It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hues and Cries Of People Living In Third World Countries !

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Not enough food, so children learn to eat mud

BBC, HT
Not many people like me, from third world countries voice their opinions in forums like these, because people here are more busy with an everlasting struggle of earning their basic livelihood and somehow feed themselves and their children's. Many people from rich countries visit third world countries to only see how people are living in slums with filth all around them, they find it funny and highly entertaining. And then they share those filthy pictures from our countries with their friends and families to have more fun.

If you ask someone about who is responsible for that pathetic plight of people living in third world countries, you will get a quick answer that corrupt politicians and governments are responsible for the distressing state of third world countries. But they don't consider the hidden hand behind those corrupt governments.

Have you ever wondered......

Why 80 % of UFO sightings and other Alien phenomena happen in First world countries.

Why many of the most wicked secret programs are run by governments of First world countries.

Why All Of the Popular New Age Prophets David Icke, Alex Jones etc. are from First World Countries and are preaching truth about the evil agenda of the govt. of those countries.

First world countries are more supported by World Bank, IMF, WHO etc., making the third world suffer.

Poisonous food products of Coca Cola, Pepsi, McDonald etc. originated from First world countries and than spread-ed into the third world countries.

Monsanto's genetically fondled seeds are coming from a First world country and are being sown in third world countries as well as the rest of the world.

First world countries have greater interests in Codex Alimentarius, and they are pushing its policies throughout the world.

Secret Societies originated in First world countries than made their bases everywhere in third world countries.

All of the above statements gives us an insight that there is really something evil residing in First world countries which is extending itself towards the third world countries. And making both worlds to suffer in different ways, while there is physical and financial torture of a person living in third world, there is mental torture being done to them through deception and by oppressing various freedoms of the people living in first world countries through stringent laws.

Many people will argue with me that the governments of first world countries are not doing anything bad to the third world countries, and they are solely responsible for their sorry state. Yes, this is the picture painted in front of them by their governments, because again they are not looking at the big picture i.e the same hidden hand behind their own government and other governments of the world. This hidden hand has created Rich and Poor divide, this hand has laid more power in the hands of first world countries and are manipulating them to cause oppression in the third world. This hand is pulling the strings behind every government. This hidden hand is the hand of Elites.

"Our political system protects and enriches a fantastically wealthy elite, much of whose money is, as a result of their interesting tax and transfer arrangements, in effect stolen from poorer countries, and poorer citizens of their own countries. Ours is a semi-criminal money-laundering economy, legitimised by the pomp of the lord mayor's show and multiple layers of defence in government. Politically irrelevant, economically invisible, the rest of us inhabit the margins of the system. Governments ensure that we are thrown enough scraps to keep us quiet, while the ultra-rich get on with the serious business of looting the global economy and crushing attempts to hold them to account."
Source. - Guardian UK.

The Elites in rich countries are looting and stealing from third world countries, they are mass murdering people in those countries. And are accumulating wealth in the first world countries, its their business, only we see different countries, for them there are no countries, its all the same for them. They are not after money, because for them money has no value. They want people fighting over money, they want people to fight the government, because they know they are always safe, as they operate outside the jurisdiction of governments.

The Roots of Evil are in First world countries, and its branches are reaching in the Third world countries.

We will cut the branches of evil but they will grow back again, we will carry out revolutions to oust corrupt politicians from our countries but they will keep coming. These elites have infiltrated third world countries through network of secret societies and multinational corporations, that are manipulating their governments. Our politicians are sold out to these elites in secret societies and corporations for the riches they are offering to them. We can drag these secret societies and corporations out of our countries, but they will come back again in some other form. Because the roots of these elites are residing in First world countries.

Note that this thread is not an attack thread on the people of first world countries as they are also victim of torture and oppression, like we are. But this is directed at those Elites, Rich Bankers, Globalist who are perpetrating this mass genocide. They are housed in first world countries and are manipulating there governments to commit this massacre against their own people and people around the world.

Poverty In America.

You all have heard of Chinese being forced to eat fake plastic rice, because the real rice has become unaffordable to them, so they are buying this cheap rice and eating it not knowing about the toxic substances in them.

This happened because of the rise in global food prices caused due to inflation, and this inflation is happening because they are directing governments of first world countries to print Fiat money to keep some bankers rich and economies growing, but in actual there is no real growth. This flow of fake money, by the bankers and for the bankers, is the real cause of rise in food prices all over the globe, these bankers of the first world countries are real cause of mass homicide and starvation in the third world countries. Fiat currency is leading to Fiat Food.

Now, the agenda of elites has changed, they are no longer intend to make any country rich, that's why they are deliberately causing the economies of first world countries to collapse. They are devaluing your currency and imposing heavy taxes upon you, and I have no doubt that soon your country would also be labeled as a third world country.

Please Help Us.

Many of you living in first world countries might be happy with your lifestyle, better infrastructure governments. But keep in mind that you are living in a country which is built by stealing and looting from third world countries by your crooked governments and the evil elites behind them. So, I request all of you living in first world countries that you have the power to shake your greedy governments and the elites behind them, all of us are looking towards you. You don't have to resort to violence, A simply way to shake them is not to do what they tell you to do, don't pay your taxes, don't go to work, make large self supporting communities. Shake them up any way you can, but please do it.

Because you have the power now, but who Knows in the future you become powerless like us.
edit on 9/2/11 by vinay86 because: Please do something.

edit on Wed Feb 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: added external quote code

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

edit on 9-2-2011 by G.A.G. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I am in the first world. I realize the reality that for me to live well it means that some one else in the third world must not. During Christmas time I watched my society binge on material objects with no comprehension of the suffering that such excesses are born of. It made me make this thread about globalization, and how the economic systems pillage the third world.

If I bring up these issues to friend and family it rarely goes well. Even educated and good people harden when confronted with truth. It challenges their whole world view, and the way they have lived their entire life. Once someone is confronted with the facts several reactions can result. They deny it vehemently. They accept it as true, but put if from their minds and continue consuming. They try and make a few changes in scale of consumption, and how they consume. Finally, one in a thousand realizes that all of first world society rests on the backs of the third world. You must accept that if you live in a First World country you play a part in systems of oppression. You may not like it and you may become politically active to fight it. While these are good steps, at the end of the day by your participation you become complicit.

I am guilty. I type from a nice home with services. I am on a computer most likely made in a sweat shop. The rare metals were mined in central Africa with a tiny minority of the profit reaching those whose land it belongs, or those who do the actual labor. My clothing was made by sweat shop labor. The gas in my car was taken by force from the lands of others. If once can take off their goggles it becomes clear. All of First world societies perks are due to economic and political systems that confiscate wealth from one group to another. Why do I remain? Why do I not leave First world society? I wish I could say I had a good reason for staying as long as I have.

Every time I return back to the US it is like I entered a fairy tale world. A world of benefits, excess, and moral ambiguity. I am burdened by the knowledge of reality. It is for this reason I will soon return to the third world. Not because I feel guilty, but because I would rather participate in systems that are local. Mainly local economic systems where money is limited, and material accumulation is uncommon feel better. I help those I can, and live with the knowledge I am with my fellow human beings instead of living off them.

A thread like this will not get many genuine replies because most do not want to acknowledge the truth. It is too difficult to face. I appreciate your honesty, and emotion. I want you to know that some of us in the first world care, and are trying to change the world one day at a time.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

Well. I wish everyone was as intelligent as you are. If they were then the third world country will not be a third world country but a 1st world country. What have you done personally to help the needy in the third world country? Truth is that its the human nature and the greed that has to be conquered. Simply blaming others is not right nor is it the solution.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The U.S. is Becoming a Third World Country

The United States by every measure is hanging on by a thread to its First World status. Saddled by debt, engaged in wars on multiple fronts with a rising police state at home, declining economic productivity, and wild currency fluctuations all threaten America's future.
However, America and other over-leveraged countries face this re-balancing of the globe at a time when they have dwindling resources. We can speculate about who and what is to blame for America's fantastic fall, but for the purposes of this article we shall focus on the obvious signs that the United States is beginning to resemble a Third World country.
Source.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

I asked that the stars help the third world families first.. I think it will happen when its time. thanks for having the compassion for your species as it is sad that I can cut my water on and leave it running for who knows how long yet there are babies starving and not able to get clean water on the same planet as the. It is sad and GOD sees it and is not pleased. We must be patient and pray for their souls not to condem the 3d plane inhabitants that made them suffer atleast until ALL humble ARE SECURED. I know my words dont seem like they can do much but I have been concentrating on the 3rd world since I was a youth. Because something didnt feel right when I would see the shows asking for help for them. And I seemed lucky (seemed). SMH the I am lucky is what has blinded many from even considering their 3rd world brotheren and how much help is really needed. Not just money dedicated that can be retaxed and redistributed to the wealthy making their attempt at humblness turn into greed as soon as they get their kick back.. --LOVE-- I trully think the demon has attacked the 3rd world because the blood in these regions is still pure no matter race pure in energy form HARD TO POISION WITH IGNORANCE. Not tainted by the gimmecks of the technological world. They seem to have the strength to deal with what ever comes their ways and I respect them for this and hope my prayers will be heard and that they get the BLESSINGS FIRST.

Be well S&F

edit on 2/9/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by vinay86

What have you done personally to help the needy in the third world country? Truth is that its the human nature and the greed that has to be conquered. Simply blaming others is not right nor is it the solution.

I joined an NGO which helped poor people, but soon I learnt that this will not eradicate poverty completely . Yes, I agreed with you greed is what is need to be conquered, and i am not blaming anyone because the atrocities faced by humanity are more or less similar everywhere in the world, but there are some forces in this world who are steering this world towards their own agenda and they are not doing it for the fulfillment of their greed.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thank you for this post. Sadly, we in first world countries seem to have blinders on (I'm guilty too). I mainly give to charities within the US because I'm very suspicious of charities that help third world people. I'm afraid most of the money people give will go to administrative expenses and other costs. Here's a good site that breaks down the percentages: Charity Navigator

Then we have the problem of actually distributing the aid...if it actually goes through, we have war mongers and pirates that steal this aid from the poor. It's disheartening and discouraging and leaves many people feeling helpless to help. I'd like to believe that most people in first world countries want to help and give but their hands are often tied.

Awareness and individual action are the key...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

First, thanks for creating this relevant thread. I am a 1st Worlder (US); at least for the time being....

You suggest:

You don't have to resort to violence, A simply way to shake them is not to do what they tell you to do, don't pay your taxes,

I wish this was practical but the IRS here would be on are arses in no time!
Then you have to face penalties and interest in no time as well.

don't go to work,

Again, I wish this was practical and feasible, but even if * my family* were to sacrifice in some way; another family would step in and seize the opportunity...survival of the fittest, you see.

make large self supporting communities.

Some are already doing so in the US; I continue to explore options, but if you are currently doing "OK", then it is difficult to convince spouses/others to be like-minded.

Shake them up any way you can, but please do it.

This will take more national, radical type movements--that really aren't currently in place...unfortunately.

Because you have the power now, but who Knows in the future you become powerless like us

It may seem like the people have the power now, but in reality, the same powers you describe in the OP are the powerful in first world, too.

The contributions I make may be small, but I do cater to the 3rd world direct residents individually as much as possible when I travel to such countries. I try to bring clothes, non-perishable foods, and even some books and items of entertainment value for the "regular" people, especially children. I know that is miniscule in comparison to what needs to take place, but at least it is a start....

BTW, what specific 3rd World Country were you speaking of in the OP, if any?

Again, thank you for a important, timely thread!

edit on 9-2-2011 by sonjah1 because: typos

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by vinay86

The U.S. is Becoming a Third World Country

The United States by every measure is hanging on by a thread to its First World status. Saddled by debt, engaged in wars on multiple fronts with a rising police state at home, declining economic productivity, and wild currency fluctuations all threaten America's future.
However, America and other over-leveraged countries face this re-balancing of the globe at a time when they have dwindling resources. We can speculate about who and what is to blame for America's fantastic fall, but for the purposes of this article we shall focus on the obvious signs that the United States is beginning to resemble a Third World country.
Source.

So what? We all go through a political and ultimately economical cycle. What about the US becoming a third world country?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by vinay86

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by vinay86

What have you done personally to help the needy in the third world country? Truth is that its the human nature and the greed that has to be conquered. Simply blaming others is not right nor is it the solution.

I joined an NGO which helped poor people, but soon I learnt that this will not eradicate poverty completely . Yes, I agreed with you greed is what is need to be conquered, and i am not blaming anyone because the atrocities faced by humanity are more or less similar everywhere in the world, but there are some forces in this world who are steering this world towards their own agenda and they are not doing it for the fulfillment of their greed.

And who do you think might be behind this? I see you are not blaming the country or others but some 'ELITES' or FORCES? Who do you think these elites or forces are ?

The source that you are pointing to seems more like anti US activists website.

Dont you think the US Military if not the Government is aware of whats going on? Dont you think that there might be backup or alternative plans already in place?
edit on 9-2-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

It is clear that the IMF, World Bank, and other powerful institutions are used to saddle the third world with debt. The third world country is then forced to sell their resources and labor to the creditor nations(first world.) The wealthiest elite in the first world make up the leaders of these powerful institutions, and the governments that encourage them.

The concentration of power that this allows could be seen as a greater goal.
edit on 9-2-2011 by stephinrazin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

Do us all a favor.. spread the message to your fellow 3rd worlders..

STOP BREEDING

The worst thing the west ever did to the 3rd world was feed them, their populations exploded due to their rabbit like breeding without doing a damn thing to help them selves.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephinrazin
reply to post by hp1229

It is clear that the IMF, World Bank, and other powerful institutions are used to saddle the third world with debt. The third world country is then forced to sell their resources and labor to the creditor nations(first world.) The wealthiest elite in the first world make up the leaders of these powerful institutions, and the governments that encourage them.

The concentration of power that this allows could be seen as a greater goal.
edit on 9-2-2011 by stephinrazin because: (no reason given)

That would be one entity in addition to others. But are all the leaders in IMF or UN made up of elites from the 1st world? I thought they were represented by several nations including third world.

What about the population control? Isn't there any entity which educates or promotes population control for a country which cannot sustain feeding hungry citizens? Surely the people are not dumb themselves. They are perhaps spoiled. Rich remains rich and poor remains poor. Its the middle class that always suffers.
edit on 9-2-2011 by hp1229 because: Content Addition.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by vinay86

Do us all a favor.. spread the message to your fellow 3rd worlders..
STOP BREEDING
The worst thing the west ever did to the 3rd world was feed them, their populations exploded due to their rabbit like breeding without doing a damn thing to help them selves.

How true. Forget about the government if they didnt help the poor but the poor themselves do not understand as humans that why would they bring a child into this world if they know very well that they're not capable of feeding? This does not need any education but plain simple common sense. If thats not enough, some of the problems exists due to lack of identification and tracking of citizens in the third world countries. Multiple marriages and childrens from multiple wives are a common thing in many third world countries.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

And who do you think might be behind this? I see you are not blaming the country or others but some 'ELITES' or FORCES? Who do you think these elites or forces are ?

I really wish you would do your homework about the food issue. But since you did not I will:

OK, let us start with a popular DEMOCRATIC President, Bill Clinton: In the next post I will Show how the UN is just as guilty.

His senior trade negotiator was Dan Amstutz who wrote the World Trade Agreement on Agriculture (WTO AoA) and the 1996 Freedom to Farm Act, Amstutz was VP of Cargill and later joined Sachs Goldman.

The Freedom to Farm act in 1996 was later called the Freedom to Fail act as US farmers over produced and grain prices dropped like a rock. Grain traders used the surplus of very cheap grain to bankrupt farmers around the world. This was actually a KNOWN US policy as Clinton has just admitted. I won't even bother to go into the Bio-fuel Con job that wastes fuel and food.

President Bill Clinton, now the UN Special Envoy to Haiti, publicly apologized last month for forcing Haiti to drop tariffs on imported, subsidized US rice during his time in office. The policy wiped out Haitian rice farming and seriously damaged Haiti’s ability to be self-sufficient. www.democracynow.org...

Amstutz then went to work for Goldman Sachs. This has always puzzled me until I finally ran across the last piece of the puzzle.

That is where things get really interesting. This is stolen from WANTtoKNOW. Info: Excerpts of Key Financial News Articles in Major Media

The first articles states:

Commodity Futures Trading Commission judge says colleague biased against complainants

..Painter said Judge Bruce Levine ... had a secret agreement with a former Republican chairwoman of the agency to stand in the way of investors filing complaints with the agency. "On Judge Levine's first week on the job, nearly twenty years ago, he came into my office and stated that he had promised Wendy Gramm, then Chairwoman of the Commission, that we would never rule in a complainant's favor," Painter wrote. "A review of his rulings will confirm that he fulfilled his vow....

Levine had never ruled in favor of an investor. Gramm [wife of former senator Phil Gramm (R-Tex.)], was head of the CFTC just before president Bill Clinton took office. She has been criticized by Democrats for helping firms such as Goldman Sachs and Enron gain influence over the commodity markets. After leaving the CFTC, she joined Enron's board.

Note: For lots more from reliable sources on government corruption, click here.

NOW we know WHY Goldman Sachs hired Dan Amstutz!

The second Article states:

How Goldman gambled on starvation

This is the story of how some of the richest people in the world – Goldman, Deutsche Bank, the traders at Merrill Lynch, and more – have caused the starvation of some of the poorest people in the world. At the end of 2006, food prices across the world started to rise, suddenly and stratospherically. Within a year, the price of wheat had shot up by 80 per cent, maize by 90 per cent, rice by 320 per cent. In a global jolt of hunger, 200 million people – mostly children – couldn't afford to get food any more, and sank into malnutrition or starvation. There were riots in more than 30 countries, and at least one government was violently overthrown. Then, in spring 2008, prices just as mysteriously fell back to their previous level. Jean Ziegler, the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food, calls it "a silent mass murder", entirely due to "man-made actions." Through the 1990s, Goldman Sachs and others lobbied hard and the regulations [controlling agricultural futures contracts] were abolished. Suddenly, these contracts were turned into "derivatives" that could be bought and sold among traders who had nothing to do with agriculture. A market in "food speculation" was born. The speculators drove the price through the roof.

Note: For an abundance of reports from major media sources detailing the many complex and hidden strategies employed by financial corporations to keep their hyper-profits flowing in, click here.

Here is the attitude of these sons of female dogs:

In summary, we have record low grain inventories globally as we move into a new crop year. We have demand growing strongly. Which means that going forward even small crop failures are going to drive grain prices to record levels. As an investor, we continue to find these long term trends...very attractive.” Food shortfalls predicted: 2008 www.financialsense.com...

Recently there have been increased calls for the development of a U.S. or international grain reserve to provide priority access to food supplies for Humanitarian needs. The National Grain and Feed Association (NGFA) and the North American Export Grain Association (NAEGA) strongly advise against this concept..Stock reserves have a documented depressing effect on prices... and resulted in less aggressive market bidding for the grains.” July 22, 2008 letter to President Bush www.naega.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Precisely. I did not do the homework and it was a question. Thanks for answering the question.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

You disgust me. How about stop supporting systems that prevent people from the food they need. It is not about breeding it is about entrenched economic forces that create the circumstances where people cannot survive.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
reply to post by hp1229

The Freedom to Farm act in 1996 was later called the Freedom to Fail act as US farmers over produced and grain prices dropped like a rock. Grain traders used the surplus of very cheap grain to bankrupt farmers around the world. This was actually a KNOWN US policy as Clinton has just admitted.

That was a nice research but I have a simple question for you. Do you think the US is the only bread basket in the world?

There are other countries who are also considered the bread baskets of the world. Moreoever do you think the local government within the third world countries such as India or China is not capable of controlling their internal inflation and market when it comes to farming and crops? Upto certain extent they do sustain their own economy rather then exporting the grains or importing them for that matter.

Sure the political game played by UN might benefit a few but does not affect all either. Ultimately the others might have caught up to the trickery played by Goldman Sachs and used it to their own advantage within their own countries. That I would love to believe. But I do not believe that the US is responsible for the global food shortage.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

I have thirteen or more pages of one liners I have gathered over the last several years dealing with the food issue. Remember there is NO FOOD without farmers. FAO (crops) and OIE (livestock) are branches of the United nations who is hip deep in the plans to erradicate small farmers.

THE RESULTS:

Farmer suicides in India: Now the full toll—surely among the largest sustained waves of suicides in human history—is becoming apparent. And as Sainath emphasizes, these numbers still underestimate the disaster, since women farmers are excluded from the official statistics... . All due to price rigging with the tightening grip of large corporations over the trade in agricultural commodities." alternatives-international.net...
www.counterpunch.org...

January 8 2008 ~In the UK Defra has dropped the word 'farming' from its title. "Defra and the Treasury's joint vision document of 2006 presented to the EU argued that supports for farming should be completely abandoned.." www.warmwell.com...

2002 Effect of policies on farmers in USA and Mexico: Between 1995 and 2000, the prices US farmers receive for corn declined 33 percent, 42 percent for wheat, and 34 percent for soybeans. No wonder that since NAFTA went into effect 33,000 small farmers in the US have gone out of business— more than six times the pre-NAFTA rate. In Mexico, the price farmers receive for corn has plummeted 45 percent At least 1.5 million farmers have left their land. 900,000 people leave Mexico's land every year, a U.N. program says. According to a study by Jose Romero and Alicia Puyana carried out for the federal government of Mexico, between 1992 and 2002, the number of agricultural households fell an astounding 75% - from 2.3 million to 575, 000 www.globalexchange.org...

2001 Polish entry into the European Union: EU Chair states intent to remove 1 million Poles from their land, Rep from Portugal states 60% of Portugal's farmers have already been removed. The Battle to Save the Polish Countryside: www.i-sis.org.uk...

Lets Start with the IDEAS behind the war over FOOD.

Make no mistake it is a WAR because as any military person will tell you destroying the enemies supply lines is a first priority in war, declared or undeclared.

' The Socialist Revolution in the US cannot take place because there are too many small independent farmers there. Those people are the stability factor. We here in Russia must hurry while our government is stupid enough to not encourage and support the independent farmership.' - V. Lenin, the founder of the Russian revolution

1932 to 1937 “The Collective Farm Policy was a terrible struggle, Ten million died. It was fearful. Four years it lasted. It was absolutely necessary." Joseph Stalin www.faminegenocide.com...

1934, "[Our] future is becoming visible in Russia." Assistant Secretary of Agriculture Rexford Tugwell www.archive.org...

1944 to 2009,
World Bank and IMF use the loans they provide countries to prescribe policies and major changes in the economies of these countries. www.africaaction.org...
IMF Structural Adjustment Programs: The globalization of poverty www.doublestandards.org...
History of Structural Adjustment Policies by country: www.whirledbank.org...
Former employee Breaks Code of Silence on IMF crimes: www.thirdworldtraveler.com...

1948: failed attempt to create an International Trade Organization

1948 to 1994: the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) www.wto.org...

SPS measures were found in the original GATT Articles, mainly Article XX "General Exceptions," and later in the 1979 Tokyo Round Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade, a plurilateral agreement known as the Standards Code. The intent of the Agreement was to ensure that when SPS measures were applied, they were used only to the extent necessary to ensure food safety and animal and plant health, and not to unduly restrict market access for other countries (James and Anderson, 1998; Roberts, 1998). xstatic99645.tripod.com...

1961 PVP is the Plant Variety Protection: The International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants: Gave seed companies a monopoly on only the commercial multiplication and the marketing of seeds. Farmers remained free to save seed from their own harvest to plant in the following year, and other breeders could freely use any variety, protected or not, to develop a new one. www.patentlens.net...

1980 the Supreme Court decision in Diamond v. Chakrabarthy, 447 U.S. 303 enabled living organisms to be patented www.wisbar.org.../CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&contentid=49620

1986 Global commodity prices slumped in the mid eighties, triggering a five fold increase in farm subsidies in the USA and the EU subsidy to double. Pressure from commodity exporters inspired a decision to pursue Agricultural Policy reform at Uruguay round of GATT. It was lead by Under Secretary of Agriculture Dan Amstutz. books.google.com...,+1986&source=bl&ots=g_NvagIp9r&sig=iNU3 jWVgC7LkAjkzuSQt6LyINfI&hl=en&ei=XF-gSavhGY-EtgeXjZz_DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPA68,M1

There is our buddy Dan Amstutz again

Launched in 1986, the General Agreement on Tariffs & Trade (GATT) Uruguay Round of international trade talks has been dominated by a confrontation between the US and the EC over farm policy reform. Both sides proclaim their commitment to devising a GATT regime which will bring an end to the anarchy in world agricultural markets,

1991 PVP monopoly has applied to seed multiplication and also to the harvest and sometimes the final product as well. Previously unlimited right of farmers to save seed for the following year's planting has been changed into an optional exception. Only if national government allows, can farm-saved seed still be used, and a royalty has to be paid to the seed company even for seeds grown on-farm. www.grain.org...

1993 FAO prepares “the Global Strategy for the Management of Farm Animal Genetic Resources” ftp.fao.org...

1993 Published: International HACCP guidelines developed by the Codex Alimentarius, a joint Programme of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)and the World Health Organization (WHO). revised in 1997. www.fao.org...

1994 North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) www.ces.ncsu.edu...

1995 World Trade Organization (WTO) formed. Former Cargill Vice-President, Dan Amstutz, drafts the original text of the Uruguay Round Agreement on Agriculture. www.zmag.org...
"Measures to trace animals...to provide assurances on...safety ..have been incorporated into international standards... The Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures...Aims to ensure that governments DO NOT USE QUARANTINE AND FOOD SAFETY REQUIREMENTS as Unjustified trade barriers... It provides Member countries with a right to implement traceability [NAIS] as an SPS measure." www.wto.org...

“Development of risk-based systems has been heavily influenced by the WTO Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures ” OIE report Oct 2008 www.oie.int...

Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) introduction of intellectual property rules on plants, animals and seeds under WTO’s Agreement “could damage the livelihoods of these 1.4 billion farmers worldwide and undermine food sovereignty and food security ” Joint Communication from the African Group to the Council for Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (2003) www.fao.org...

September 1995,Catherine Bertini, Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Program, and former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Agriculture, stated "Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some may call that bribery. We do not apologize." UN's 4th World Conference on Women: Beijing, China. ngin.tripod.com...

July 1996 Major re-structuring of USDA food policies: Pathogen Reduction/Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) Systems rule, www.fsis.usda.gov...

1996 The destruction of animals, Disposal procedures and Decontamination operation procedures published www.fao.org...

Efforts of Food inspectors to bring problems with HACCP ignored by USDA management
Apr 17, 2008 Testimony:Mr. Stan Painter, Chairman, National Joint Council of Food Inspection Locals: December 2004 Union president Stan Painter receive reports from union member that SRM regulations are not uniformly enforced. Painter writes to the Assistant FSIS Administrator for Field Operation about enforcement problem. USDA responses by placed Painter on disciplinary investigation status and contacts the USDA Office of Inspector General about filing criminal charges.

It (the recall of Hallmark/Westland Meat) highlights one of the problems that we have attempted to raise with the agency ever since 1996 when the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) inspection system was put in place. There seems to be too much reliance on an honor system for the industry to police itself. While the USDA investigation is still on going at Hallmark/Westland, a couple of facts have emerged that point to a system that can be gamed by those who want to break the law. It (HACCP) shifted the responsibility for food safety over to the companies .
December 2004 Freedom of Information Act requests
August 2005 Over 1000 non-compliance reports – weighing some 16 pounds -- were turned over domesticpolicy.oversight.house.gov...

I ran across a comment from Sanchoearlyjones that will chill the blood of any US farmers aware of the new Food Safety Law.

"...worked for the EPA in oil field site inspections. Consistently he was tasked with fining, and shutting down mom, and pop outfits, but consistently was ordered to leave the big boys like Exxon Mobil alone..”

"Freedom to Farm" legislation of 1996. Cargill played a significant role in pressurising the US government to move away from its farmer support programmes and eventually adopt the Federal Agricultural Improvement and Reform Act archive.corporatewatch.org...

April 16, 1999 A veritable who's who of corporate agribusiness writes a letter to Clinton about WTO meeting in Seattle: They want to establishment a three year goal, and a more effective set of trade rules for the agricultural sector www.thecalamityhowler.com...

1999 UK traceback( traceability) program in place, millions of animals are killed in the 2000 outbreak of Foot & Mouth. “depopulation” is used instead of Vaccine due to OIE requirement for returning to Disease free status www.fao.org...

2001 Issues for the Agricultural Talks and WTO Trade Round: “The un-scientific so-called “precautionary principle” is unfortunately being successfully and constantly misused as justification to immobilize science and its applications, as well as to confuse the public. ..The so-called principle, which is in fact a concept rather than a principle, is indeed a wonderful tool to avoid delicate political decision. .. the so-called precautionary principle - in reality a concept rather than a scientific principle - should not be used as a tool to stop innovation, even under the guise of a moratorium, which is what has happened in the EU today. There will always be scientific uncertainty in any scientific field and reasonable approaches to risk management must be adopted to manage this uncertainty. Prohibition must only be used as an extreme risk management tool. Abuses of the precaution concept to justify political positions, or to cloak distorting import restriction policies, should equally be avoided and expressively exposed. The European Commission’s recent white paper was helpful in clarifying the limits to be set on the use of the so-called “precautionary principle.”

The internationalization of the food chain demands that identification, registration, tracking and tracing systems also become internationalized. After 31 years with Monsanto, Mr. Auxenfans, retired from the Monsanto Corporation at the end of 1999 as the former Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the Agricultural Division, and its Chairman for the Europe-Africa operations. He is a member of the Board of Directors at both the IPC and the IAMA.

2001 FAO Manual of procedures for disease eradication by stamping out www.fao.org...
2001 History of UK 2001 foot & mouth disease www.warmwell.com...

Senate - March 28, 2000 "Freedom to Farm" becomes “freedom to fail” The bill has made sweeping changes in agriculture--it has produced one of the worst economic crises that rural American has ever experienced. tens of thousands of farm families are in jeopardy of losing their livelihoods and life savings. thomas.loc.gov...:S28MR0-0011:

July 26, 2002: Report Finds Fundamental Flaws in WTO's Agreement on Agriculture: Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy report argues that the Agreement on Agriculture fails to account for agri-business' monopoly over global agricultural trade. www.socialfunds.com...

2002, the National Institute of Animal Agriculture (NIAA) began a major push for NAIS (traceability). www.jimhightower.com...

May, 2003, the European Patent Office in Munich granted a patent to Monsanto with the number EP 445929, with the simple title "plants", even though plants are not patentable in European Law. www.countercurrents.org...

January 30, 2004, Bush signed Homeland Security Presidential Directive-9, "to defend the agriculture and food system against terrorist attacks, major disasters, and other emergencies." USDA's Jeremy Stump, says, "It's from farm to fork." The order covers animals and crops - the entire food supply chain - and includes shared operations with the CIA. www.cbsnews.com...

January 2005: Guide to good farming practices: This draft guide to good farming practices for animal production food safety was taken from the Report of the Meeting of the OIE Terrestrial Animal Health Standards Commission (Paris, 17-28 January 2005) www.oie.int/boutique/extrait/25berlingueri823836_0.pdf?PHPSESSID=64969a28688594daf57a7263f42fb1ce

AUG 2005 Monsanto Pig Patent www.saynotogmos.org...

June 2006 Global Diversity Treaty: Standard Material Transfer Agreement (SMTA) a standardized contract that will enable much easier access to crop diversity. [ germplasm for patenting] royalty payment (1.1% of sales) is paid only if product is unavailable for further breeding and research. funds will be devoted to conservation efforts. Translation: Bio-techs Corporations steal seed from third world farmers, patents it and pay money to Bioversity International www.bioversityinternational.org...

December 2006 “In the EU, there is now a list of 'official' vegetable varieties. Seed that is not on the list cannot be 'sold' to the 'public' To keep something on the list costs thousands of pounds each year...Hundreds of thousands of old heirloom varieties (the results of about eleven thousand years of plant breeding by our ancestors) are being lost forever . www.defra.gov.uk... & www.realseeds.co.uk... & www.euroseeds.org/pdf/ESA_03.0050.1.pdf"

Feb 2007 GRAIN press release USA: Seed companies want to ban farm-saved seeds
A new report from GRAIN reveals the new lobbying offensive from the global seed industry to make it a crime for farmers to save seeds for the next year's planting. See History at www.gmfreeireland.org...

BIOFUELIn terms of energy output compared with energy input for ethanol production, the study found that:
corn requires 29 percent more fossil energy than the fuel produced;
switch grass requires 45 percent more fossil energy than the fuel produced; and
wood biomass requires 57 percent more fossil energy than the fuel produced.
www.futurepundit.com...

Feb 2007 Clones declared save: FDA decides based on “risk assessment” that meat and milk from adult clones and their offspring are as safe to consume as those from standard animals. portland.indymedia.org...

April 2007 Monsanto, Cargill and Maseca-ADM sign agreements to establish regional seed banks in the center and south of Mexico. www.counterpunch.org...

September 2007 Arctic Seed Vault www.physorg.com...

May 2008 Bio-tech companies lobby to lift ban against terminator gene www.gmfreeireland.org...

FAO is supporting harmonization of seed rules and regulations in Africa and Central Asia in order to stimulate the development of a vibrant seed industry...An effective seed regulation harmonization process involves dialogue amongst all relevant stakeholders from both private and public sectors. Seed quality assurance, variety release, plant variety protection, biosafety, plant quarantine and phytosanitary issues are among the major technical areas of a regional harmonized seed system. The key to a successful seed regulation harmonization is a strong political will of the governments involved www.fao.org...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join