It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Could Possibly Go Wrong: Immortal Micro-Organisms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

What Could Possibly Go Wrong: Immortal Micro-Organisms

blacklistednews.com

Leave it to Darpa, the Pentagon’s advanced-research arm, to bring synthetic biology to a new level of creepiness. For 2011, Darpa has dedicated $6 million to a new program called BioDesign, which according to the agency’s budget is an attempt to eliminate “the randomness of natural evolutionary advancement” and create synthetic organisms for specific functions—for instance, microorganisms that clean up oil spills or skin cells that an army medic could use to repair injuries. The twist: Darpa wants organisms “that could ultimately be programmed to live indefinitely.” Just in case,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Ok, this IS more than a little creepy, especially if at any point these organisms combine with other organisms.

Imagine if an organism like this combined with something like Ebola, where our only real defense is that the virus is extremely fragile.

There are a host of reasons why these people should stop playing god - but I suppose they need something to spend all those billions of US taxpayers money on.

The scary thing is that they are messing with things they simply do not understand - and when that happens, catastrophe is never far away...

blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
We really need to stop all this messing around with nature.
Sounds sort of like when they were breading african bee's with european bee's and they got out and formed killer bee's. That should have been the first and last lesson about messing with nature.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Well, I know that at least in humans, there is a certain trigger that determines whether the body continues to consume energy to heal and keep itself at peak efficiency. Maybe with this research they'll be able to figure out how to keep it active, extending the life and youth of people while decreasing the need for ridiculous amounts of children that need to be born to make up for the death rate (the birth rate, btw, is exponentially higher than the death rate now, so there's no worrying about humans dying out right now).

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I have to say i disagree with the whole "stop playing god" standpoint. I feel if there would be intelligent life elsewhere they would have altered their bodies. Think about us, we a re a pretty weak species, if we fall from a high distance, we splat, if we are underwater we must hold our breath, we must be in a space suit when in space, if a loud bang goes off we can loose our hearing.

With science like this i feel we could improve humans, what would be the problem with that? It would allow people to live happier lives, the ability to do things never thought of before.

Imagine if we could find a way to not need to breath, or need oxygen at all, we could create underwater cities, colonize any celestial body, the list goes on and on.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

The problem as I see it, is the seemingly cavalier attitude towards this kind of research, where it is done without the consequences being considered - and the point is that they cannot possibly know ALL the consequences...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Good grief... The Government is going to be our undoing, not some hostile ET threat.

While the Government works on micro-borgs, the other departments can finalize the operating system for Skynet and push it live. We can round it out by enjoying a nice piece of bread made from franken-wheat.
edit on 9-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Non-regulation of Biotech is going to play wayyy worse than deregulating banking ever did.

....You thought 2008 was a Global Crisis? Not even close.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
In order to advance in evolution sometimes you have to take big risks. Look at the Large Hadron Collider. Everyone was terrified that it would create a black hole, or strangelets. Then all it did do was produce a rather massive collection of information that we never saw before. It applies to this like it applies to every scientific discovery we come across: It isn't the discovery that is dangerous, it is how humanity chooses to use the discovery. You can make a microwave to cook food, or you can make an atom bomb to blow stuff up.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

The LHC is not an evolutionary step - we have NEVER gambled with an evolutionary step.

Hell, we barely understand evolution.

So experimenting with organisms when we have no idea of the consequences is like playing russian roulette with 5 chambers loaded, simply because we have so little knowledge of the consequences of our actions.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Genetic and Bioengineering is happening now, has happened in the past, and will not stop. The same fears about it are said about every new technology. They are just fears, not reality, and based on ignorance. The people who work with these technologies are not mad scientists. This is how we get better, faster, stronger in various things. If it wasn't for DARPA we wouldn't not be discussing this... A hundred years from now, we will be considered mostly ignorant and backwards by the people communicating with each other in whatever format they will have to do that.

V

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vortiki
ILook at the Large Hadron Collider. Everyone was terrified that it would create a black hole, or strangelets.

They have never gotten it upto full power yet and the scientists who built even admitted there was a chance (small but still there) they would create a black hole.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Variable

hmmm

so by bio-engineering organisms to be immortal, and having no idea of the consequences, we are advancing the species?

So what happens if one of these organisms interacts with another organism to form a super-virus that has the potential to wipe out mankind?

That's hardly advancing the species.

You talk of scientists as though they know everything, when the truth is they know very little - the LHC is not a living thing, bio-engineered organisms are, and that's where the danger lies.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Did you notice that the article tries to get you on side by giving clearing oil spills and helping injured soldiers as examples of things this tech can do?Sounds like they are trying to convince people this is a great idea,stinks of propaganda-wonder why?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
Did you notice that the article tries to get you on side by giving clearing oil spills and helping injured soldiers as examples of things this tech can do?Sounds like they are trying to convince people this is a great idea,stinks of propaganda-wonder why?

yes!

maybe we should all watch fox news instead!

After all, the MSM is a sourse of unrefutable information

Now would you like to address the point rather than trying to skirt the issue?
edit on 9/2/2011 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

When I see things like this, I'm reminded of a scripture in Genesis.
"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:"

Ignore the fact it is Biblical, but it is a lesson in wisdom. Our science is advancing beyond our ability to safely possess it.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

And there's the problem - they think they can control what they do...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I'm frankly shocked we have survived the development of Nuclear Weapons. That may yet get us before it's over.

LHC and the like don't cause me any alarm, but messing with things like this worries me also.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pedroroach
We really need to stop all this messing around with nature.
Sounds sort of like when they were breading african bee's with european bee's and they got out and formed killer bee's. That should have been the first and last lesson about messing with nature.

BULL $*@! That's just a racist scare tactic made up by a bunch of overt bigots.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
These kind of arguments always come up when science takes big leaps, if we had listened to those people in the past the world would be a very different place today...and many of the things people use daily without much thought that have benefited mankind would not exist. As far as im concerned they should go ahead with this and simply ignore those people.

edit on 9-2-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join