It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Could Possibly Go Wrong: Immortal Micro-Organisms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

This has nothing to do with adnvanceing evolution. These are self replicating nanobots and they are already infecting people and its very painful. They actaully want to wirelessly connect these things to a computer with artificial intelligence. Sounds like it came straight out of Terminator or Star Trek. Read their document yourself

www.darpa.mil...

As for the claim that they are already here. I will make a thread just for that with great evidence as soon as ATS gets me off newbie parole.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonoluminescence

Originally posted by pedroroach
We really need to stop all this messing around with nature.
Sounds sort of like when they were breading african bee's with european bee's and they got out and formed killer bee's. That should have been the first and last lesson about messing with nature.

BULL $*@! That's just a racist scare tactic made up by a bunch of overt bigots.

You need to Google that topic. Africanized Bees has nothing to do with Bigotry? Perhaps you should search for information on the topic. They do and have killed people due to thoughtless human intervention.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I'm extremely pro-Science, but there is a limit. Science is not always so good at asking the question, if I can do a thing, should I?

Of course it's highly unlikely anything bad will come of this, but? They are Scientists not Prescient.

If we can develop a designer disease as a weapon should we? Well they did it and for what they considered good cause. I think you are narrowing the scope of this conversation to fit your bias perhaps.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Solomons

I'm extremely pro-Science, but there is a limit. Science is not always so good at asking the question, if I can do a thing, should I?

Of course it's highly unlikely anything bad will come of this, but? They are Scientists not Prescient.

If we can develop a designer disease as a weapon should we? Well they did it and for what they considered good cause. I think you are narrowing the scope of this conversation to fit your bias perhaps.

Nothing bad? Did you know a new organism has been discovered that defies classification?
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yay, this is fantastic! Now if only I were a soldier I wouldn't have to worry about getting injured anymore. Why can't humanity grasp the concept that we are mortals, and playing super human and trying to control everything just leads to more instability. I don't care that we "need" to advance as a species. This isn't advancement. We are built to expire at some point. Hate to sound sinister, but it's the truth.

And to anyone that thinks this will be successful and all of humanity will see its benefits, I say look at the AIDS epidemic in Africa. We have the technology to slow it, but how come the poor Africans don't get any of the treatment? Like others have said about biological warfare development. Is that for the advancement of the human species?

Why can't they find better controls for oil drilling that prevents catastrophic events from occurring? Wouldn't that be a better solution to oil spills? Sounds like they are forgetting to factor in something with the majority of events that negatively affect the human race and the Earth, and that is the human element that, hey guess what, makes mistakes. So to think this is going to go peachy smooth and not a negative thing will happen is folly. Come on people, wake the heck up, this is LIFE, not some fairy tale story that ends well. When you get humans involved in something, it almost always ends up turning sour.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick of seeing the ignorant masses going, "yay, this is great, nothing ever goes wrong!" Get the head out of the sand and do some critical thinking and really weigh the pros and cons of what the consequences and benefits of scientific advancement has done and will do for us as a species. Automation of manufacturing has caused the human race to be more obese. Sitting in a call center, yep, that sounds like life to me. Sure life is easier, but at what cost? I can take a pill for any kind of problem. But does that pill solve the problem or just mask it? Please give me the apocalypse already! I want out of this hell now!!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I feel like we've seen this before...

I'm just saying.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
apparently they didn't pay attention during Jurassic Park when they explained how Nature always finds a way to keep itself alive...Imagine if after a while the micro organisms cleaning oil evolve and start decimating plankton or something causes it to become self aware and not want to stop replicating itself...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
ohhh theyre making a molecular kill switch...Those never fail in the movies

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

None of this is really new news if you connect the dots:

DARPA Wants To Override Evolution To Make Immortal Synthetic Organisms - 10-2-2010

source: worldvisionportal.org...

Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery (MEOR) is the use of micro-organisms to retrieve additional petroleum production from an oil reservoir. Micro-organisms are introduced into oil wells to produce by-products which help propel oil out of the well. Because these processes help to mobilize the oil and assist oil flow, they allow a greater amount to be recovered from the well. (2)
----
In 2003, JCVI successfully synthesized a small virus that infects bacteria. By 2008, the JCVI team was able to synthesize a small bacterial genome. On May 6, 2010, JCVI revealed they had already created a self-replicating bacterial cell controlled by a chemically synthesized genome they named “synthetic Mycoplasma mycoides JCVI-syn1.0”. (7) This completely synthetic cell with its computer designed genome has absolutely no natural DNA. (1) The etc group from Canada named it Synthia and it contains added watermark chains to identify the genome as artificial. It also has antibiotic resistance indicators. (7) One can only speculate why this artificial bacterium has an inherent programmed capability to resist antibiotics.

This new life form has the ability to replicate itself and organically function in any cell into which it has been introduced. Its DNA is artificial and it’s this synthetic DNA that takes control of the cell and is credited with being the building block of life. This is the first self-replicating synthetic bacterial cell thanks to its computer generated DNA. All of the funding for this came from Synthetic Genomics Inc (1), the company BP has a sizable equity position and alliance with. BP is definitely way beyond petroleum just as their new slogan publicizes.

edit on 10-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
They kill all other forms of life and take over the world. Then they reorganise themselves into more complex structures and take over the universe. Being immortal they never die and doomed to spend eternity in this reality.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
On playing with proteins, from Andrew Ellington, writing in The Scientist:

...In the end, they don't know what the mechanism is, which is unsettling. ...

...complex systems have many, unanticipated, untapped, perhaps purposefully cryptic phenotypic states, and these phenotypic states can be accessed by something as simple as the expression of a random protein. If this is true for something as basic as biosynthetic pathways, might it also be true for other aspects of metabolism, such as pathogenesis or immune escape? Is it possible to change the state of what would otherwise be a non-pathogen to become a pathogen solely by randomly expressing some information? ...

...the real danger may lie in the inadvertent activation of cryptic states, including perhaps pathogenesis or immune evasion. When we 'hot wire' an organism, we may end up with a whole that is much more than the sum of its parts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join