It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dealing With Hoaxers on the UFO and Aliens Forum

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

lol calm down but yes i agree....for someone who doesnt like apparent hoaxers, to make a thread about them is giving them what they want.

however we are all entiteled to our opinions...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
can i also ask purely out of curiosity, why is it just the hoaxers in the ufo forums? why not in all forums? surely to not like hoaxers would mean them all right?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander

Originally posted by troubleshooter
reply to post by Pimander

I also think it would be helpful to have a 'threaded mode'...
...so that thread development can be seen as a whole...
...and individual points can be chased down...
....without each new post being added to the end.

I post to another forum that uses vBulletin software and most run the threads in hybrid mode...
...so individual arguements can be followed...
...the linear mode ATS runs in does not allow for close analysis...
...because major points get lost.

I would love to be able to look at an explorer like tree and see an overview of the points...
...and know easily when someone has answered my question/comments.

I think this approach would reveal hoaxes more quickly.

I think it would be a massive help on the more complex threads. But who controls the threading? The OP (who has to sleep) or the mods, who have a hard enough job already.

The threading controls itself...
...if I want to follow up on an individual post I post directly to it...
...and it appears on the 'tree' in that position, rather than lost at the end...
...mods can still monitor in linear mode or monitor new posts...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder

lol calm down but yes i agree....for someone who doesnt like apparent hoaxers, to make a thread about them is giving them what they want.

I agree totally. It is threads like this one and the fact that so many people get upset over it. Why get mad as hell, all while the hoaxer is getting their jollies off? It is obvious that such individuals are lonely and desire attention. Attention is what they are after, a need to feel like the center of it all.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

not everyone on ats conforms to the same ideas or the same way of thinking, to wish or hope for such a thing would ruin the site, secondly to call people hoaxers because they have a genuine belief that something is fact is below the belt.

I'm not talking about debate, belief, way of thinking or opinion. Please read the thread I referred to in the opening post. It was an actual hoax (i.e. just a made up story, which is not allowed in UFOs and Aliens) and the member will probably be banned. Time waster basically. The site motto is meant to be 'Deny Ignorance'.

Some of us are busy but have a genuine interest in the topic. If we spend our lives reading that crap, we never get to engage the interesting material.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

Because it is easy in the ufo forum for example if someone debunks your logic you can always go back and say well it was a ufo it was a unidentified flying object. And everyone will just assume you made a mistake and it was something that could be explained away. Happens all th time thats why i don't take anything on the ufo boards serious any more.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
"By posting pointless garbage it makes the thread a waste of our time and assists the hoaxer. Asking for evidence then withdrawing stops you from fanning the flames and ruins their little game."

I have to dissagree a little. I posted on the said thread. I believe that the more times you can get a hoaxer to reply, the easier it is to bust the losers. Their flames are already fanned from the get go, or they would not take the time to try to fool everybody.

My point is that without the video the debate was pointless and reading it a waste of time. So you wait for the video. If it appears, then debate away

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by planetzog
How was the person able to create the thread in the first place?

I think they normally post their thread in the ''introductions'' section of the board, and it then gets moved to the relevant forum ( either the ''gray area'' or ''[HOAX!]'' ) after they have reached 20 posts.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I am always looking for the evidence but I like for people to get the whole story out. This site has turned into nothing more than entertainment for me. I would like to take it seriously but every time somebody has the smoking gun evidence on any thread, people ignore it. Not only does most people ignore the facts, like after a story was explained by a poster, detailed and definitely the answer. People still deny the facts, or ignore them. This is not the way to go about looking for the truth.

Why should I go through all of the trouble to look up facts for people when the facts are shunned or totally discarded? You want to talk about a waste of time. This is more a waste of time to me then to let someone claim that they are the witness to some extraordinary event and get them to talk more about it to feed more clues to their agenda or whatever. Besides I think it is kind of funny. I am over the frustration that you feel as I have felt it before. I am tired of spending copious amounts of time trying to help somebody understand something when nobody gives a crap. People want to believe their little mumbo jumbo fairy tales and deny factual evidence.

I have noticed a lot of what you say here. I play around occasionally pretending to believe something or otherwise to try to 'suss out' members I suspect of having an agenda. Most of the time though I respectfully keep my thoughts to myself, although I occasionally make exceptions (sorry ignorethefacts
)
edit on 9/2/11 by Pimander because: typo

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

yes we are,so true.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Here is an example of a forum that can be run in a hybrid linear and threaded mode...
...ideal for focused discussion needed on ATS to solve potential hoax problems...

forums.carm.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527
Its called debating, being though we all are not experts,this is why we talk and debate on issues.
I dont care what a person says on the ats on any other forum,its not garbage,they just dont know,and then after debatting and chatting,we as a human race will uplift that persons thoughtS to a credible one.
what i think,i think this thread is garbage....PERIOD !
'GARBAGE'...TUH!
edit on 9-2-2011 by Immortalgemini527 because: (no reason given)

Are you OK

I can't stop you from debating with somebody about the fact that they have said that they are going to post a video but haven't yet. However, I maintain that it is a waste of time

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

can i also ask purely out of curiosity, why is it just the hoaxers in the ufo forums? why not in all forums? surely to not like hoaxers would mean them all right?

Thats what i said to myself ,he or she is acting like the ats has hoaxers,we get the videos and information from other places,and then we put them up in threads,how is it we are the hoaxers?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Of course it is annoying in any forum.

Greeneyedleo moved my thread from the forum where the hoax was (UFO and Aliens, where it would have got spotted my all the irritated members who had been hoaxed). I changed the title in the vein hope that she might move it back to there.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
i would like to add to this, how about the thread made by the member where he and his dad shot at the alien wich turned out to be a wild hoax, not only is he not banned at all but did not even recieve any kind of punishment , but i call someone an idiot and i get a 1000 point deduction, ya this is a great website...........

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

Here is an example of a forum that can be run in a hybrid linear and threaded mode...
...ideal for focused discussion needed on ATS to solve potential hoax problems...

forums.carm.org...

It's an interesting format. Thanks for your input.

I have a feeling it might not see the light of day on ATS, although it would be a nice option for an OP to have when a debate is likely to get complicated. I also agree that it makes trolling much harder.

Perhaps you should consider starting a thread on this forum. You could explain the format and make a case for it's advantages. I'd like to see a limited trial on ATS of other formats at least given some thought by the owners.
edit on 9/2/11 by Pimander because: typo

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Hi There,

Just to respond to the query of how someone can have a *live* thread out in the main forums when they have less than 20 posts:

(Bear in mind this is a generalised response and may not be directly applicable to the thread being discussed here)

Sure, there is a reasonably *firm-ish* rule in place - though I'd see it as more an expectation - that the Intro Forum is, well, for Introductions only...

Its not at all uncommon for Non-Intro threads started in the Intro Forum to get deleted.

There are - as you have witnessed - occasions however when that rule gets over-ridden.

Threads started in the Introduction Section can find themselves moved out into the main forums for a number of reasons:

- There are times when by the time Staff have been Alerted to the thread, or have happened across it themselves, the thread had in some ways taken a life of its own.
There may well be numerous replies to it already from numerous Members...and the discussion may already be well underway.
So rather than completely tick off a whole bunch of people by locking or trashing a good discussion, we/Staff may simply *usher* that discussion into the appropriate main Forum and let it continue there.
So rather than Staff being a big-meanie-pants-librarian and just *shushing* everyone who is speaking in the library, we merely direct the conversation to the adjoining Cafe.

- A reviewing Staff Member might think that the thread needs to be tossed out into the main forums right then and there. Reasons for that are many. It might be a really interesting topic, it might be a very pertinent topic, it might be any number of things. The reviewing Staff Member makes a call whether the thread needs to be left, locked, lost or made live.

Ultimately while there are rules in place...they're applied with Staff discretion.
We don't always make the right call though in how we might apply them...but hopefully we can achieve a decent batting average in spite of a few foul balls...

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I consider this thread to be completely narrow minded, knee jerk skepticism ,which means its not true skepticism either, demeaning and censorship.. There are millions of things that are either over your head (ie, you live in a box and glorify it and like to call everyone out of the box names) or you're really working for the para military shadow government controllers, there is no third, oh.....maybe you're a bully who found a way online to bully anyone who sees anything that the public is being controlled to not ask questions about. So I guess there could be a third.

Wake up. Look up.. Oh, I suggest meditating alot first and actually asking for help at overcomign the negativity in your own views of the world, bascially we need to overcome the dark squares in the black and white checkerboard floor, and we draw what our state of heart, mind and spirit is, to ourselves. This is a duality, so I don't recommend those who are not awake, aware, actively looking below the matrix, and seeking to escape the box they're in, and who put down others in what seems to me to be the typical campaign to discredit anything they want people to stay unaware of, and poke alot of fun at it too, the counter intelligence bascially. I don't recommend anyone go under the stars unless, loving positive, pro humanity and freedom/equality and loving caring people who want the truth revealed to all, because there are bad experiences people can have too.

Those who seek will find.
edit on 9-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527
Thats what i said to myself ,he or she is acting like the ats has hoaxers,we get the videos and information from other places,and then we put them up in threads,how is it we are the hoaxers?

The member did NOT post a hoax youtube or something like that. That is NOT what I am referring to.

Please will you read the bloody link in the OP and you will see that it is (unless the video appears) obviously a hoax. That makes the member a hoaxer.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
sorry, but i'm a tad bit confused here.
is the only real problem the fact that the op mentioned a video and never posted it, or that everyone thinks it's all false?
this is ats, wouldn't the latter mean that anyone proclaiming a religious experience or basically anything supernatural would automatically go to the hoax forum also?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join