It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cross platform Multiplayer Games.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Is it just me or do you sometimes wish that all consoles including PC along with the Xbox 360 and the PS3, allowed you to play multiplayer games over other platforms? Personally i think that game developers should take this into concideration as a new step to multiplayer layers in games.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKiryu

It's been attempted before between the 360 and PC. The PC players absolutely destroyed the 360 players each and every time though because of the superiority of a mouse compared to an analog stick.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

That's too bad... I play on PC and most of my friends are on PS3. Thanks for the reason.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
ps3 = limited console

xbox - limited console

pc= unlimted console .

its just a matter of time before we get an emulator to connect all these consoles . I think it will come with Being able to bet on video games. and being able to play multiplatform games together online . In internet 2.0 or something . The bandwidth the processing power would have to be greatly increased before any such things come.

It will be a hub for all limited and unlimited consoles to connect into one mega server that decodes all consoles into a universal language of online multiplayer gaming.

maybe even bring the nintendo and sega back to and connect some how lool

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
There is one I know of and was developed with that intent in mind, Shadow Run, pretty cool game, Like Modern Warfare with magic and teleportation and you could play online with Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, possible more. It would be really cool though if they could do that with black ops but to much money involved.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I will admit there will never be a better console to play games on than a PC, but i think with time console gamers could begin to increase their standard and actually include skill in their games.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
As in, if you buy and Xbox,Ps3 or what ever, you should still be able to conect to the same Internet - and have mass online battles via all consoles, on the same connections?

yes that would be badass..But im guessing Xbox and Sony want the biggest parts of the market for them selves? If they have the best net (Which xbox has at the moment) Then they have the most customers.

At the mo, Xbox is way ahead of Sony with online users. So the only company i would see from benefitting from that would be Sony?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yeah PC players are too good for Xbox players. Using a keyboard and mouse gives you the edge over xbox. I play both and prefer PC. Althought I do like the xbox too.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulos

Yeah i agree with you 100% im also both an Xbox gamer and a PC gamer and a mouse and Keyboard is just so much better than a console control pad.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Here's one article I found about it

Link

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
i use multiplayer games on pc mainly and really wish could play with other platforms such as my friend on his non pc. im sure the modern consoles have keyboard and mouse options. i guess they really want me to buy a console as well to match and to play with friend

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

wow nice, it is a shame still in my opinion, if console gameres could only compete with a good old mouse and keyboard.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sorry, not trying to get off topic, but I think what needs to be done is online game sales and possibly even rentals. Imagine the day you can turn on your console and purchase games the day or even hour they are released. It makes no sense why this isn't already in fruition. I would also think it would make prices lower as there would be no need for discs, cases, nor middlemen (Gamestop, etc).

Just a thought, once again, I do apologize for getting off topic.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKiryu

They want money, so i doubt anytime soon you could do this.

Maybe it could be done on consoles and pc, but why would they. These people want money and you to pay for the online experience on all platforms.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Son79

Thats a very good point, and i agree with you entirely. I Know the microsoft have started somthing like this with their games on demand on the xbox 360 dashboard, and steam can allow you to do that already on the PC, but if all 3 could implement this, and cross platform multiplayer i think that would be a huge step forward for gaming.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Son79

Thats a very good point, and i agree with you entirely. I Know the microsoft have started somthing like this with their games on demand on the xbox 360 dashboard, and steam can allow you to do that already on the PC, but if all 3 could implement this, and cross platform multiplayer i think that would be a huge step forward for gaming.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Yeah, Steam already allows you to buy and install most new games completely digitally, sometimes even before the official in-store release. My current desktop hasn't even had an optical drive for the past 2 years in favor of more hard drives

Anyways, widespread cross-platform gameplay wouldn't be good for business for Microsoft so they'll probably never do it. You'd have most console players refusing to play against PC players because of the huge advantage of a mouse. They couldn't just simply release a mouse/keyboard for the 360 either because developers would have to go back and patch the 360 version of games to recognize and use a mouse/keyboard. I'd almost guarantee though that the next generation of consoles will likely have the option available from the start.

I'd really hate it if cross-platform became the norm anyways because you can bet Microsoft would start charging a subscription fee for Windows-LIVE multiplayer use just like they do for XBox Live.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
One reason is all the hacks, mods, and bots for the PC versions, plus all the blatent theft of games for the PC versions. This drives game companies that want to actually, you know, make money and pay their developers and a support staff -- to produce console games.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SunSword

People say stuff like this all the time, but it's hardly backed up. Take the company CryTek for example. They began exclusively on PC. They did so well, they're on their 3rd game and now have the money to branch out to consoles. They've always been at the forefront of graphics technology in gaming.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

There's 3 Farcry games (2nd on consoles/Farcry instincts) plus however many Crysis games.

The point is valid about hacks, bots and mods. Though peeps hack X-box's it's quite rare to see a modder, though I've seen a few in Liberty City.

But on PC it's just everyone.

Ofcourse piracy hurts the companies, I don't understand were your coming from.
edit on 9-2-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2 >>

join