It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firm hacked by 'Anonymous' plotted against WikiLeaks on bank's behalf: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Firm hacked by 'Anonymous' plotted against WikiLeaks on bank's behalf: report

www.rawstory.com

Three data intelligence firms concocted a plan to attack WikiLeaks on behalf of Bank of America, according to a published report.

The three firms, Palantir Technologies, HBGary Federal and Berico Technologies, planned to "disrupt" Salon.com columnist Glenn Greenwald's support of WikiLeaks, create a disinformation campaign to discredit the secrets outlet, sow discord among WikiLeaks volunteers, and use cyber attacks to target the website's infrastructure
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Maybe a better headline should say "the empire strikes back".

This is a tip off that Wikileaks has something on BofA. Also Glen Greenwald was recently seriously ill with dengue fever.

On November 30, just hours after Raw Story first unearthed evidence that WikiLeaks held data exposing corruption at Bank of America, bank executives held a late-night conference call to discuss damage control, the New York Times reported.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Depending on who you talk to... this is an open and shut case that...

Wikileaks is a government front, that is now being attacked to legitimize it.

Wikileaks is under attack to prevent it from releasing info.

If I were under attack, I would release the info.

I still don't know whether I believe the intentions of WikiLeaks. I personally don't think it matters anymore. They have become a household name and will eventually be synonomous with corruption no matter what.

In the end, they haven't done enough in most people's eyes, and a release like this could lend them credit.

Of course, the other side of that coin is that some will see the targetting of a single bank as an attempt to squeeze out competition.

It's endless isn't it?

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Wait a second, let me get this straight... When anon does it it's a cybercrime and FBI are on them but when these pigs do it it's business and they're left alone? Hypocrisy

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Yes it's hard to know who your friends are these days.

Wikileaks is given credit for the Tunisian rebellion and as an extension Egypt. That would be pretty big for any single website but I cannot help feeling uneasy.

If they somehow bring down Bank of America I might be persuaded.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Here's the document they were spreading to use against Wikileaks / Assange

wikileaks.ch...

VERY interesting insight.

WITH SOME VERY INTERESTING PHOTO'S!
edit on 9-2-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It appears the US Department of Justice recommended these security firms to Bank of America!

From Computerworld:

"The WikiLeaks Threat" outlines a plan by three private data intelligence firms, Palantir Technologies, HBGary Federal, and Berico Technologies, which were hired to effectively combat and attack WikiLeaks. The intel firms were "acting upon request from Hunton and Williams, a law firm working for Bank of America." According to The Tech Herald, "Hunton and Williams were recommended to Bank of America's general council by the Department of Justice. Hunton and Williams would act as outside counsel on retainer, while Palantir would take care of network and insider threat investigations. For their part, Berico Technologies and HBGary Federal would analyze WikiLeaks

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

These are established professionals that have a liberal bent, but ultmately most of them if pushed will choose professional preservaton over cause, such is the mentality of most business professionals. • Without the support of people like Glenn wikileaks would fold.

for this.

edit on 9/2/2011 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Thanks for the link!!!

I found this snippet describing the control of Glen Greenwald to be disturbing. How is it they know they will be able to threaten the proffesional livelihood of whistleblowers and their supporters?

These are established professionals thathave a liberal bent,
but ul6mately most of them if pushed will choose professional preserva6on over
cause, such is the mentality of most business professionals.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

You beat me to it...Unbelievable the hubris... or perhaps it is realistic considering the state of the world.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

wikileaks.ch...

Page 13 Regarding how to Combat Wikileaks:
Speed is crucial!
– There is no time to develop an infrastructure to support this investigation. The threat demands a comprehensive analysis capability now.

Page 14, Potential Proactive Tactics:

1) Feed the fuel between the feuding groups. Disinformation. Create messages around actions to sabotage or discredit the opposing organization. Submit fake documents and then call out the error.

2) Create concern over the security of the infrastructure. Create exposure stories. If the process is believed to not be secure they are done. (IE- Create stories about someone getting caught submitting documents.)

3) Cyber attacks against the infrastructure to get data on document submitters (See #2). This would kill the project. Since the servers are now in Sweden and France putting a team together to get access is more straightforward.

4) Media campaign.

5) Search for leaks. Use social media to profile and identify risky behavior in employees. (IE- yes, they already have access to your facebook, myspace, youtube and twitter accounts. Which is what I've told you for as long as I've been a member.)

It gets worse from there, and whether this document is real or not.. Most, if not all, is being implemented.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
What is the legal stance on cyber attack, or threatened cyber attacks for that matter.

To add I had a look and this is one link,

itlaw.wikia.com...

edit on 9-2-2011 by smurfy because: Add link.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
well in the light of anons recent counter attack on the internet security company that wanted to sell there info to the fbi.
maybe they will hit these boys next...

kx

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Personally, I am skeptical of WikiLeaks.

But I love what Anonymous is doing. I have gained so much respect for them through all of this. They are leading a non-violent revolution. Why people are not fully supporting this I will never know.

If I knew the slightest thing about hacking, I would join them. But alas, I do not.

Good job, Anonymous.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Whether or not Wikileaks is a government ran organization it is blatantly clear that Anonymous is not, and Anonymous is showing the hypocrisy of the U.S. government and corruption elsewhere, proving the point that the government some people believe is for us, is actually against us.

At what point is it OK to let corporations scam?

Never, and that is not something a government should be protecting.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Ugh!! You beat me to it! I was going to post this. This is why we have the search engine though, right (I think I've already seen a couple duplicates)?

Why would BofA spend buttloads of money to 'retaliate" against Wikileaks....What are they hiding?? Anonymous, I feel, has really done us a service! I can't wait to see where this leads.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Originally posted by mr-lizard

wikileaks.ch...

Page 13 Regarding how to Combat Wikileaks:
Speed is crucial!
– There is no time to develop an infrastructure to support this investigation. The threat demands a comprehensive analysis capability now.

Page 14, Potential Proactive Tactics:

1) Feed the fuel between the feuding groups. Disinformation. Create messages around actions to sabotage or discredit the opposing organization. Submit fake documents and then call out the error.

2) Create concern over the security of the infrastructure. Create exposure stories. If the process is believed to not be secure they are done. (IE- Create stories about someone getting caught submitting documents.)

3) Cyber attacks against the infrastructure to get data on document submitters (See #2). This would kill the project. Since the servers are now in Sweden and France putting a team together to get access is more straightforward.

4) Media campaign.

5) Search for leaks. Use social media to profile and identify risky behavior in employees. (IE- yes, they already have access to your facebook, myspace, youtube and twitter accounts. Which is what I've told you for as long as I've been a member.)

It gets worse from there, and whether this document is real or not.. Most, if not all, is being implemented.

I swear this stuff should be stickied at the top of the forum

I see people even on ATS falling for this crap ALL THE TIME.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Valdestine

The reason people fall for this is because when its news, people simply absorb the news from whatever news service they consider reliable. Reliable also means they suspend their disbelief and absorb without questioning. When any outsider group becomes suspect, its easy to twist the sentiment attached to create animosity and suspicion. Outsider groups are suspicious anyway, and if an established service denigrates them, then its easy to discredit.

I hold my suspicions as to whether WikiLeaks is a shill or not - I am ambivalent simply because they haven't dropped anything that is a real game-changer - and they are supposed to have gamechanger information. Until they make someone crap their shorts in public or otherwise drop those gamechanging bombs, then its all crap - encrypted insurance file to the side or not.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Update: Palantir apologizes for Proposal to Attack Wikileaks

Looks like if your a corporation you can apologize when you commit a felony!

top topics

join