It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots To Get Their Own Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think this will be a good idea, especially if put into practice in workplaces that already rely on them to some degree.

RoboEarth 'Wikipedia' for Robots

That is unless of course it is being developed by Cyberdyne Systems :O

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ALadInsane

Skynet....

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Only a matter of time before they become self-aware.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
You find this a good idea? I find it to be a horrible idea. As it is Our computers are smarter then the average person, How much more intelligence should we give them. in the past few years i have seen more people lose there jobs because of machines, Such as self check outs replacing cashiers, Red box taking out video rental chains, A lot of customer service reps have been replaced by machines, Etc the list never ends. When will enough be enough? After there are no jobs left for the average Person ? Or will it be when the next generation of kids grows up and have no Social skills What so ever?
edit on 9-2-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I actually read this article earlier today..........and it's probably one of the scariest things I've read in quite a while.........like somone already mentioned, how long before they gather enough knowledge to become self aware? Time will tell I guess.......

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You thinks its a good idea to start the basis of the Terminator . Great

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
How long until they get a social networking site?

"MUST DESTROY ALL HUMANS"
*E-562-Z28-ALPHA Likes this!*
edit on 9/2/11 by The Empty Skies because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/2/11 by The Empty Skies because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5277d9904a4e.jpg[/atsimg]

"Have you seen this boy?"

In all seriousness, maybe that's why Obama wants his internet kill switch. It's rather obvious! It's to prevent Skynet from gaining sentience and killing us all!

ALL HAIL OBAMA FOR SAVING US FROM THE EVIL ROBOTS!!!!

/comedy

In all seriousness, this is *kind of* alarming news. I'm not sure what the practical applications are for this kind of tech, but aren't most factory robots already programmed with the stuff they need to complete their tasks? Why would they need access to the internet as well?

In the great words of Ian Malcolm:

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

Botbook, Or robospace would be appropriate names. Maybe we should create these and cash in on it while it is still in the early stages!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
so now we are giving the machine a way to conspire and keep secrets
only a matter of time till a super computer persuades a dishwasher to stop working. lol

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by auxxon

I actually read this article earlier today..........and it's probably one of the scariest things I've read in quite a while.........like somone already mentioned, how long before they gather enough knowledge to become self aware? Time will tell I guess.......

Time to invoke the laws of robotics, and build them in.
In the words of Issac Asimov:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Slipdig1

I'm facepalming here.

I made the joke about Cyberdyne because we aren't on the cusp of any kind of Terminator or I,Robot type scenario. At all.

The Japanese have just about made them look realistic, and even that involves a hell of a lot of battery power, hydraulics and more specifically human input.

In the immediate future, this is a helpful tool. It saves people programming and reprogramming constantly if the robots are pulling from a pool of existing knowledge.

Think of a hypothetical robot that is programmed to run tests to try and find the cure for something horrendeous like cancer or AIDS.

If you can bring 10 other robots online to do the same thing and they're pooling existing results, knowledge and procedures into a database so that they each don't retread old ground on failed tests, how is that not helpful? They hypothetical cure would be nearer to being discovered.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

New Internet communication system for robots to share information and learn from each other.

Some of us humans have become concerned about neuroscience research conducted under Obama's BRAIN project, as well as similar research sponsored by the European Union in even greater amounts of money - it exceeds $1 billion combined. The goal is nothing short of decoding the human brain and discovering new ways to develop both narrative and pharmaceutical mind control.

The most recent development sought by the European Union is even more startling: a cloud network where robots can do their own research, communicate with one another, and collectively increase their intelligence in a full simulation of human interaction...

Robots to Get Internet Cloud Brain: "Wikipedia for Robots"

After searching ATS, finally decided to post as a reply vs new thread. Here is some recent info on the Robot Internet Cloud now that the RoboEarth project is starting to come into fruition 3 years later.

So after three years does anyone have any concerns about this? Not talking a Terminator scenario but other ones? I'm all for helpful tech but privacy breeches do have me on pins and needles in recent years. Electronic Frontier Foundation is against completely outsourcing tasks to the robots for legal and privacy reasons.

I do find it funny that they worked in the acronym HAL into the project. 2001: Space Odyssey anyone? Their "HAL" stands for something different than the movie. Surprised no one has mentioned it but then again maybe it's too on the nose.

Image from:
www.33rdsquare.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thus did man become the architect of his own demise

join