It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help finding a good book...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
After watching movies like Mission to Mars, Avatar, and Red Planet I really want a good book about colonizing other planets, exploring other worlds, or something about humans in the future going to space. I'm not looking for something like star trek or star wars, but something exciting with the perfect blend of science fiction and plausible science. I'm a huge fan of Red Faction and the Halo Novels in their desire to show colonial struggles in space, namely rebellion and expansion.So, something like that would be great too.

I appreciate the help!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Look into Orson Card

2ndline

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
All of the novels done by Arthur C Clarke are good, and a couple of other good sci fi authors are Stephen Baxter, and Peter F Hamilton.

Make sure that you get every book in whichever series if there are more than one, the moment they come out. I got Pandora's Star from Peter Hamilton, and now the next book in the series, is hard to find for a reasonable price, in good shape.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Try the heechee novels by Fred Phol.An older series you may like is the lensman series byE.E. doc smith although they may no longer be in print.Try the original foundation trilogy by Isaac asimov this is the one that hooked me on sci-fi.The lazarus long series by Robert Heinlein is very thought provoking.Something more recent that you might like the Honor Harrington series by David Weber this one is more military oriented.Also check David Drake's Hammers Slammers series very good stuff as Drake was in 'nam with a tank platoon as an Intelligence officer and his writting is very captivating and realistic.If you need more you can message me anytime.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I have most of the stuff by those guy's they're great writers.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Good post. I am not a huge, avid reader, but do like to read, primarily sci-fi as well. I am not sure what you already have or have read, so will just turn on the 'ol firehose spigot and let out the torrent. Options, in no particular order or preference:

John Scalzi - I like his style. His books are fun to read and not overly long as well. Good action, good characters and good concepts. If you like the colonizing thing, check out the Old Man's War trilogy (Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigade, The Last Colony).

Peter F. Hamilton - Much more "sciency" than Scalzi, which can make some of the concepts hard (for me at least) to grasp readily, but still a great author that tells great tales. His books are LOONG (which I like) and intricate and span thousands of light years at a time. Start with Pandora's Box and Judas Unchained, then move onto the void series. Beyond those, I can't comment on much as I have not slogged my way through anything else yet.

Alistair Reynolds - I like this guy as well. He too is very sciency, which I enjoy the challenge of. Good stories that offer a very (IMO) realistic depiction of what future sciences and concepts *could* be like.

Couple other authors I like (and all scifi, sorry...): Richard K. Morgan, Joe Haldeman, Charles Stross, Neal Stephenson

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

I got Pandora's Star from Peter Hamilton, and now the next book in the series, is hard to find for a reasonable price, in good shape.

Judas Unchained is available as an e-book on the torrent sites. I think that is the one you are looking for..

You just need a reader like Calibre and you are all set.

edit to add: It's free..
edit on 2/9/2011 by tribewilder because: already gave the reason

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I highly recommend the "Mars trilogy" by Kim Stanley Robinson
Red Mars
Blue Mars
Green Mars

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
After watching movies like Mission to Mars, Avatar, and Red Planet I really want a good book about colonizing other planets, exploring other worlds, or something about humans in the future going to space. I'm not looking for something like star trek or star wars, but something exciting with the perfect blend of science fiction and plausible science. I'm a huge fan of Red Faction and the Halo Novels in their desire to show colonial struggles in space, namely rebellion and expansion.So, something like that would be great too.

Tunnel in the Sky and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.

Both very different, first from his early elitist period, and the second from when he is starting to get loved up. Both exceptional reads. But I found Heinlein seldom disappointed.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, I love reading and I'll be sure to give these titles a look!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Have you read Dune? Don't let the movies put you off, the first 2-3 books are great although humans have been in space awhile in them. Larry Niven is very good imo.

I like a lot of authors, a good way to get a taste of a variety is to buy compilation books. -Best of science fiction 2001 ect. There are usually at least a couple very good stories in them.

Another way to get a little guidance is to go to a decent library and talk to a librarian or, someone poking around the same books. I know it sounds old fashioned but you might like it more than you'd think.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

I've heard good things of Larry Niven as of late, so I'll check into him since you're not the first person to say something. I've always wanted to avoid Dune because of the movies... I could give it a shot I suppose.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Someone above mentioned Arthur C. Clarke and I'm going to second that. I just finished Rendezvous With Rama. It's about a gigantic spaceship that comes into the solar system and humans who go explore it. It's not incredibly exciting, but it is engaging and Clarke does a great job of creating a mysterious alien machine.

Also, Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut is a really strange book that touches on some of the themes you've mentioned.
edit on 2/10/2011 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Yeah whatever you do make sure you DO NOT avoid the Dune books. They're all great, especially the last two.

I would reccomend HYPERION by Dan Simmons though. A very good author. His predictions involving internet culture are incredible. A great story...or series of stories. It's like the Canterbury tales in space, Hyperion.

the trouble with Science Fiction is finding a "sciency" author who actually knows how to write good prose and has something to say also. Dan Simmons does both really well.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Dune is prob. one of the greatest sci fi, novels I have ever read...

Do not avoid the dune series.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hunger Games, Enders Game, Maximum Ride, Avatar:so this is how it ends

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Definitely Larry Niven, especially his World Out Of Time. Also, I anticipate you will thoroughly enjoy the works of James P. Hogan: His "Gentle giants of Ganymede" is a special stand-out. (I know, a bizarre title, but the story totally works.) Both of these writers are from the hard science side of science fiction writing. Here is a link for Hogan:

www.fantasticfiction.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Some hate it, Some Love it

Battlefield Earth

If you have not read the book but saw the movie
do yourself a favor and try to forget the movie,

I've seen people say the book is bad but
when they talk about it they only talk about
what was in the movie.

I've also seen people say it was nothing but
Scientology preaching obviously they haven't read the book.

top topics

join