It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Group Proposes Shifting NASA Science Funds to Spaceflight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Article

WASHINGTON — A group of Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives is proposing to shift funds from NASA’s climate-change research coffers to the agency’s manned spaceflight program, an effort they say could preserve what they described as the agency’s core mission even as the new GOP-controlled House seeks to make good on vows to roll back federal discretionary spending this year.

The authorization measure also endorses spending $3.8 billion for manned space exploration programs this year. But with Republican leaders in the House pushing to curtail federal discretionary spending, the letter urges Rogers and Wolf to ensure that NASA stays focused on space exploration.

“We must not put ourselves in the position of watching Chinese astronauts planting their flag on the moon while we sit — earthbound by our own shortsightedness,” the letter states.

So the hopes of many here on ATS may begin to be realized for NASA. That being, the reduction of science spending for more manned spaceflight spending.

For me it's mixed emotions, I don't think the two (Science and Research / Spaceflight) should be mutually exclusive in which they have to balance between the two. Although they are correct in saying NASA should be following it's primary objective, spaceflight, but the problem is that other agencies do not match the level of research and study that NASA provides. If i could have it my way there would be a lot of other funding cut first for space...but alas, I don't have it my way. I think it is good though that we strive to accomplish more in space flight for the future though, I would just rather have it come at the cost of military spending and war funding than research.

This being said, the research cut isn't all that devastating, and as I'm sure many on here would believe, non existent, with that research funding being spent on Climate Change. Interestingly enough it's backed and spearheaded entirely by Republicans in the House of Representatives so there's certainly some political ideology undertones here as usual.

So what are your thoughts? If you have something you'd like to say about Climate Change / Global warming go ahead and say but try and keep comments relevant to space

edit on 9-2-2011 by Stuffed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Stuffed

I have long been a proponent , of a "check box" on my TAX forms---,, but ,instead of 3 bucks going to
the president re-election fund..

i wish we could check-box donations for NASA...
habitat for humanity ,,

or plenty of others,,,,, but NASA,, first, to break the ice...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Stuffed

I always wondered why nasa is getting in to climatology the religion we already have the church of gore and NOA plus the national weather servcie doing research.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I can understand why NASA would study other things like climatology, as it is in a position to study atmospheric conditions as well as understanding planetary conditions for other possible earth like planets. NASA always has different teams and different projects for different areas of research, but yes it is interesting that they have to be held under the banner of NASA for all of them. Not entirely a big deal in my opinion though, as it almost comes down to the most tedious of arguments...semantics, ugh.

top topics

join