It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chevron Accused Of 'World's Worst Oil-Related Disaster'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I came across this today and found it really sad. Chevron were running oil feilds in Ecuador rainforest into the 1990s and left the place in a total mess. This in nothing like the BP disaster it was no accident. They are accused of dumping milions of tonnes of toxic waste into the waterways, This is a complete disragard for human life and the rainforest.
Well the local communites are now suing Chevron for about $100 billion dollars. The pollution has devasted an area rich in biodiversity and destroyed the lifes of the local people. If we allow big business to continue operating like this we will not have a biophere left for much longer.

This is some of the local community using contaminated water. They now have the highest rates of cancer in the country.

The pollution and disragard for nature is evident to see and so are the affects on peoples health.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 9-2-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
they deserve the death penalty point blank .

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr3ws
they deserve the death penalty point blank .

i would like to see acountability of all large cooperations and a change in ethos so they do not destroy our home.
how this is done under the present system is anyones guess. As long as we live in a world were economics comes before natural resources and people this kind of thing will continue to happen.
kx

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
It is becoming more and more apparent that Oil companies do not have to answer for their actions. It seems that they can just simply do what ever is necessary to get the oil out and then leave. This is very sad

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Topsy_Cret
It is becoming more and more apparent that Oil companies do not have to answer for their actions. It seems that they can just simply do what ever is necessary to get the oil out and then leave. This is very sad

oil in my eyes is a drug the world is heavily dependant on. we need to change our habits for stuff like this to change.
funny thread lots of flags but not many comments..

kx

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

turns out that there is indeed a silver lining on that cloud of pollution... $100,000,000,000 nice one!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
There is a documentary about this called "Crude" and it shows the void between the love of money and the love of people. Numerous children and teens die of cancer caused by the polluted food/water and the docu shows the fight between an Ecuadorian lawyer and Chevrons multi-million pound legal team for justice. Unfortunately i cannot find a copy online but would recommend it to anybody interested in this case. It shows how disastrous this is when it is referred to as the "Amazon Chernobyl".

Peace and compassion

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dillydodo

turns out that there is indeed a silver lining on that cloud of pollution... $100,000,000,000 nice one!

Money can't buy time.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
In my Latin America class we actually held a case study / mock negotiation about this in class yesterday, only it was about Conoco. Because of local support, Conoco and the World Bank eventually called it a lost cause, but others still saw the potential to earn a quick buck. In our study, it was interesting to note that the land in which Conoco was being granted to drill for oil was a Reserve for indegenous people. Of course they tried to sway them by saying they would bring healthcare and education, classic mentality. We'll "modernize" you if you let us profit off your resources. Interesting thing is, since the deal went through, Conoco sold the rights and another company came in without the mentality of preserving the environment and aiding locals, something Conoco was trying to do. Simply disgusting.

200 years ago, governments took over the land of indigenous people. Now its the multinational corporations. It's like nothings changed.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Maybe someday these corporations will be brought to trial in a world court for crimes against humanity... maybe... someday... *sigh*

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The problem is, there's no one to be held accountable.
That's the reason they have teams of lawyers on-call.

You think that making these companies clean their mess will solve it?
The damage is already done.
Suing for money will help but what is needed is a massive cleanup...
Which will, more than likely, never happen.

It is a travesty what has been done to environments globally, for money.
But I look at it in two ways:

1. If the demand wasn't so massive, there wouldn't be a business.
Or you could say, if people would actually care what happens to get that gasoline...
Because of our lifestyle, there is a huge demand for oil.
So our own strive to make more money, is causing the demand.
2. If the big companies would actually care about the repercussions that take place...
Or, in other words, if there wasn't a rush to get at oil, or quota's to make.

It all adds up when you look at both sides.
Our insatiable appetite for success and money is causing things that might happen naturally.

But this is all my opinion.

So who's to blame?
That's the question...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I just can't understand how the heads of these big oil corporations, can have such a sick disregard for life in any form.

Really, how can money possibly be valued so much by these rich a$$holes? Obviously to the point where they don't care how many lives and ecosystems are destroyed for future generations.

I still think there has to be something bigger than money driving the elites agendas.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
CHEVRON is a very interesting word.

If you are looking at it from what it means in anatomy it says the following:

A chevron is one of a series of bones on the ventral (under) side of the tail in many reptiles, dinosaurs (such as Diplodocus; see picture), and some mammals such as kangaroos and manatees. Their main function is to protect critical elements in the tail such as nerves and blood vessels from being damaged when the animal either supports its weight on its tail, or pushes it against a hard surface to propel itself.

Chevron (land form), a wedge-shaped sediment deposit composed of material displaced from the ocean floor onto land by a tsunami.
Chevron in Hebrew means Hebron and no I'm not saying Jews are reptilians so get over it

Stargate (device), a component of a Stargate in the science fiction film and series Stargate

The greatest secret of all is there are no secrets. I invite you to take a book and open it to a page. Place the book page firmly to the tip of your nose. Tell me what it says.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

lol thank you for that i never thought about the meaning of chevron before....
kx

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

it's bad yes, but the irony is that those suffering with cadmium poisoning, et al, will certainly have a huge pay off... that is if the Hague have anything to say about it... there is a huge NGO who looks after indigenous tribes who may be worth talking to... the name slips my mind... then again the UN may be able to step in???

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

it's bad yes, but the irony is that those suffering with cadmium poisoning, et al, will certainly have a huge pay off... that is if the Hague have anything to say about it... there is a huge NGO who looks after indigenous tribes who may be worth talking to... the name slips my mind... then again the UN may be able to step in???

surival international i am sure they are aware of it, but your right it wont hurt to send them a link or two..
www.survivalinternational.org...

kx

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

money will not be able to replace the lost and damaged lifes or bring back the biodiversity and ecosystems that have been destroyed....

kx

new topics

top topics

join