It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China police stop spread of Egypt news: activist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

China police stop spread of Egypt news: activist

www.rawstory.com

BEIJING — Police in southwest China have barred activists from distributing leaflets about anti-government protests in Egypt and Tunisia, deeming the news too sensitive, one dissident said Wednesday.

Activists in Guizhou province tried to hand out information about the demonstrations over the weekend, but police told them this was an "unusual period" and gave them 3,000 yuan ($450) to stop, Chen Xi told AFP.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Sounds like the Chinese police and the Egyptian police would love one another. heh.

This further signifies JUST how worried the Chinese rulers are about the masses awakening within their own oppressionary environment.

We have seen recent stories of their government blocking web-sites which were reporting on the Tunisian and Egyptian uprisings, and now it appears they are having their own police crack down on any activist reporting or sharing of this information as well.

Somebody is scared ****less me thinks...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
They are a communist ruled country, it is well within their bounds to stop the flow of crucial information.
Someday the Chinese populace may awaken, who knows.
I hope someday the US population wakes up as well.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I don't think the chinese gov't would hesitate to use the military to supress an uprising the way the egyptian one has. I could be wrong but look at the old tennamen square protest.

Yes they are concerned that this will give some of there people ideas. It could be that they know they could put it down but it would hurt there exports and image.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Well I don't know, you're from Kalifornia and you just read the news are you awake?

I'm sorry but there are too many Chinese apologists here on ATS sometimes. They block this, they block that not to mention Blocking Google and what went down with Tiananmen Square etc etc etc...

All under the excuse of

"They are just communists and they can do what they wish in their own country"

So by that logic...

The Egyptian Government should be able to squash their crowds just like Iran or China had...

Justifying those actions anywhere now will have others justifying equivalent actions if the case ever came down in the States. In other words by that logic the US Government should be given free rein and right to squash the American crowds because it was an internal matter and other countries should butt out.

"They are an evil empire after all"

Yet many of those same American voices scream about how our Government have stripped them of their rights and want to rebel against the Government etc etc etc

Anybody else see the hypocrisy here?

Meanwhile they can read all about it freely online if they care to mash the keyboards with their fat hairy knuckles as I do and search for it...

edit on 9-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Do you ever post anything that has nothing to do with China?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

Do you ever post anything that has nothing to do with China?

Evidently, you don't follow my threads too closely, or are reading comprehensionally challenged.

A simple search under my name would answer your silly little question.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

STAR!

I want to take this opportunity to thank Double D for his efforts.
I find myself learning more from his threads than I do any others including my own research on many topics. He rarely goes over the top in any one direction and although I disagree with him on some topics the few times he does post his opinions I still learn.

That's how it's supposed to be. It's like ripping off the bandage of a wound that's been avoided because of the possible revelations. It may hurt but sometimes necessary in order to find out exactly how bad the situation really is.

PEACE!
Slay
edit on 9-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Good thread as always.. However the article fails to fully explain the situation in china.. As usual with western media reports. The situation in egypt is being shown on the news in china - to include updates as they occur. The group in question was asked to stop - along with paid to as they were encouraging anti-government sentiments . ANY Government around the world would have done the same - many much less politely than china was in the manner in which it was handled.
Harmony and face are important in asia the situation was handled in a manner that allowed both groups to maintain both without bloodshead or loss of life. China is a large country and working at change. But change does not happen overnight.
edit on 9-2-2011 by Expat888 because: Gremlins.. And bit too much new years celebrating still.. Happy 2011 year of the rabbit.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
You guys don't understand that, despite being a communist/capitalist nation, China has no choice but to change, as their economy continues to grow, their partnerships with other nations continue to increase, in order for the nation to advance to that next level, they have to start offering their people more freedoms and cleaning up pollution, etc...

It is almost time for China to release it's next five year plan and rumors have it that they are going strong on green technology and cleaner environment.

China's Prime Minister, Wen Jia Bao even admitted that China must change to adapt to their new situations. There are also plans to recruit new political officials to replace the convicted/administrative punished corrupt officials.

A popular saying in China is that half of the government want to help the people and improve the nation, only half of that are able to achieve it.

The Chinese are smart, it is just too bad they had such a late start and from such a rocky foundation, is a nation not allowed to grow and develop?

There is a lot wrong with China that need fixing but I do see a bright and prosperous future.
edit on 9-2-2011 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888

ANY Government around the world would have done the same - many much less politely than china was in the manner in which it was handled.
Harmony and face are important in asia the situation was handled in a manner that allowed both groups to maintain both without bloodshead or loss of life. China is a large country and working at change. But change does not happen overnight.
edit on 9-2-2011 by Expat888 because: Gremlins.. And bit too much new years celebrating still.. Happy 2011 year of the rabbit.

Agreed! America sensors its new and sources on many subjects, including Egypt, as do many western countries. They handled this exactly as would be expected, calmly. Just because its China, doesnt mak it worse than any other nation, doing pretty much the same thing.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No sir, you misunderstood my post.
They are a communist ruled society, therefore they may do any of the communist things, as the collective is more important than the individual.
But i live in the US, a democratic republik.
I have certain rights as an individual above the masses.
If they ever try to change this on me, i have the right to use my rights to fight tyranny.
These Chinese may exercise their individual rights to bring themselves more rights, until they do stand up for their rights,.... it's cheese and toilet paper lines commrade!
I hate to sound cold but i think if i were born into that society i might have been killed a long time ago.

top topics

join