It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Terraformed. And The Future Earth!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Man I wish I could live to see something like that!

Unfortunately, serious changes need to happen here on Earth before we really even consider spreading out to other planets...in fact, such a thing probably even wouldn't happen unless some cooperation or government decided such a thing would provide some immediate benefit to them.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
They forgot to add that an artificial moon would be needed to manage the wobble. That's why our earth can supportvlife. Because of our moon.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Not sure if it was you, but a while back this topic came up, and I pointed that OP to a trilogy of stories written by Kim Stanley Robinson:

"Red Mars"
"Green Mars"
"Blue Mars"

Example of the Mars Trilogy books @ Amazon.

Been a long time since I read them, but they are very, very well done. Lots of insight into the potential for political intrigue, too....same evil manipulations that occur today, unfortunately. Greed, power, hunger....

edit on 9 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This is an awesome concept and I would love to be one of the first people on Mars, but unfortunately at the current pace of NASA and other space programs throughout the world. I highly doubt this would occur even if I lived to see 300. When I was younger I actually thought we would have put a colony or research station on the Moon by now. I really don't understand what happened to the Space Program. I mean once we got the moon and showed up the Russians back in the 60's if that even really happened, as I have seen a lot of interesting data to show that we never even got there then. Aside from that though no one seems all that interested in doing anything other then the space station. It seems these days the only thing NASA is interested in is finding more reasons to stop putting people in space altogether.

There is one question I have on this whole post to the OP. Which is basically how would terraforming Mars help with the sun getting hotter? Mars is closer to the Sun then Earth is, so I am not sure how that will work.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Mars is closer to the Sun then Earth is, so I am not sure how that will work.

You're thinking of Venus.....

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
why should we use our technology to change mars? why cant we accept and cherish mars for what it is? surely using all our fancy technologies we could find a way to live there without vandalising it? perhaps we could change ourselves rather than our environment?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ

This stuff is SO fascinating!!
I'm always deeply intrigued by this. The thing that brings me back to Earth though is just imagine how much further we would be as a race if we put all our intelligence into this stuff, versus all the weapons and wars. Humanity would be so much more awesome if we didn't need feel the need to destroy ourselves and instead realized we're on this planet together... and if we want to survive, we need to figure out how to get off this planet together.

That's the whole problem. Everyone is so neive enough to be pursuaded into this division amongst us for such petty gain at the cost of another's downfall.If everyone just realized what could be gained as a whole and what we could accomplish. The possibilities are literaly endless or (infinite as you stated)......but unfortunately what most call Humanity I like to call Inhumanity. Hopefully one day we could all get on the same page because that would be something . To be part of colonizing another planet.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I only have one response to this post. As it is written in the holy book of the Word of God, in Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Only our Father the Creator knows our fate, and what he has planned for us. Only time will tell (or you could ask Jesus when you get to heaven)!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This concept seems technologically challenging but not beyond the realm of science, especially with how quickly technology has advanced over the last several hundred years. One has to wonder what happened to blue Mars? Is this is future of our planet? I know I'm just speculating but the implications are intriguing.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Nice theory but considering they can't do much about Earths weather I don't see what they could do on mars..

Maybe they could show us by first transforming some deserts here on Earth into fertile land and feed the starving..
Or sort out the issues with lack of water in many countries...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Thanks! I'll try and get my hands on these books.

Well, here's another way of looking at all this. A few million years from now, we would have probably achieved the hypothetical Type III civilizational status wherein our technology would have advanced to a level that we would be able to move the Earth to a farther orbit around the sun to avoid being fried by the expanding sun.

Sci-fi today, reality tomorrow! Who knows. Cosmic engineering may be going on by these advanced civilizations right now - pulsars, quasars, 'free floating stars', cosmic explosions and so on which have been documented but no one knows how it's happening. As Kardashev and Michio Kaku have mentioned, a Type III civilization would be so advanced that they would be able to manipulate the energy of not only stars but entire systems - which means the ability to move planets within a system.

Now if that be the case, would it be better to move Earth in the far future to a suitable orbit instead of terraforming planets and Moons in the Solar System?

But then, we need the space. Soon it would be impossible for all of us to fit in on this mud ball! We would need to find new homes. And that is perhaps our destiny!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

You are absolutely right and I cannot edit my post
So I guess my stupid moment will be forever memorialized lol. thanks for correcting me though

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I have always fantasized about ways we could terraform Mars. I remember reading somewhere that a simpler solution would be to launch nuclear missiles at the polar caps of Mars. This would cause them to melt, of course. Not only would we spread some of the water out across the surface but we would be able to see the effects that melting ice-caps have on a planet. I think the same article talked about drilling deep into mars and detonating more "nukes" to jump start the core of the planet again. I always thought these sounded like sound theories.
edit on 2/9/2011 by YoYosarefun because: really bad grammar

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Technically it is within the realm of possibility for all of us who are alive today to live indefinitely if we factor in anti-aging treatments and life extending implants and transplants and cyborg upgrades and genetic modification. As time rolls on fantastic medical advances will become commonplace. Near immortality through science is within our grasp. It would require a great change in our culture, in our civilization, to use science for the benefit of all mankind. The few hundred years to terraform Mars might be a blink of the eye to a highly technologically advanced future human machine hybrid.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

One of the reasons Mars lost it's atmosphere in the first place was indirectly due to it's size. Since Mars was smaller so were it's core components. It's magnetic field was weaker than ours in the first place. Another reason is it's distance from the sun. Mars would tend to cool faster than earth. Cooling has the secondary effect of slowing core rotation. Put these together and we see a planetary core unable to sustain it's magnetic generating capability for as long as the earth. As the field degenerates the solar winds, more and more, reach the atmosphere and begin sweeping it away. What we see now is the remnant. Reduced pressure boils off the surface water and so on.

So now if we are to terraform Mars into a nice place again we would still have the constant threat posed by the inability of the planet to protect itself against harsh radiation. Two things would happen. We would have to continue always the process so that it at least matched the eroding effects of the outside forces and second probably live having to be continually shielded also from those same radiations. It might look nice but it'd be deadly.

Conclusion is that it isn't worth the effort unless we found a way to make a protective magnetosphere to go with it. We might as well go there and live underground in the first place. There is still plenty of water in the ground, we think.

etc etc.....

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I'd say at this point, Mars has been officially warned.

The first step is have a look at what tptb have allowed themselves to do to this place, using 'elected representatives', of course, and realizing that a planet is not 'some dumb rock, after all.

That should preclude any second step, for a few millennia.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bluedrake

It could be done in 30 years. Also this article has been around for half a decade.

But yea, star and flag because it's cool.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

When earth goes why not go with it? If a captain's ship begins to sink he usually goes down with the ship. If you love the Earth you will go down with it too?

Im just kidding,
I wouldn't mind visiting Mars.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by KamiKazeKenji
I only have one response to this post. As it is written in the holy book of the Word of God, in Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Only our Father the Creator knows our fate, and what he has planned for us. Only time will tell (or you could ask Jesus when you get to heaven)!

I wonder if you have even read past Genesis 1;1.

The Bible is full of stories that tell of a different story of Man.

Aliens, Terra forming, Cycles, Spacecraft
All mentioned; albeit in a round about confusing manner, but hey, that was 3000 years ago.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Terraforming Mars is essential to the human race outliving the earth. Its so important it shoukd be started asap.

IMHO, NASAs biggest mistake was the ISS.. all the years and funding should have went to making the moon habitable. It wouldnt have cost much more nor would it be crashed into the ocean at the end of its life. This would have provided the experiance we need to move forward.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join