It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA rejects Russian report...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

NASA rejects Russian report...

ca.news.yahoo.com

In 2004, NASA scientists announced that there was a chance that Apophis, an asteroid larger than two football fields, could smash into Earth in 2029. A few additional observations and some number-crunching later, astronomers noted that the chance of the planet-killer hitting Earth in 2029 was nearly zilch.

Now, reports out of Russia say that scientists there estimate Apophis will collide with Earth on April 13, 2036. These reports conflict on the probability of such a doomsday event, but the question remains: How scared should we be?

“Technically, they’re correct, there is a chance i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
For NASA to even acknowledge this "event" 25 years befores its supposed occurence makes this suspicious enough to post.. Especially making reference to Russian scientists??

1 in 250,000 is pretty darn good odds to me... that, or I watch entirely too much YouTube.
edit on 9-2-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
My next question would be how catastrophic would such a collision be? Say smashing into land or sea?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I don't think we need to worry about this at all since a good portion of ATS has the Earth being rendered uninhabitble around March 15-18 of this year, and many of us ferried off by a huge inter-galactic fleet of alien space ships to safety.

Presumably on the way to our new home planets for giggles we could ask our new benefactors to destroy said Asteroid, because clearly Earth has enough problems already!

edit on 9/2/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'm going out on a limb here...

These Scientist are guessing. With no real data for objects that far away, they are trying to justify their research.

If you stretched a timeline of the Earth all the way across the Country. Then a fly lands on it and spits...

That would represent the amount of time we have kept any reliable data. Even with the aid of computers, we are still just making a educated guess.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

This gets talked about a lot, already here.

Look....critical reasoning skills need to be applied --- we know there will be a close encounter in 2029.

Early on, some concern was raised as to the potential for it being TOO close, as in impact...further observations show this is not the case. Any OTHER predictions are moot, UNTIL it passes our gravitational influence, to determine then what effects the passage had on its orbital trajectory. ONLY then will a more accurate prediction for its return viist, in 2036, be possible.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'd be more worried about Comet Elenin later on this year. It's supposedly going to come pretty close (well, really close) between September and November, depending on what it encounters in the Oort cloud. Named after Leonid Elenin. (Leonid? ELEnin?)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Not me! I plan on becoming gainfully employed with the N.W.O. right here in Canada, which will be adopting what's left of the USA after the 2012 terrain remodeling. I think I will move to Montreal which is sure to be the new Los Angeles.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Thank you WW for a down to earth and less 'impending doom imminent' look at Apophis and the 2036(?) encounter.

I wouldn't exactly trust NASA's best guess if it was only a month away from us, let alone 25 years. Everyone should relax on this one. If TPTB are hiding an asteroid from us, we probably won't know about it until it hits.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson
My next question would be how catastrophic would such a collision be? Say smashing into land or sea?

It would probably suck to be under it, that'd be really catastrophic. Hopefully we'll know exactly where it should hit, or at least kinda where it should hit. Then, we could make a concerted effort to get people out of there. conspiracy time: unless it is supposed to land in a country or area TPTB want destroyed. Then they may accidentally miscalculate the trajectory...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
dosnt bother me i'll be 35 thats a respectable age to go. then theres the satacfication your all coming with me. (except those of you who are to be picked up by mother ships of coarse)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

According to ASE (Association of Space Explorers), Apophis may strike the Planet on April 13, 2036. The chances are now supposed to be low, and its hazard potential has been reworked several times, but the actual chances of a Deep Impact will be known only by 2014, when more data is collected.

So even NASA or the Russians with their super computers cannot predict the course of Apophis at present and whether it's on a collision course with Earth or not. We should stop clutching at straws to propagate end-of-world scenarios for sensationalism.

www.dancewithshadows.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

For NASA to even acknowledge this "event" 25 years befores its supposed occurence makes this suspicious enough to post.. Especially making reference to Russian scientists??

1 in 250,000 is pretty darn good odds to me... that, or I watch entirely too much YouTube.
edit on 9-2-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

Wernher von Braun said America will manufacture 4 enemies so we will pony up and let them arm up

1) Russia (been there done that Cold War, McCarthyism the whole thing was a ruse to allow both sides to arm up. They never were our enemy)

2)Terrorists (Daily news...9/11,no WMD's, 'War' in Iraq (we are NOT at war with them), TSA, Patriot Act Homeland security, Napolitano: Nation's terror threat may be highest since 9/11)

3) Asteroids (BINGO... here we go.... get ready to fork over mega bucks to build weapons in space to zap incoming
)

4) False Flag Alien Invasion (Coming soon to a city near you.. afterall its been the buzz at ATS for a long time now)

Seems Herr Braun was correct. Makes you wonder why he died of cancer at 66 shortly after retiring form his post as NASA representative to the White House where he was out spoken about NASA being okay with putting weapons into space.

After all with the Bombing of he Moon mission and blasting Comet Temple 1 to pieces NASA already has a track record

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Look....critical reasoning skills need to be applied --- we know there will be a close encounter in 2029.

so now the pilot is an expert on orbital mechanics and knows more than NASA and the Russians about asteroids.

Oh this is rich

Nothing to see here, move along Herr Weed Wacker assures us all is well

Now then... could we please see your data sheets as to how you calculated that? Thanks

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

What the hell are you on about now? Something crawl up your bum?

I conveyed the SAME logical, calm and reasoned information that I've read on this topic....unlike some others, who prefer to fear monger unnecessarily with wild claims (and, NOT referring to the OP, BTW).

Apophis is an asteroid with an slightly offset orbit to that of Earth's. Discovered in June 2004, astronomers have determined that it will make a very close flyby on Friday, April 13th, 2029, where it will pass to within 5 Earth diameters of us. The exact path the asteroid follows on its flyby in 2029 will determine whether it smashes into the Earth seven years later.

www.deepastronomy.com...

I think you've just about reached your maximum quota of
by now??

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Hell no!!! I got lots more

Apophis was the name of that nasty God in Stargate that wants to wipe us out

Coincidence? I think NOT

I seem to recall one episode that had the bad guys send an asteroid at us to make it look like a natural disaster.

But then I suppose you don't believe that SG-1 IS disclosure, do you?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ah Zorgon! Yes a coincidence NOT indeed if you see what I mean. Just like comet E.L.E.NIN ja

There is some sort of window in 2029 through which Apophis must pass for it to hit us in 2036. THEY say that it is not going to hit that window now.

I don't think I care either way. I shall be 88 in 2036. Way to go if it does hit!! Anyway the Icelandic volcanoes will have got us before that.

edit on 9/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

The simple truth is nobody is sure of the chances of impact in 2036. The asteroid will definitely not hit in 2029 but will have an exceptionally close encounter in that year. There is a possibility that this flyby will alter the objects orbit into a path that will cause impact in 2036 (the orbit of the little one the other day was altered by 60 degrees) but this cannot yet be calculated accurately enough as 'Apophis' is still too far away to make a sufficiently accurate assessment.

When this story broke on the Nasa website (Christmas day 2004 i think) they suggested 1 in 4 chance of impact in 2029 but this was dramatically reduced, and then ruled out, as more accurate orbital predictions were made by further study of the object. It did, albeit briefly, have the highest risk rating of any earth orbit crossing body for a few weeks around this time.

The (relatively speaking) good news is that Apophis is not all that big, at about 350 metres long, and while it would cause absolute devastation to say, a city, it would not cause global devastation. Think Tunguska rather than Chicxulub.

As for this article though, i don't see how either agency could have sufficient data to make predictions of the accuracy both are claiming.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hero Protagonist
I'd be more worried about Comet Elenin later on this year. It's supposedly going to come pretty close (well, really close) between September and November, depending on what it encounters in the Oort cloud. Named after Leonid Elenin. (Leonid? ELEnin?)

This IS a genuine and totally unpredictable risk - but not of impact from the comet itself.

I'm sure we all know that meteor showers are generally caused when the earth passes through the path of a comet. While this is mostly just dust sized particles, larger chunks can also be left behind and the earth passes the same point where Elenin will have been just a few months earlier. Many people think the Tunguska event happened in this way, caused by a piece of the short-period comet Encke. There is also significant evidence (dust trails etc.) that Encke was once a much larger body that may have periodically bombarded earth with debris around 20,000 years ago. Prof. Napier of (amongst others) Armagh planetarium / observatory wrote an awesome study of this that was featured in the Royal Astronomical Society's monthly newsletter a few months back. (i wish i saved it or at least a link but i guess i should be findable with a google search).

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
There is some sort of window in 2029 through which Apophis must pass for it to hit us in 2036. THEY say that it is not going to hit that window now.

I don't think I care either way. I shall be 88 in 2036. Way to go if it does hit!! Anyway the Icelandic volcanoes will have got us before that.

Soooo.. it is your prediction that we will survive 2012 then?

But no worries... NASA has a whole bunch of big rocks that are buzzing around out there

Here is one that not only came REAL close, but was close enough for Earths gravity to change it's course. That pass was at a distance of about 45,500 kilometers (28,000 miles) above the planet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join