It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Terraformed. And The Future Earth!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

If someone did seed us on this planet, one would assume that it was a good choice of real estate due to the ability to relocate nest door to Mars when solar change becomes a reality! Lets hope that when that day comes there will be no Martian carbon tax...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seitler
I think the biggest problem, and it has been mentioned already, is that Mars' magnetosphere is not strong enough for human survival.

Agreed! But then Venus too lacks a magnetosphere and still has a dense (albeit dry) atmosphere. A thick atmosphere could also provide protection from solar radiation and cosmic particles, similar to Earth's. In the past, Earth has regularly had periods where the magnetosphere changed direction and collapsed for some time. But life went on!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I'd just like to state that we started consuming more than we can sustain back in 2004. I will try to dig up the paper if I have to, but most of you probably won't be able to access it without going to the library as it is in a peer reviewed journal.

500 years is very generous op. We've got about 50, without climate change thrown into the mix. The amount of land required to sustain your life is much greater than that on which you dwell.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
i dont want hi-jack the thread, but isn't there already trees on mars?-

here's an interesting video about other evidence of an interesting mars- part 1, part 2

is it really too far a stretch to believe???

why do you think we've been programmed to only believe what we're told to believe and not rely on common sense!

why do you think we've been kept in such a naive little world!? why do you think so much technology has been held back form us!?
edit on 10/2/11 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Very cool stuff, i agree with the other poster it would be great to see, hell i would settle for colonies on the moon...i guess for the people alive now and relatively young we can hope that future technology 2050/60 can prolong our lifespans for centuries, transfer our minds on to machines etc Sounds a bit out there but many agree it is possible within that short amount of time given the rate our technology is advancing. Although i imagine mars would take longer than mentioned to terraform...a good few thousand years still sounds short never mind under a thousand.
edit on 10-2-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by WHOS READY

Sorry, but this has been debunked long ago! These aren't any trees or vegetation. Take a look at these images in progressive resolution and you'll notice that these are just terrain features...

Courtesy: Marsanomalyresearch

But this is what it turns out to be. I found this on another thread on ATS:

South Polar Region PSP_003443_0980
Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

Well? Nothing here!
There's 95% CO2 on Mars, but just 0.13% Oxygen in its atmosphere. If there were trees and vegetation, then don't you think that the vegetation would have released enough oxygen into the atmosphere to support life? But 0.13% oxygen doesn't point to the presence of any plant life there.

edit on 10-2-2011 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

what about the vids dude, has all that been debunked?

anyways, regardless, we've still been kept in a naive little world with technology held back from us!

those close up are they definitely of the pic you posted at the top??
edit on 10/2/11 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by WHOS READY

those close up are they definitely of the pic you posted at the top??

Yep!
Here's the HiRISE image as seen through the IAS viewer...

Zoomed...

More...

Courtesy: mikesingh

No plants these. Just plain terrain configuration as a result of ice melt during the Martian summer.

edit on 10-2-2011 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

et might not be to happy with them taking over there planet

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColonelSF
Yes! That's amazing!
I wish I could be there to see this happen. But why only Mars?

In the future, the nickname “Sister Planet” will be much more appropriate for Venus. Unlike Mars and Moon, Venus has almost the same escape velocity as earth does (about 90% Earth’ gravity), so the Earth-feeling will still be there in Venus. Venus will probably be a more fertile planet than Earth does, because land and water are well-spread in Venus, so mild water-influenced weather is basically everywhere.

The extreme thing about Venus is that there will be no seasonal change in Venus. A terraformed Mars will have season, but with a rotational tilt of 0, Venus will have no season at all. And the most shocking thing is that the sun always rises in the west and sets in the east, after 8 months of lingering in the sky.

And then there's Europa and Titan. The possibility of the human race spreading out into the Solar System is endless!

symbology-astronomy.blogspot.com...

But our major problem is that the Sun on aging will go bigger, brighter and hotter, and Venus is still closer to it than we are now

Maybe we COME from Venus and terraformed Earth as stated on the thread?

Great thread btw s&f

edit on 10-2-2011 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

Very cool, but how about we start with a wasteland much closer to home, say, Detroit?
edit on 9-2-2011 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

LOL I dont think city version of the S.T. Genesis Device would work in Detroit! pretty bad for what is still living the same living that cause the mess of Detroit in the first place remember what happened to Spock! LOL!!

Genesis Device
memory-alpha.org...

to bad this Device was Fictional !

Getting back to the Thread..

I thought NASA was Already Terra Forming Mars! you know the Unexplainable Increase of Methane
in the Atmosphere ! and those strange top view pics of Vegetation that looks like Trees & Bushes etc.. at the South Pole ? photo M08-04688

EDIT (Already been discussed about what the tree were ) but still its strange
well any way here is the Complete Strip of that so called Trees Vegetation on mars photo

( The Big Picture ) Wide Screen LOL the rest of it ! the Strange formation that Look Like Trees
mmmgroup.altervista.org...

A Forest on Mars
mmmgroup.altervista.org...

(NASA)
Martian Methane Reveals the Red Planet is not a Dead Planet
www.nasa.gov...

(Universe Today)
Large Quantities of Methane Being Replenished on Mars

by Nancy Atkinson on January 15, 2009
www.universetoday.com...
edit on 10-2-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

A cool presentation.

I have one question though.

"If Mars has life, do we have the right to terraform?"

My answer is "No".

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Terraforming worlds is likely possible, but I dont believe they could even begin to state how they would do it, because by the time that happens we will have discovered vital scientific tidbits that we did not know today.

Using a gigantic mirror? Ok let me sit down for this one. We pay NASA scientists $100,000s of dollars a year and they give us gigantic mirrors to heat up a planet, WTF???

I could think of anything that would be more productive IF IT WAS MY JOB than 1 big mirror. Why not thousands of little mirrors? What happens if the 1 mirror breaks, do we give up? Why not just mine the planet, let the exhaust from the mining heat the planet, use the resources to build more mines across the planet, then with those mines pumping out not only the resources we need to actually make a decision, but some co2 which might get the ball rolling. With the mined resources we could start to create facilities that are just carbon dioxide to oxygen converters, it would take awhile, but it beats mirrors and I thought of it in 5 seconds.

Maybe even around those oxygen converters you could begin planting so that the seeds of life can start to spread, making things quicker.

Reminds me of mythbusters when they built like 1000 mirrors and all aimed them at a boat in the distance and set it on fire or tried to. It sounds like a working idea but I doubt it.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluedrake
When I read articles like this, it makes me so sad as I know I wont be around to see it.
Imagine how exciting this would be if they could do this within our lifetime

I kinda feel the same way. But what makes me even more sad is the fact that we're not already trying to achieve this goal. We're too focused on oil, gold, stock markets and American Idol here on Earth to worry about a future for our species.

The simple fact of knowing that we're trying would be enough to ease my soul. Then again, if it's for all the wrong reason (i.e. mining resources or pillaging the planet for wealth) would cause me to lose all hope for mankind.
edit on 10-2-2011 by tyranny22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Some are say now, the as soon as 10,000 years ago, Mars could have still been a livable planet, and whatever had happened, happened not that long ago .....

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ
This stuff is SO fascinating!!
I'm always deeply intrigued by this. The thing that brings me back to Earth though is just imagine how much further we would be as a race if we put all our intelligence into this stuff, versus all the weapons and wars. Humanity would be so much more awesome if we didn't need feel the need to destroy ourselves and instead realized we're on this planet together... and if we want to survive, we need to figure out how to get off this planet together.

I, like many of you, am saddened that I most likely won't be around to see this stuff. With NASA not even willing to return to the Moon for many years, who knows how long the government will hold us back.

I think for tonight, I'm going to stare into the sky and imagine humans as a non-violent race and that we are spread out among the stars. The vast and infinite possibilities of our beautiful Universe. Good thread, OP!

everytime i hear some one say how advanced we wold be if we all stuck together,always reminds me of ronald regans remark to General Secretary Gorbachev in Geneva. he told [Gorbachev] to think, "how easy his task and mine might be in these meetings that we held if suddenly there was a threat to this world from some other species from another planet outside in the universe. We'd forget all the little local differences that we have between our countries ...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Well, what he said is true. We would unite and forget our problems if we had a threat outside this world. That is kind of the sad thing. Why must we wait until it's too late to unite? Humans are stubborn and egotistical. We let our pride separate us. "My religion is right; Yours is wrong- I kill you!!!"

If we would stop and realize we all bleed the same color. We are all humans on this spinning rock in space. It's dumb that we teach our kids to let go of things, but as adults we destroy each other. If we have any chance at survival, we must get past these things and look together into the future.

I don't know if Mars will be our future home. Or some place much further out. I love to think about where we may be in a thousand years. But to do that, I first have to imagine that humanity will eventually wake up and realize that fighting amongst ourselves is not the answer.
edit on 10-2-2011 by EagleTalonZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by VI0811

This is highly, highly unlikely:

....as soon as 10,000 years ago, Mars could have still been a livable planet...

This is not supported in any way be the exploration results obtained by the various probes that have landed. And, by studying the Martian meteorites that have been found, here on Earth.

The science is quite clear, and very solid on this. 10,000 years is definitely a bit too recent. But, it is hard t accurately determine time-lines, much investigation and searching needs to be done...might need to have a colony of Humans, to do the exploring properly. Geologists ("areologists").

Current estimates range from the atmosphere having thinned about one billion years after planet formation (leaving ~3.5 billion since then) to perhaps only a billion years ago, or even just a few hundred million.

There is no doubt evidence of past flowing water, on the surface. Thus, there had to have been sufficiently thick atmosphere, for at present water won't exist in liquid form, the pressure is way too low. Thing is, with thin atmosphere seen today, and no liquid water....erosion is very different than we experience here on our planet....so, the surface can remain nearly the same for hundreds of millions of years....with only changes being occasional very light dust blowing, and the CO2 freezing, thawing, sublimating cycles seasonally.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Humanity will never live to see this!!

Are we that arrogant to think that we can terraform another planter?

We are an infinitesimal life form, that colonizes and plunders its environments resources, more similar to a bacteria or a virus.
Symbiosis is not programmed into our DNA. (or taught to us by the telescreens)

Our Mother/Spaceship Earth is not very happy with us right now.

From whence we came; we will all again once go.

I think a better question than "was Earth terraformed" is...
How many times has the cycle of high civilization and destruction repeated on this planet?

And then use that to figure out if we can get our collective **&%$ together as a species and do something about a real problem.
Like our Mother Earth leaving us...

"The Earth is going to shake us off like a bad case of the fleas" -Carlin (RIP)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Just based on how long it takes to fill the bath tub, I'm just wondering if a few 1000 years would be enough to fill the potential oceanic basins of Mars.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join