It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rated Greatest Scientist in History (a Christian)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do

Isaac Newton-

Though he is better known for his love of science, the Bible was Sir Isaac Newton's greatest passion. He devoted more time to the study of Scripture than to science, and he said, "I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by those who were inspired. I study the Bible daily." He spent a great deal of time trying to discover hidden messages within the Bible.

Newton saw God as the masterful creator whose existence could not be denied in the face of the grandeur of all creation. Nevertheless he rejected Leibniz' thesis that God would necessarily make a perfect world which requires no intervention from the creator.

Newton also wrote a number of religious tracts dealing with the literal interpretation of the Bible, as he considered himself to be one of a select group of individuals who were specially chosen by God for the task of understanding Biblical scripture.

He was an unorthodox Christian, and during his lifetime actually wrote more on Biblical hermeneutics and occult studies than on science and mathematics, the subjects he is mainly associated with. en.wikipedia.org...

Sir Isaac Newton, upon whose work nearly all of classical physics is built, was a deeply religious Christian, who saw the hand of God in all things. To him, all of the great laws of physics which he discovered, were the laws of God that testify of his design. He would have been appalled to know that centuries later, atheists would be claiming that he had really discovered self-existent laws, which explain the universe so well that God is no longer needed in the equation.www.johnpratt.com...

"Christians and the Christian worldview were crucial to the formation of the early sciences. . . . If science, technology, and medical advances, properly used, are examples of God's grace to us, then those who brought them into being should be credited for them. . . . None of these men was perfect... I have deliberately chosen to respect all Christians who have honored the living God with their lives and work, regardless of their theological differences. They began their search for truth with the assumption that God exists, that His Word is true, and that He has created an orderly universe that reveals Himself."http://www.adherents.com/people/100_scientists.html#Christian

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Stop making this sight out of a religious war. You can't covert anyone to your beliefs.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Christian mystic would be a more appropriate label in my opinion, he dealt with esoteric religion, not exoteric religion.

Most christians don't.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
He was only christian because of the lack of the scientific method at that time.

His reason and logic were blurred due to his period of life. If he was here today..........

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well Newton also studied very deeply into Alchemy and had a profound belief in the existence of the Philosopher’s Stone. So does this make him an Occultist? Isn’t an Occultist the opposite of a Christian? You see, you are taking a very narrow view of Newton to try and win your argument that Christianity is somehow the only true religion. You need to view these things in relation to the times that Newton lived in. In my opinion Newton is the greatest scientist that ever lived but I care not for what god or book he gave homage to, only the brilliance of his mind and actions.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
He was only christian because of the lack of the scientific method at that time.

His reason and logic were blurred due to his period of life. If he was here today..........

good point, but what if he didn't exist then - where would we be now?? I shudder to think...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ijoyisback
Stop making this sight out of a religious war. You can't covert anyone to your beliefs.

facts are facts jack, "deny ignorance"!
edit on 9-2-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Pretty interesting, I was unaware of that shade of Newton. Sounds like he was successful with the marriage of science and religion. Rather than viewing them separate, he combines the two, almost as cause and effect. I have tried to be creative in discussing evolution with some christian friends, in an effort to bridge the gap, and allow us both to be right. The framework that came to mind was, suppose a creator exists, then the mechanism of evolution could still be considered gods work/plan, and therefore could exist within Christian ideology. The 2 sides could meet here, yes there is a creator, and yes science is the observation of the designs and systems the creator set forth.
Just thinking here....

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldObserver
Well Newton also studied very deeply into Alchemy and had a profound belief in the existence of the Philosopher’s Stone. So does this make him an Occultist? Isn’t an Occultist the opposite of a Christian? You see, you are taking a very narrow view of Newton to try and win your argument that Christianity is somehow the only true religion. You need to view these things in relation to the times that Newton lived in. In my opinion Newton is the greatest scientist that ever lived but I care not for what god or book he gave homage to, only the brilliance of his mind and actions.

yes the links state such, hey I know a murderer who became "one"... nontheless if you do an in depth study you'll know exactly what he believed which is also mentioned above

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
"Give us a childe till he is seven and he is ours for life" - Jesuit maxim

Every kind of Christian it seems says they are the only kind of Christian.
I know I just gave up assigning that value to a human being.

What does the person actually do to interact with their environment seems to be the more realistic assessment of what to expect.

Newton did some very interesting work though, is his purported religious beliefs important to the laws he postulated?
No.

The Chinese had rockets which operated under Newtonian laws long before Newton, they weren't Christian.

Newton was likely like many Christians today, and many of his class then, a member of a Lucferian secret society or two.

edit on 9-2-2011 by Danbones because: spelling

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I think that as a scientist, Newton realised his own limitations. Some things you just have to take on faith (until a better explanation comes along).

He was not the font of all knowledge but was a seeker.

He used what he had to try & understand a fairly complex universe.

Philosophy, religion & science are all tools a seeker of truth can use. For one to say "there is no God" merely because they don't have evidence to hand is a little closed minded.

Even if there were no God, what an amazing concept to stretch your mind with!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Yes...Sir Isaac Newton wrote more works on Theology than science.

There have been many scientific discoveries made by Christians...
...you will find a list here...

List of Christian thinkers in science.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by Rustami

Pretty interesting, I was unaware of that shade of Newton. Sounds like he was successful with the marriage of science and religion. Rather than viewing them separate, he combines the two, almost as cause and effect. I have tried to be creative in discussing evolution with some christian friends, in an effort to bridge the gap, and allow us both to be right. The framework that came to mind was, suppose a creator exists, then the mechanism of evolution could still be considered gods work/plan, and therefore could exist within Christian ideology. The 2 sides could meet here, yes there is a creator, and yes science is the observation of the designs and systems the creator set forth.
Just thinking here....

Peace,
spec

nice to see a reasonable response which is somewhat a rarity, so thanks! reminds me of a good neighbor who was either agnostic or athiest (can't remember) who always like to chat about these things as well and while I believe your thinking has alot going for it, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever in The Creator and not due to intellect either, I was simply shown a few things, one in particular as I opened a NT

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
reply to post by Rustami

Yes...Sir Isaac Newton wrote more works on Theology than science.

There have been many scientific discoveries made by Christians...
...you will find a list here...

List of Christian thinkers in science.
en.wikipedia.org...

appreciate it and the link above (which did'nt come out to well) mentions quite a few as well

this is a book on it I believe-

Scientists of Faith relates the personal stories of forty-eight scientists and provides a brief overview of each person's contribution in their own particular field. Included are such notables as Johannes Kepler, Blaise Pascal, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, and George Washington Carver.

As the author writes, "Christians and the Christian worldview were crucial to the formation of the early sciences. . . . If science, technology, and medical advances, properly used, are examples of God's grace to us, then those who brought them into being should be credited for them. . . . None of these men was perfect... I have deliberately chosen to respect all Christians who have honored the living God with their lives and work, regardless of their theological differences. They began their search for truth with the assumption that God exists, that His Word is true, and that He has created an orderly universe that reveals Himself." www.adherents.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ijoyisback

What does 'Stop making this sight out of a religious war' mean? I'm not being facetious.

Additionally, unless there is some conspiracy angle here, this thread probably belongs in Religion, Faith and Spirituality.

Eric

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
I think that as a scientist, Newton realised his own limitations. Some things you just have to take on faith (until a better explanation comes along).

He was not the font of all knowledge but was a seeker.

He used what he had to try & understand a fairly complex universe.

Philosophy, religion & science are all tools a seeker of truth can use. For one to say "there is no God" merely because they don't have evidence to hand is a little closed minded.

Even if there were no God, what an amazing concept to stretch your mind with!

excellent last two lines and why I also believe the faith or liberty of Christ has been the foundational instrument behind so much observed progression good and bad! though I know specifically Jesus was raised as well as Mary and Mary really seeing an angel of the Lord bright like lightning come down from heaven

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial and you could thrill him to the core of his being. Aristotle was an encyclopedic polymath, an all time intellect, yet not only can you know more than him about the world, you also can have a deeper understanding of how everything works. Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues."
— Richard Dawkins

Isaac Newton was a professor at Cambridge University, and no professor was permitted to teach at Cambridge (or Oxford) in any subject unless they were an ordained Anglican priest; due to his fame, Newton was the only exception that I am aware of at that time, since he gained an exemption from King Charles II; however he was entirely immersed in the academic world which in that era was commonly obsessed with religion. Had Newton lived today, he would be a contemporary of Hawking and Dawkins and an acadmic world which is no longer obsessed with religion.

Originally posted by Rustami
He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do

Then take the advice of your religious charlatan mentor (i.e., the dead god, Jesus) and miraculoulsy cure some lepors, give sight to the blind, raise the dead and move some mountains into the sea.

And when you have done all these things, don't forget to collect the James Randi Foundation million dollar reward for proof of a miracle or indeed for proof of any psychic phenomenon.

In the meantime, I will consider you to be a "Troll for Jesus" fraud and a religious charlatan preying on the vulnerable and the impressionable.

Shame on you.

Lux

edit on 9-2-2011 by Lucifer777 because: mis-spelling-itis

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Funny, there was another person in history who was Christian and also saw great success in his life that he attributed to God...

Hitler.

There are Saints & Sinners from all religions/backgrounds.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Newton mentioned "hidden" knowledge that was secretly written into the bible. These were probably similar to the original Pythagorian secrets which were not meant to be understood except by the Pythagorean inner circle. Sounds elitist but it's true that people get out of the scriptures vastly different information depending on what they bring to the table. I've never been terribly religious myself and am guilty of underestimating the depth of information in the bible. Hidden information is easy to miss if you can't align the esoteric allegory exactly as an original author intended. Newton found the old knowledge in the bible to be totally captivating even with his intelligence 5900 years later!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join