It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shaw Communications Has Removed It's Internet Usage Caps (For Now)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This a huge step for us Canadians seeing as we are close to being screwed over by the five largest telecommunication providers in our country!

OpenMedia.ca:

February 8, 2011 – Supporters of OpenMedia.ca’s Stop The Meter campaign are celebrating today’s move toward a more affordable Internet for all Canadians. In light of popular dissent for usage-based billing (Internet metering), Shaw Communications has announced that it will hold off on introducing that pricing scheme until the summer, if at all.

Shaw is one of Canada’s Big Five Internet service providers (ISPs), and its shift toward fairer pricing indicates that citizens, who have come out en masse in support of an affordable Internet, have effectively made their voices heard.

Steve Anderson, OpenMedia.ca’s national coordinator, said today: “We couldn’t have hoped for a better way to counter the arguments of those who have argued that the CRTC’s latest Internet metering decision affects only the small portion of Canadians who use independent ISPs."

"Ultimately, we're going to need some kind of fundamental change in the telecom industry so that we don't need half a million people to demand changes before big telecom buckles,” continued Anderson. “That said, this is a great tangible victory and another indication that telecom policy in Canada will cease to be defined by lobbyists and backroom deals. Canadians now expect a communications system that serves their interests, not just those of telecom giants."

Internet supporters everywhere are eager to find out whether Shaw will conduct truly open discussions about the merits of various pricing structures and act on consumer suggestions. Eyes will also be on Bell, Rogers, and Videotron, watching to see whether they and Shaw will continue their attempts to gouge consumers.

Let us hope this is quashed as this is, in many eyes, plain robbery!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
We the Canadian People Won't stand for this cap crap, or will have to protest at tim horton's again!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Us in Canada are getting pissed off like the rest of the world!

It's about time the government starts listening to us or their will be hell to pay!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

I had Shaw out west a few years ago when they where cheap compared to what I pay now. But the customer service out here in the east is much better, it is local. Shaw's prices still seem better but I am long ways away so I must pay.

I am glad Canadians are taking charge and making sure we don't get screwed too much when it comes to internet.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I blame Netflix............

I've watched a ton of movies.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
For years our Cable/Phone/Net provider was a local company and the next it was surprise! SHAW. But I've been pretty happy with them and am grateful a.t.m for using them!

I'm still weirded out by my HR at work being taken over by TELUS. What's up with that?

I hope this all works out. I still sign the petition, contact politicians and help out others under different ISP's.

Stop The Meter!

Take care everyone!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MetalCoffeeL

I am happy with Shaw also but if this UBB gets pushed through (as it still may) .... my opinion, more than likely, will change.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Ohh yeah, same here. Still fightin' the good fight.....they're all the same in the end.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Im gonna go Egyptian on them if this meter # goes through.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Canada is a test case country for this.

And so I say again - toll roads are only good for neighbourhood economies. For promotion of global one's, they suck.

new topics

top topics

join