came up with the word himself.

The Meme is a philosophical concept.

He was hardly the first to argue for a genetic centred evolution...
...but this too is philosophy as it has not be empirically demonstrated.

Science is the study of the observable and reproducible...
...else it is but philosophy of science.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rustami

Funny, there was another person in history who was Christian and also saw great success in his life that he attributed to God...

Hitler.

define success

Being legally elected dictator of a powerful industrial nation, then restoring its economy from the brink of collapse and conquering half of Europe sounds pretty successful to me.
edit on 11-2-2011 by Nosred because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
*ahem*
So what?

Seriously, what does it matter? You're going to just make a whole thread that relies on the crux of the argument from authority?

And you can't really call a single individual the greatest scientist in history. Darwin was also an incredible scientist, the father of modern biology (atheist). Madame Curie is the mother of our study into radiation (atheist). Hell, Einstein overturned Newton, he was somewhere in the pantheistic-apathetic continuum.

If you're going to play "Our guys are better!" I can pull out as many examples as you can. Of course...it doesn't mean jack. It's just a stupid discussion because it rests on a logical fallacy. It doesn't matter how great the people who support your position wrong, it matters whether or not they're right.

yes seriously, I did'nt and "stupid" coming from someone who goes out of his way to call God a liar?

the links provided show quite a few jewish, athiest as well as Christians from various organizations dum-dum

Charles Darwin was an Anglican, but by most accounts he appears to have been largely nominal in his affiliation with the Church of England. Darwin may be better classified as a Unitarian. He was a member of a Unitarian congregation which he attended regularly during at least part of his life.

During Darwin's lifetime, the Unitarian Church was considered a relatively mainstream Protestant Christian denomination, although many of its beliefs even then separated it from other Protestant denominations.
www.adherents.com...

"I often had to run very quickly to be on time, and from being a fleet runner was generally successful; but when in doubt I prayed earnestly to God to help me, and I well remember that I attributed my success to the prayers and not to my quick running, and marvelled how generally I was aided."
He had dropped out of medical studies after two years at Edinburgh, and his father suggested to him the calling of an Anglican clergyman. Charles wasn't sure whether he could accept everything in the Thirty-nine Articles of the Church of England. However, he later wrote,

"I liked the thought of being a country clergyman. Accordingly I read with care Pearson on the Creed and a few other books on divinity; and as I did not then in the least doubt the strict and literal truth of every word in the Bible, I soon persuaded myself that our Creed must be fully accepted." www.christiananswers.net...

Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy

Lyell's book presented Darwin with the time frame of vast geological ages needed to make his theory of natural selection as the mechanism of evolution 'work'. One of Darwin's biographers calls Charles's reading of this book his 'point of departure from orthodoxy'.

And when Lyell died in 1875, Darwin said, “I never forget that almost everything which I have done in science I owe to the study of his great works.”

Inevitably, the more Darwin convinced himself that species had originated by chance and developed by a long course of gradual modification, the less he could accept not only the Genesis account of creation, but also the rest of the Old Testament as the divinely inspired Word of God.
www.christiananswers.net...

And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word

“by such reflections as these... I gradually came to disbelieve in Christianity as a divine revelation.”

On another occasion he wrote, “I never gave up Christianity until I was forty years of age.” He turned 40 in 1849. Commenting on this, Darwin's biographer, James Moore, says, "... just as his clerical career had died a slow 'natural death,' so his faith had withered gradually."

even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Hitler.

Oh please, not that old lie again? Hitler was not a Christian.... although I can see where it's sooooo convenient for some people to believe that!
Do I need to put all the links again, or can you people use Google as well as I can?
Vicky.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Hitler.

Oh please, not that old lie again? Hitler was not a Christian.... although I can see where it's sooooo convenient for some people to believe that!
Do I need to put all the links again, or can you people use Google as well as I can?
Vicky.

Hitler wasn't a Christian? Then what was he talking about when he said,

"The National Government will regard it as its first and foremost duty to revive in the nation the spirit of unity and co-operation. It will preserve and defend those basic principles on which our nation has been built. It regards Christianity as the foundation of our national morality, and the family as the basis of national life." ?

Sounds like a Christian statement to me.
edit on 13-2-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

I couldn't agree more Rustami...

Master Newton some would say was the smartest man to ever walk the face of the planet, and that comes from many scientists (one being Neil Tyson)

I mean right here on Wiki he is even rated #2 of the most influential people in history out of the top 100. en.wikipedia.org...

but there are alot of people who would claim Newton was wrong and throw classical physics right out the door for personal assumptions and worldviews.

edit on 2/13/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Vicky.

Hitler imo was born a Christian but he received the 'Mark' into his forehead of sociobiology via Darwin's theory and then he put this ideology into the hands of others as being right to kill and exterminate others deemed not worthy of existence.

Hitler was AN anti-Christ

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join