It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shanghai to build 'underground city'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Interesting story here, probably nothing more behind it than a current lack of space, but an interesting concept.. Ideal for protection against bombs and EMPs etc I imagine!!

Beijing: China's largest city and communist giant's gleaming business hub, Shanghai has decided to build a 60,000-square-meter multipurpose "underground city", a report said.

The multi-level "underground city", four-stories high in some places, will be equipped with stores, garages, restaurants and all kinds of entertainment centres and facilities, a Shanghai-based newspaper said.

web.mid-day.com...

[edit on 15-7-2004 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Sounds a bit like some projects proposed for Japan. Sounds like a good idea but that money has to come from somewhere. I expect that stuff will be built above it too.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
sounds like a really giant basement with no buildings on top to me. really interesting though! i wonder if they would do something they did in the movie "resident evil" with the underground facility; how it had like the fake windows and stuff so people wouldn't go besserk.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Partly from the statement below and partly because 'Shanghai City' are the people with the project, I would imagine that it will be built below the existing city..

The construction of the "underground city" will comprehensively utilize the underground room of and around the existing subway pivots as well as their ground facilities.

I'm not sure what 'subway pivots' are, but I think that's what the're saying. anyway!!

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Once that bomb gets inside, the damage and death list will be greater than above surface. This is just bad idea. And how does it feel like, living underground away from the sun and fresh air? I think, awful...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Please explain how "that bomb" will get inside
. Be aware that fallout shelters are basically underground housings to protect from nukes. This sounds like a fallout shelter project but on a larger scale.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
That bomb will find a way through I think, in an underground city. Anyway, I am not concerned about the bomb, just the way they are trying to solve the problem of overpopulation. Why not make skyscrapers instead?

top topics

join