It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA's Mind-Controlled Prosthetic Arm Could Be On the Market In Four Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

DARPA's Mind-Controlled Prosthetic Arm Could Be On the Market In Four Years

www.fastcompany.com

Finally, laypeople will benefit from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency's (DARPA) mad scientist projects (see: thinking cameras and flying Humvees). As part of its just-announced Innovation Pathway, a priority review program for breakthrough medical devices, the FDA will fast-track the review of DARPA's mind-controlled robotic arm.

The arm, which was developed at a cost of over $100 million by DARPA and Johns Hopkins University over the past five years, is controlled by a microchip in the brain. The microchip records neuron activity and decodes the signals to activate motor neu
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fastcompany.com

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Are we still really funding projects like these? $100m price tag for something that will probably never come to fruitition?

Even if it does, we've already paid $100m for it, so are they going to be free? I doubt it.

I'm really glad to see the government is kicking the habit of through exorbitant amounts of money at black holes.

www.fastcompany.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I think this is a noble project worthy of investment. Many of our wounded soldiers are returning with lost limbs. Having a prosthetic that could lessen the complete loss of an arm is huge.

This mind control concept is also probably the first generation of the project with prosthetic. Give this a few years/iterations of development and we could go from the era of bulky cellphones to a sleek nearly seemless Iphone style arm replacement.

But you got to start somewhere.
edit on 9-2-2011 by wonderboy2402 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Being one of those wounded warriors you're harping about, I can garuntee you that any of them would rather $100m be used to streamline the VA system, or even toward hiring more people to file claims.

Currently a disability claim takes 18 months to be filed. Just letting you know from the mouth of a combat veteran.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I had thought this technology was already on the market.

What is needed is a device that will connect to the remaining motor and sensory nerves so that it could function as a real arm. I would think their time would be better spent developing a medical procedure that allowed the connections of those nerves.

DARPA needs to stop wasting their incredibly well funded department on things that won't be used. But they have produced some technologies in the past. Including one ALL of us that are reading this are currently using.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I think that the idea is great.But a micro chip or a series of them could
potentially fry parts of your brain and make u a vegetable.Because in order
for this to work it still has to be connected to your nerves and it would have
to also be intigrated into tho part of your brain that deals with motor functions.Any
other thoughts?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXThat1guyXx
I think that the idea is great.But a micro chip or a series of them could
potentially fry parts of your brain and make u a vegetable.

What does it mean, "fry parts of your brain?"

How exactly is the microchip going to fry the brain?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

When any electronic receives to much information or is over worked it burns out.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXThat1guyXx

When any electronic receives to much information or is over worked it burns out.

Where does the electronic in the brain receive its information from? Is it a passive element? I'd like to know more about what type of electronic is going to fry the brain.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Amazing.. Good to see the eggheads at darpa work on something that will benefit humanity for a change. Be great to see if they do get it to work proper...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I remember seeing this arm demonstrated with a man who had lost his right arm. It was during a press event with Prince Harry, and the man was showing how he could pick up a glass of water and drink from it...

As he was sipping the cup, someone asked him a question and remarkably (in a very human and subconscious movement) brought the cup immediately back down as if the arm was totally natural and not artifical.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Well in order for it to work it would still have to be connected to our nerves.There would have to be
some sort of computer chip relating the information from the brain to the arm.Our body runs on electricity
and information.If there was something wrong with the softwar in the limb it could totally burn out that outlet
and make that part of the body un able to continue use.And since our body runs by the information received by
the brain it would in turn burn out that part of the brain.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Im not an educated man but thats just my thoughts on it

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by xXThat1guyXx

we should not be affraid of what we dont know until we know it.

we should not be sitting there and just say " the sciense progress is bad and can hurt humanity "

i think you should go out in internet . gather in4mation and even experiment and then say " it is bad "

it can turn a human into an egg.

get some knowledge and get back.

new topics

top topics

join