It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

680 days until we can put this 2012 paranoia behind us

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Thats the first time i've heard that - doomers

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
Funny how people poke fun at others for assuming they know with certainty of what's to come and then also do so themselves. How does it feel to Rick Roll yourself?

Actually, it's not that they're saying they know 100 percent that nothing will happen. The way they feel is that even if something does happen, it will not be because of the silly, incorrect reasons that are presented on this forum everyday.

All the current 2012 stuff is incorrect in its analysis. How can the end result be trusted when every method used to achieve it is either misunderstood or just wrong?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I would go farther than spinalremain and state that the people perpetrating these notions such as Calleman are smart enough to know that they pushing false ideas. They are hoaxers. They are frauds.

The entire 2012 idea is a means of taking money from the gullible.

In another thread I suggested the next year of doom and gloom is 2017 because
1. 2017 is a prime
2. a solar eclipse passes right over the New Madrid fault
3. there are mounds in Arkansas that I claim are there to stop an earthquake that will break the Earth in two

See anyone can come up with really stupid, false, ideas that can be packaged up and sold to the gullible.

Yes 2017 is a prime. Yes there is a solar eclipse. Yes there are interesting archaeological sites in Arkansas. Yes there is a New Madrid fault. They are not related. It is the 2012 claim that unrelated issues are in some fantastical manner related.

In just under 680 another means will be found to separate the gullible form their cash. That's a certainty.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I disagree, I'm not either a doomer or a complete skeptical, I just believe "something" will happend. Doesn't has to be the end of the world, the calendar apparently says a "new era", and from what all the info I've been reading and investigating (speaking of wich, I liked another comment someone posted about being prepared for nothing, or unprepared for something, cool phrase
) it would be, most likely to happend something.My point is, what you say, in my opinion, is arguable, and I do think too that everyone is using that date to make some profit while they can.

Excuse my poor writting, English is not my native language.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aprch

Been prepared for nothing or unprepared for something does this mean prepare for every doomsday prophecy? You will spend your whole life preparing and not living!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by simples

As I said, I'm not a doomer, I'm not aware of any other prophecies other than 2012. I was just saying that I thought it was a cool phrase, I don't even remember who said it here.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
2012 is like God. Maybe, maybe not but we'll all see one way or the other one day, won't we?

I tend to think I'm going to wake up on December 23, 2012, drink my coffee, do the laundry and shopping as I have done every Sunday since I was old enough to drink coffee and do my own laundry and shopping. I'm just not lucky enough to get out of it.

Then again, just the way my luck works, I'll win the lottery on the 20th and then won't be able to enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I look at this page every once in a while...

churchofcriticalthinking.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Aprch

I have to commend you on a well written statement. English may be a second language, but your writing is clear and easy to understand. I wish I could do as well in another language.

My problem here is that I do not see anything out of the ordinary happening in any given year. This year has barely started and yet extraordinary events have happened in North Africa. These type of events happen every year. With the world as big and as varied as it is there are bound to be extraordinary events - or at least events which we would like to put into that category. I understand that Italy has had more governments since the end of WWII than there are years. Maybe a government change is not that unusual there. I have no way to know. In the US governments change every 4 years in a well established mode of operation.

The claims of 2012 are so many and so varied it is hard to keep track of what it is all about. The initial seeds of the claim came from New Age authors that noticed that a date from ancient times was about to come about. This date comes from the long count calendar of the Mayans. That calendar was no longer being used by the time of Columbus. It had fallen out of use a long time before that meeting of the New and Old worlds. Now it is being rejuvenated and sugar coated with all sorts of recent made up tales that are all modern fakes.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It reminds me so much of 1999 and the big Y2K scare. Anyone else remember people going out and buying generators, stoking up of food, cash, etc. back then? Cause all the computers were going to shut down once the new year clicked. Oh Noooooz!!! It never hurts to be prepared and have these things but panic is useless.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Aprch

The claims of 2012 are so many and so varied it is hard to keep track of what it is all about. The initial seeds of the claim came from New Age authors that noticed that a date from ancient times was about to come about. This date comes from the long count calendar of the Mayans. That calendar was no longer being used by the time of Columbus. It had fallen out of use a long time before that meeting of the New and Old worlds. Now it is being rejuvenated and sugar coated with all sorts of recent made up tales that are all modern fakes.

I agree with that, everyone is doing their best to squeeze money out of it, but, the date maybe did meant something (It's quite fun to think it that way, the "something" gives room to anything, being either good, bad, or just nothing at all)
But sadly I think it's a common feature of our times, everything seems to be somehow exploitable to get a selfish profit, no matter what.
I... think I made my point clear... I can try to re-explain in case I didn't

Cheers

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

They'll just pick another year.

Same way It's always been done...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

www.bible.ca...
edit on 13/2/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join