It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daily Diet Soda Tied to Higher Risk for Stroke, Heart Attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Daily Diet Soda Tied to Higher Risk for Stroke, Heart Attack

www.msnbc.msn.com

Just as you were starting to feel virtuous for having switched from sugary sodas to low- or no-calorie substitutes, a new study comes along suggesting that diet sodas might be bad for your head and your heart.

The study, which followed more than 2,500 New Yorkers for nine or more years, found that".....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Ok so I am thinking, well that's one more thing I will have to do without until I read a little further in the article:

Still, the researchers aren’t ready to tell consumers to skip diet sodas. More studies need to be done before that happens, said the report’s lead author Hannah Gardener, an epidemiologist at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

Whew....

then:

People with a lot of risk factors for vascular disease, might want to reduce the amount of diet soda they consume,” Jovin said. “Those risk factors would include high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, smoking, a family history of cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome and a history of cardiovascular events.

Ok....ATS members, will you continue or not, to drink diet sodas?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9/2/11 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Feb 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: added EXTERNAL QUOTE TAGS

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I quit drinking that crap a long time ago.

Aspartame poisoning is serious.

Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:

Eye
blindness in one or both eyes
decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
pain in one or both eyes
decreased tears
trouble with contact lenses
bulging eyes

Ear
tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
severe intolerance of noise
marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
epileptic seizures
headaches, migraines and (some severe)
dizziness, unsteadiness, both
confusion, memory loss, both
severe drowsiness and sleepiness
paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
severe slurring of speech
severe hyperactivity and restless legs
atypical facial pain
severe tremors

see the article for further info
www.sweetpoison.com...
edit on Wed Feb 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yes that stuff is toxic sludge, do a search for ASPARTAME on ats, several informative and scary threads. Including people who were addicted and quit and health problems cleared up.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

I would never drink diet drinks, just drink normal coca cola if you want, stay away from diet drinks.

Enough said, like above.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I used to work as a cook and one of the perks was free soda drinks and coffee. As a diabetic, i indulged in up to six diet soft drinks a shift, working in a hot kitchen, you drive the fluids in you...after awhile i would get intense headaches, nausau and at one time, i vomitted. A co-worker told me about the aspartame connection and after a bit of online research, i cut the diet pop (and the sugar twins for my coffee) and the headaches and sickness stopped. I was going through a lot of personal stress in those days and along with the aspartame, i also gave up smoking and the drinking, which i knew were killing me.

i still indulge in a diet pop once in awhile, when i found that coke zero tasted like the coke of my childhood, it became a guilty pleasure.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm surprised I'm not already dead..

2nd

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicorette

I have been previously directed to sites like the one below by persons who are in the pre- drug release testing business, who indicate that there is no problem. Of course one needs to analyze both sides of any issue before making a determination.

www.aspartame.org...

This of course supports the other side of the coin. hmmmm......

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
A little bit more info.

METHANOL (AKA WOOD ALCOHOL/POISON) (10% OF ASPARTAME) Methanol/wood alcohol is a deadly poison. People may recall that methanol was the poison that has caused some "skid row" alcoholics to end up blind or dead. Methanol is gradually released in the small intestine when the methyl group of aspartame encounter the enzyme chymotrypsin.

The absorption of methanol into the body is sped up considerably when free methanol is ingested. Free methanol is created from aspartame when it is heated to above 86 Fahrenheit (30 Centigrade). This would occur when aspartame-containing product is improperly stored or when it is heated (e.g., as part of a "food" product such as Jello).

I have also read that it could be linked to Gulf War Syndrome. As the troops were drinking soda's that had been heated up in the sun.

www.dorway.com...
edit on 9/2/11 by NonKonphormist because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Feb 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is honestly very important to me because I'm dropping at least three a day.

Other than unfluoridated/filtered water and fresh-squeezed juice, there's nothing else you can drink that's not going to hurt you.....eventually

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I lost 5kg within a few weeks of ceasing to drink fruit juices with about the same amount of sugar by volume as ordinary sodas, and "switching" to diet sodas.

I am sure that msot of hte chemicals I ingest are crap - but I'm buggered if I'm going to eat raw vegetables and distilled water for the rest of my life.

thansk for the info - now my choice is better informed than before.

My answer ..... I'll take my chances

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Does anyone else notice that people who drink diet soda tend to eat unhealthy?

Or is that just a misconception on my part?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I tried diet soda when it first came out, and I spit it out all over my shoes.

Never drank it after that.

It doesn't taste....real... it tastes like a supermodels lack of curves...

eweeee

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

In some cases that is true. You will for example, be behind someone in a line at Wendy's, ordering a
double cheeseburger, biggie fries, a chocolate shake, and they will say, go ahead and add a diet coke
to that, I guess I should do something good today.....hmmm

Most of the time I try to eat healthy, but diet sodas are a vice, if you can call it that, that I continue
to use. If I were ordering something at Wendy's for example, instead of the above, it would be a single hamburger, baked potato, one margarine, and yes, a diet drink......

I will agree that it is however a lot better to prepare your own meals if possible, and avoid foods high in fat, etc.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

You're absolutely right, I'm good for about 2 to 5 diet sodas a day and I eat almost exclusively horrible food. At this point I couldn't switch back to regular soda if I wanted to it's way too sweet for me now after years of drinking diet.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

probably a bit of confirmation bias creeping in there - you notice the fat folks drinking diet soda and thing "wtf do they bother??"
But you don't notice the skinny ones drinking it.

I drink it exclusivley when I drink soda - my other drinks are black tea, water, white wine and beer

Most of my lunches are along the lines of avocado, salad. tomao, cheese, with spiced pork, ham or pastrami, on whole wheet breads - dinner depends ...sometiems it is crap....othertimes lots of veges & lean meat....depends on how lazy I feel

edit on 9-2-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The article is kind of generic. By using the term "diet sodas" we can only guess that they are talking about aspartame.

However, there are diet sodas that do not use it, such as Diet-Rite, Diet RC Cola, Pepsi One, and Wal-green's even has their own brand soda, all of those use Splenda, and not aspartame.

I hope they are not talking about those too, but it doesn't really say.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloist
The article is kind of generic. By using the term "diet sodas" we can only guess that they are talking about aspartame.

However, there are diet sodas that do not use it, such as Diet-Rite, Diet RC Cola, Pepsi One, and Wal-green's even has their own brand soda, all of those use Splenda, and not aspartame.

I hope they are not talking about those too, but it doesn't really say.

Good point! Does anyone know anything good or bad about "Splenda"?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
As others have said, aspartame is nasty stuff for sure.

It would be very wise to cut out all of the following:

All artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors; especially aspartame
High fructose corn syrup
White sugar
Bleached flour
Hydrogenated oils
Monosodium glutamate
Processed salt

And it would be wise to add to our diet–instead of the above–the following:

All-Natural stevia or truvia
Natural cane sugar or brown sugar
Whole wheat or unbleached flour
Liquid aminos or unprocessed salt

edit on 9-2-2011 by Tamahu because: edited text

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Other than unfluoridated/filtered water and fresh-squeezed juice, there's nothing else you can drink that's not going to hurt you.....eventually

sorry to inform you Dr. Love that your OJ
has acid in it and will cause stomach ulcers.
or at least that is what I've been told

top topics

<<   2 >>

join