It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most disturbing video game I have ever played

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Dead Space 2 is a survival horror third-person shooter. The player controls Isaac Clarke from a third-person point of view. Isaac must fight an alien organism that infects and takes control of human corpses, turning them into "Necromorphs", mutating their bodies. Necromorphs must be dismembered as the alien organism controls host bodies via tentacles extending into their limbs.

This game has some of the most gruesome deaths I have ever seen in any type of media. I would say this game is scarier than any horror movie I have ever seen, and more disturbing than a previous video game released called Manhunt, which was banned from the US and many other countries.

Here is a collection of many deaths throughout the game:

What is your take on this video game?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think i will not watch but i can imagine. Games are basically simulators today, and you guys know these are aimed alot at teens. I never play such games as 3d shooters or 1st person shooters. I may be alone in that thinking but i would never play a game like that.

My 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Meh the game isn't that good. The difference between this and manhunt and manhunt 2 was you were killing humans, in dead space you are killing mutant zombie dealies. Really though, there are plenty of gory games out there, this is just a fairly new one.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
manhunt is awesome. i love the kill scenes. takes gaming to the extreme

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I don't want to rock your world but this is pretty tame stuff compared to some movies I've seen.

Kinda disappointing after your overstatement.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Games are basically simulators today

I hear that a lot these days about games. So lets use dead space 2 as a reference. Sure, when we are exploring space in the future and the space station malfunctions and you are the only mechanic sent to fix it while it's infested with alien zombies, this is a perfect "simulator" for that series of events.

People like to moan about first person shooters being murder simulators. Well almost all of them are military, so get over that. As well, I'm not exactly sure how clicking a mouse in a seated position in an airconditioned room is simulating loading, aiming, cocking, and firing a weapon.

I isn't. No one forces anyone to play these games. the problem comes with lazy parents that don't read the warnings and buy games for their teens that aren't legally allowed to play them.

these are aimed alot at teens

you can say that, but the ratings disagree, they aren't made for teens, they are made for mature adults and are rated M, a teenager can not legally purchase these games at a store. Online would require a credit card which is essentially an age check in itself.

They are just games people

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
i hate to burst your bubble...but that video is all of dead space one death scenes

and honestly...dead space isnt really that bad...its just really bloody...personally i think the silent hill series is scarrier because its your own personal hell being brought to life...and the gore isnt always shown so the mind is left to wonder whats happening

but dead space is a very scary game...and thats the fun of it

edit on 9-2-2011 by dorkidori_s13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Cool, I wish my video card was better so I could play the latest shooters.

Deebo

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Not as disturbing as Manhunt (now that was messed up, especially the "hacking off heads" bit)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
i actually did not care much for this game . But after that preview in the OP i can't wait to go play this game. Super excited .

Of course its a disturbing game. Its what the gamer fans of that genre want! more sick twisted crazy simulation of events where your the hero !

This game should be not played by the weak at heart and i agree for some this is not the right game. But for those of us who have our heads on our shoulders , responsible , mature and won't act out video games lool this is gravey !!!

Oh i would also reccomend Amnesia

Play this game Dark Room. Alone. Loud Sound You wil be 30 seconds from #ting your pants and you will keep reminding your self its only a game....its only a game... loool

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dorkidori_s13

Attempt #2 to reply (stupid virgin mobile mifi *grumble grumble*)

Silent Hill (can't remember which one) really scared me. It's the one where you are walking around in fog with nothing but the sound of a staticky radio that only got louder when something was approaching you. That is the kind of thing that gets me. Gore I can handle.

To whoever posted about some movies being worse....YES! Example: Dead Alive (directed by the great Peter Jackson of LotR fame). Hint: a prop lawn mower that spewed out several gallons of fake blood a second!
edit on 9-2-2011 by angrymomma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I read about Amnesia in Game Informer and couldn't remember the name of it when I wanted to find it! Sweet, time wash all my pants.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by andy1033

Games are basically simulators today

I hear that a lot these days about games. So lets use dead space 2 as a reference. Sure, when we are exploring space in the future and the space station malfunctions and you are the only mechanic sent to fix it while it's infested with alien zombies, this is a perfect "simulator" for that series of events.

People like to moan about first person shooters being murder simulators. Well almost all of them are military, so get over that. As well, I'm not exactly sure how clicking a mouse in a seated position in an airconditioned room is simulating loading, aiming, cocking, and firing a weapon.

I isn't. No one forces anyone to play these games. the problem comes with lazy parents that don't read the warnings and buy games for their teens that aren't legally allowed to play them.

these are aimed alot at teens

you can say that, but the ratings disagree, they aren't made for teens, they are made for mature adults and are rated M, a teenager can not legally purchase these games at a store. Online would require a credit card which is essentially an age check in itself.

They are just games people

actually many underage teens over thousands purchase rated m games at flea markets where vendors sell any game to anyone regardless of age.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
While I won't say this game isn't graphic, it pales in comparison if you look at Dante's Inferno, made to be a "God of War" type game for the Xbox. Just an example, when you fight Cleopatra (think Hellraiser style), she is basically a giant set of naked breasts, with little babies with scythes as arms coming out of her nipples. At least she's got hands to throw them at you. And that's just one quick example. But, it was also one of the best games I've played on the 360, so if you are able to disassociate the gratuitous-nous from the gameplay, i.e. be an adult, you should be fine.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The scariest experience I've ever had playing a video game was definetly the first Silent Hill. Sure, it wasn't very visually impressive. The atmosphere it had though... still gives me chills. It used to take me like an hour to convince myself to go in somewhere that I knew something was waiting for me and then I'd freak out and run back out at the first noise.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
i hate to tell you but that vid is of deadspace 1 not deadspace 2

which i have just completed and it is more gory than the first

but nothing i havnt seen in other video games

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
where did you hear that manhunt got banned from the us? cause I just looked it up and it's still for sale on amazon and googling it turned up nothing about manhunt being banned from the us.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Horrifying? Silent Hill, pretty much any of them.

Terrifying? Resident Evil, pretty much any of them.

Disturbing? Fallout 3, especially with mods, can be very dark and depressing. Unlike Silent Hill and Resident Evil, which are pure fantasy, parts of Fallout are very possible. There are mods which make the game even more realistic and thus disturbing as you immerse yourself in an apocalyptic wasteland. New Vegas lacks the darkness that 3 had. If you want "The Road" style disturbing wasteland go for Fallout 3. New Vegas is more like a 3rd world country simulator, reminded me of Afghanistan.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It's not a big deal in my opinion; it isn't like the deaths are one human killing another. It's human versus alien/monster.

The media throws video game violence way out of proportion, especially in comparison to movies.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think Manhunt, I could be wrong but as far as I can remember that would have to be it.

It was wonderful though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join