It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama seeks longer PATRIOT Act extension than Republicans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
LOL!!!

And more change you can believe in folks!

Dumbyas third term becomes the neoconian proverbial wet dream.

OBUSHa apologists descending in 3....2....1!

Faced with a looming vote on a planned one-year extension of special powers authorized in the USA PATRIOT Act, the Obama White House did not object or propose reforms, as the president vowed to do as a candidate.

The Obama administration instead asked Congress to grant those powers for an additional three years.

Continued:

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I apologize for not supporting Obu#ler and viewing government as an organisation of criminal looting thieves hell bent on destroying civilized society.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The person that wrote this article got his facts mixed up Obama wanted to extend it for three years the GOP wanted to make them permanent.

The House GOP sought an eight-month extension to give leaders time to prepare for an attempt this year to make the law permanent, potentially inserting the national security debate into the presidential campaign season.

House GOP fumbles on Patriot Act renewal

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
The person that wrote this article got his facts mixed up Obama wanted to extend it for three years the GOP wanted to make them permanent.

The House GOP sought an eight-month extension to give leaders time to prepare for an attempt this year to make the law permanent, potentially inserting the national security debate into the presidential campaign season.

For now, though, the House has voted down an extension. That's a start.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

So if someone supports a criminal act for a short period of time, they are fine.

But if they support engaging in criminal activity forever, they are evil?

No.

They are both evil, and equally so.

Obama does not get a pass, and we can thank the tea party republicans for standing up with the democrats and at least blocking the initial passage of this bill.

Obama could veto this thing, but of course, he will not.

edit on 9-2-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Three years or permanent makes no difference to me, it needs to be done away with all together. Even with it being voted down it's not dead yet and if it is killed I would bet that it will continue illegally.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
So if someone supports a criminal act for a short period of time, they are fine.

But if they support engaging in criminal activity forever, they are evil?

No.

That was not what I was getting from the article and the point being presented in that post. I believe it was that the premise of this thread and title are rather less than honest.

They are both evil, and equally so.

Not according to the OP.

Obama seeks longer PATRIOT Act extension than Republicans

See, the title did need a bit of refutation.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Actually, one group of republicans just had their proposal to extend it to December voted down which is probably what the OP was referring to.

That didn't take a whole lot of effor to figure out.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think Obama is scared.
Scared that if he vetos this extension
that he will wind up the next JFK.

More campaign promises broken,
tsk tsk tsk

how many are we up to now ???

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I think Obama is scared.
Scared that if he vetos this extension
that he will wind up the next JFK.

Agreed that he is taken the middle road, so as to not completely offend or lose anyone.

Nah, not like JFK. More like Carter - irrelevant and not re-elected.

So, he appeases some of the Republicans by not completely abandoning it while at the same time lying to those he promised he would get rid of it but having an expire date to keep them hoping.

Just like he's done in the Egypt situation.

Obama is trying to hard to please everyone, so instead of doing anything firmly we see nothing but indecision. He's beginning to appear like a weakling or puppet. A smarter man than Bush, but not as wise.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Personally it would not matter either way.

The patriot act mainly is for america to do what it wants abroad, and you telling me america is going to be stopping there crimes because of a vote by weak people, whose votes mean nothing. Come on.

No matter if its voted for or not, the president is not stopping americas crimes.

The general public are lied too about this, its mainly to do anything abroad, as america can do anything already to its own citizens.

You see the patriot act means america can target anyone or thing abroad, and thats what the nwo needs, he authority of legal papers to do this. Its got nothing to do with american citizens, who can be targeted anytime the gov wanted.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

I never said it was a good or bad thing that was never the point of my post. I should have said facts left out. Like how the article is nothing more than a deliberate attempt to mislead the readers by leaving out facts that shows the headline to be nothing more than a lie.

top topics

join