It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Religious Folk - A BIG Gap in Mainstream Religious Ideology.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Relax, there is no hell anyway, so who cares what they imagine?

And yet the OP raises a good point, because it seems to me that anyone who believes that "someone else" should go there, is probably rather morally bankrupt.

But they aren't immoral for the most part! Millions of various religionists "think" they believe in hell, they may have even studied about it, but rather few actually believe it, when push comes to shove. Which is to their credit of course. But it's not easy to jettison centuries of garbage, not to mention individual lifetimes of indoctrination.

SO, the rest of us need to be a bit understanding of the religionists (and truth be told, many of us have been there at one time or another ourselves).

I think that Lucifer777's approach is a rational one. Learn about some of the basics, figure out why some of the particularly irritating beliefs are so ludicrous, and if the occasion arises, you'll be better able to make a positive contribution, armed with facts.

Some of these people may be your friends, or family, and every now and then, some of these vicious beliefs do in fact screw with people. While few will get violent, many are actually far more miserable then they let on. Perhaps Dad died "outside of the church", or mum passed on unexpectedly, before she was "saved", etc.

I think that people generally "know", at some level anyway, that believing people are "burning for eternity" is foolish, but there's all that baggage from their past. Every now and then, the time will be right, and one may actually walk right out of their cage! I've seen it happen. And the funny thing is that it doesn't always take that much. One seemingly "little" fact you may share might just hit at the right moment.

And maybe the world will be a better place as a result.

JR

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Question - Are these fellow humans going to go to hell just because some jumped up, western tainted religious poison hasn't reached their habitat/country/tribe yet?

ERM.. I DON'T-THINK-SO

Well, tragically (or maybe fortunately,) you aren't God, so what you think doesn't really matter.

Since you apparently don't believe in Christianity (unless you normally believe in "tainted religious poison") I'm not sure why you're asking, but I'll give you a reasoned reply.

It all depends.

Nobody knows, so there are "schools of thought."

Most Catholics believe in purgatory, where people who aren't super holy or super evil are sent to be "cleansed" of their transgressions in preparation for judgement. It's sort of a "second chance" for everyone, not just those who haven't been Christians on Earth. Of course, the question becomes "what's super evil", such that you won't even get that second chance, and nobody knows. I suspect being a hater of God (as opposed to simply a disbeliever) would be one of the things that might land one in hot water there.

Common Protestant thought is that we're all "super evil" and off to hell we will go. Except for those who have accepted Christ's offer of salvation, the impact of which depends on which denomination you belong to. Some say that we are imbued with his righteousness (so we become righteous), others say that we're clothed in it (so we're still the way we are, but our faults are "covered over") and others say that Christ just simply stands up for us and God forgives because Christ asks him to.

By most Protestant doctrines, no Christ, no salvation, but for those who have never heard of him, or who lived before he did, the spirit of Christ has always existed everywhere, so even without knowledge, some people have followed and accepted him. A holy and honourable Native American in 1300AD, for example, was a follower of Christ, even though he didn't know it.

Reformed theology, which is Protestantism through John Calvin, teaches double predestination, such that, before the beginning of the world, God chose some for salvation and some for damnation, the reasons for which no one knows. If that turns out to be the correct view, then all bets are off, and there's no telling whether those who didn't know Christ could possibly be among the elect.

There are other opinions, but those are the most widespread. If you're not a believer, you'd better side with the Catholics, because they're the only ones (apart from a very small minority, usually represented by the Quakers, which believes in universal salvation -- God loves everyone, so saves everyone in the end) that gives you an "out" if Christianity turns out to be your reality.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Many years ago I wrote a short paper complete with diagrams about the 3 plains of energy of the soul. The middle plain is the one we live in as flesh and the other two are dependent on how we use our lifeforce. If we use it for corrupt purposes, which differs from person to person, then the 'energy of the soul' that is released when humans die is attracted to the plain of negative. This should not be confused with the classical ideals of 'hell' but rarther as a grouping. It also ties in with the knowledge of Universe B, and the trials found in the Gateways of Thoth (Yog-Sothoth/Azathoth). In my view mysticism will always be mysterious by it very nature with no final solution because the final truth is divided uncountable within each spark of life of past and future. The present is fiction because nothing inside a 3 diemensional reality can be truly static hence that there is no present time only two states of motion.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

You should start your own thread!

It would be great if you could scan in the pictures you drew, or do mockups in mspaint, or photoshop. there will be the usual dissent, semantic wankery, and "the bible is the only way!" but there would also be some people who would just be interested in discussion with how you conceptualize "what the doin's is"

Always like to encourage open discussion on how others see things, especially those who have spent time exploring their own perspective and experience (not very many have). Not interested in debate though, as i feel its a complete waste of time (just a .s up
)

Always thought heaven and hell were quite interesting concepts, either way. Though, im not entirely confident in a humans logic and reason being able to figure out much other than singular (and sometimes multiple) observable facets at the same time. The intrinsic structure of the universe has a one up on our singular (or even communal) minds, to say the least
If it does or doesnt make sense to our logic, that really isnt saying much. (though this one certainly would have argued with that in my teenage years!
) especially if quantification is elusive. However, what little of a fraction we have been able to quantify, observe, and explore in our physical universe leaves one completely and utterly humbled and in a daze of amazement. It seems that cynicism towards such things due to consistency, or other means, might lead one towards an attitude where nothing is ever good enough, which could possibly be construed as hell. Though, i guess, all of this is starting to go rather off topic, as i am not a practitioner of a mainstream religion.

edit on 9-2-2011 by sinohptik because: foam matting

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer777

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." Mark 16

Some experts say that scripture was an addition and doesn't belong,

who knows, by now what the truth is, is anybodies guess.

There is no hell

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

I intend to do just such a thing in the near future, after all I have devoted thirteen plus years researching many of the topics discussed on ATS. My main vocation is occult magi science with special attention to Chaos magick incorporating lovecraftian disciplines.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join