It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calgary removing fluoride from water supply

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Calgary removing fluoride from water supply

www.cbc.ca

Calgary city council has voted 10-3 in favour of removing fluoride from the city's drinking water.

Proponents of fluoride say it prevents tooth decay, especially in vulnerable groups such as the poor, children and the elderly. Opponents question the safety of fluoride in drinking water and suggest it should be up to individuals to decide whether to expose themselves to the additive.

The city should also see cost savings in the move — the cost of adding fluoride to Calgary's water is about $75
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.winni pegfreepress.com
www.vancouversun.com
www.metronews.ca

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Calgary: Remove floride

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Well all I can say is that this is GREAT news even if I'm from around the Edmonton area! This to me is most definitely a positive sign that some things can actually change for the better! But I'll tell you something. This also has me on edge as the only trade off seems to be plant upgrades. If this is the only trade off I would be surprised.

I never bought that whole, "it's good for our teeth" BS. I hope Edmonton and area is next!

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: SP + Added

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I wonder what they'll do with that $75 they save?

Maybe they could buy and extra 5 characters to the ATS external quote generator!

-m0r

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
great news, now maybe Winnipeg can remove the Brown out if it's water????? my 4 month old kitten won't even drink it. i should have never let him taste bottled water...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

article states a cost saving $750,000 if i am not mistaken.
2nd
f

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

I was told once the Fluoride makes people submissive?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Thats great where i am, they just starting adding it to the water.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well no one in Canadian officals know it doesnt improve your teeth as Canada already conducted a study that found the best teeth were on the west coast of Canada. Here in BC there is no flouride put in the water, so most dentists here must realize that as well. So why is the flouride really being put in the water?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
We sure did. I'm glad the decision was made.

So they put flouride in everything for healthy teeth? lmao, yeah right

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by superbuker
reply to post by AeonStorm

I was told once the Fluoride makes people submissive?

Here is a link you may find useful superbuker Why We Changed Our Minds About Water Fluoridation The Fluoride/Thyroid Connection

As this article and other like it suggest, fluoride may be the cause of:

skyrocketing of thyroid disease and its spin-off epidemics of fatigue, depression, anxiety, infertility, and overweight.

edit on 9-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: structure

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Good job Calgary! I admit I didn't have faith in you as this vote was nearing. If only a municipality would divulge the whole truth about fluoride when they vote it out, now that would be something.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
What I found funny is that the City said it could be months before they actually stop putting it into the water because they have to have permission from enviroment canada to change there water license and so enviroment canada could still shut this down and force us to have flouridated water again.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
We sure did. I'm glad the decision was made.

So they put flouride in everything for healthy teeth? lmao, yeah right

In an "Address in Reply to the Governor's Speech to Parliament", Mr. Harley Rivers Dickinson, Liberal Party Member of the Victorian Parliament for South Barwon, Australia [In Australia, parliamentarian Mr. Harley Dickenson raised the issue in the Victorian Legislative council, which is recorded in the official Hansard report on August 12th, 1987] made a statement on the historical use of fluorides for behaviour control.

members.iimetro.com.au...

I think this is why they really do it.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

edit on 9-2-2011 by exile1981 because: duplicate post

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
One step at a time, and one city at a time is all it takes to change the world.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Look at my post above ... Definitely behavior control. All of the side effects can control ones behavior and i would say this would equate to pacifying a populace through the fluoride in the water by creating medical problems (although this could backfire).

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I hope they successfully follow through with this.

From the OP's article:

The city should also save money with the move. The cost of adding fluoride to Calgary's water is about $750,000 per year.

The city was also facing $6-million upgrades to the Bearspaw and Glenmore water-treatment plants needed for the fluoridation process in the near future.

It's ridiculous to spend these amounts of money out of resident's taxes rates to damage the health of those same residents.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I'm a Calgarian.

It's true that it cost us about 750,000 a year to add fluoride salts to the water. But it's worth noting that the system designed to do this was old, and coming up for replacement. Replacement costs would have run upwards of 6,000,000 dollars. This is probably the biggest reason why the program was terminated.

I am very glad that we are eliminating fluoride from the water supply. I do not deny that fluoride has some benefits, but quite frankly; it's in my toothpaste, my pop, my prepared foods, and I get it every time I go to the dentist - why would I need it in my water? That's just silly.

Glad to see we are getting rid of this nonsensical cash cow.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

I'm surprised by how many Albertians and Calgarians we have on ATS, I kind of figured there were less than it seems there is of us.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I think that's a good thing? lol!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join