It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2009 article - Google Ocean: Atlantis found off Africa?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

...and the awesome part is that if proven true, ALL of ancient history is subject to re-evaluation. Many of us have long suspected we know very little in truth about the ancient world, that what we do know are but snippets that we over extrapolate from. If true, what else might have been buried? What was this cataclysm and what other regions did it tear asunder?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Just Breaking ?
The article is dated 20th Feb 2009

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
already debunked. or at least they say so. conspiracy?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Suskis

Let's not get in to that... *facepalm*
edit on 9-2-2011 by myster0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Here is the equivalent area covering the TriState area around New York city (same scale) I say there is probably something missing in this Altantis theory. No way you can make out roads or canals at that scale. Only the largest parts of the Hudson river are even visible.

No don't know what that formation is but I don't buy the city hypotheses.

BTW the scale would put the city at 75 X 95 miles or 7125 square miles. That's 23 times larger than the City of New york.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I thought that is already an old news. I have seen the pic a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
What it was 'seabed' scans from a different google image? Okay, I am not saying this is Atlantis, and regardless if this thread/story is from 2009(which I just noticed after excitedly thinking the story had actually 'just broke' after seeing it in on the Recent Posts page), a quick debunk stating the images are wrong because the data is not from that area, or whatever... Google uploaded the wrong pictures for that area sounds a bit too 'disinformation' to me.

'OMG we found Atlantis', meaning the public 1) know Atlantis was real, and governments have been suppressing ancient history - no, not everyone knows this- and 2) begin to widely speculate what caused the continent to sink into the ocean? - - > leading to 2012, and OMG planet X is real! - no the general public doesn't know NASA discovered it and announced it to the world in 1983/4 and again in 1992 before quickly shelving any and all information no the subject-

Atlantis cannot be made public knowledge without arising peoples curiosity in other ancient history, and force them to see how flawed and full of holes 'history as we know it' really is.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

no you are wrong. why would 'we' or 'you' have a lot more information on this subject by now? what makes you think 'we' would be privileged enough to know exactly what was being discovered as it happens if this were for real? the world's population barely knows anything at all about ancient history as it is.

the discovery of Atlantis would need to be carefully watered down into a sippy cup complete with safety lid for 'us' the worlds population, and nothing more. Atlantian ruins could be filled with alien technology, or better yet advanced technology outright proving we aren't the only technologically advanced civilization to walk this Earth, and thus destroying all credibility of the Vatican/Bible/Jesus, etc

edit on 9-2-2011 by loagun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Its an image artefact, the lines are the path of the boat doing the survey

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
i don't buy that they are boat survey lines. it very well 100% may not be Atlantis, but it's not boat lines. it's something else.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Not again.. i just saw this @ glp. i know i'm not supposed to go there but this had been around for a long time and has nothing to do with atlantis. Sorry if somebody already said this, i don't have the time now to read al comments. But it has nothing to do with Atlantis what you see there is called silt clearance, like in Dubai were they have suckt up a lot of sand to create islands, or when the seabed is getting risky (like ships can get stranded on it) they will remove a lot of sand, and you will also get straight lines like this..

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

NOPE.............I really don't think so..................
1st, the article and you say this was found 620 miles off the shoreline. YET from this map, that is WAY WAY WAY closer than 620 miles.
2nd, that "grid" isn't that large.
3rd, Plato described Atlantis to be an ISLAND....NOT a rectangular/square grid.

Keep looking. I believe in Atlantis, but we will never find it. The island not only sank, but basically imploded from the volcanic eruption. The island is gone, gone, gone.

You might have better luck researching Hy Brasil. (known as The OTHER Atlantis). A much smaller island, but just as technically advanced. Which of course was also "swallowed" by the ocean.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
well im bummed i thought we had something new here the discovery of Atlantis ..Ive always belived there was an Atlantis maybe someday we will find this underwater city that would be so exciteing ..oh well back to haveing my coffee...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mizbeach40

Not just an Island, Something equal to the landmass the size of ASIA!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I remember seeing this a couple years back. I even stumbled upon the information myself thinking/wondering if others knew about it. Did a quick search and sure enough, many others seen it on google earth as well. It even made msm a couple years back.

S & F though because I think it does warrant more attention. Would be nice to see what really lies at the bottom of the ocean floor in that particular area.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Pryde87

I've never seen a boat make a ninety-degree turn. That doesn't mean it's a major find as the op states. It does appear like dredging lines, but they're spaced too far apart for them to be effective enough for safe navigation. Plus, what boat has a displacement of a few thousand feet?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkitekt

The actual area addmitedly makes it look like the boats have made 90 degree turns however in proportion to the map those "Right angles" are actually quite a few miles in distance , which a boat could easilly turn in

edit on 9/2/11 by TedHodgson because: spelling

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RANDOMguess

The ancient city of Troy was deemed to be myth until it was discovered in 1871. Unless there's ever absolute proof either for or against the existence of anything at all, it shouldn't be discounted or accepted.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights

This looks like the real deal folks. If you follow the link you can view 5 zoomed images from Google Ocean that show a distinct pattern of grid lines criss crossing the ocean floor. If this was a city or early civilisation, then it must have been huge.

Go take a look and reply back what you think. (Sorry if this was already posted...)

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-2-2011 by the.lights because: (no reason given)

I think this is old news. I do not recollect if I had seen a documentary on History channel or another link on ATS but it was the same area and region in question.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This has more chance of being Atlantis.

People are right - the scale is the key.
Also bear in mind that over 12,000 years (the time elapsed since Plato suggested the ancient city-Island 'sank') has passed, so the chances of seeing road structures like this under so much ancient sediment would be highly unlikely.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join