It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How TV ruined your Life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
This is Charlie Brookers satirical look at how modern TV is ruining our lives. I know a lot of ATSers avoid the TV, but this is worth a watch.

Strong language and strong opinions contained.

edit on 9-2-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I guess, it ruins lives because of the millions of people blatantly accepting almost everything that is coming through the damn thing.

In general you could say it stops most people from being able to engage them selfs in some critical thinking. What also does not help is a favorite political group, democratic or republican, conservative or liberal.

And to add, this program only keeps the people that already find these kind of tv shows frustrating and utterly mind melting, frustrated and angry about the subject it's ranting on about. in short, these kind of shows don't help either.

Convincing people to realizing it's utter rubbish and eventually stop watching it makes it better for all of us.
edit on 9-2-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: wanted to add further comments on the subject.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I agree with you..

And all of those shows about what clothing those unimportant, untalented, self proclaimed 'stars' have bought.. Who gives a flying f about them. Whole countries that are in revolt, and ridiculous laws being shoved down our throats, but still people prefer to see dancing with the stars.

edit on 9-2-2011 by Alex505 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I watched the episode (3) last night, it was the first time i'd seen it.

I must say it was quite funny, I can relate *alot* to the grand designs jokes.... my girlfriends likes that show.... too much....

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Okandetre

The ones that are the worst are those sweet 16 and teen cribs programs, it gives kids a warped expectation of what to expect in life.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
but yet, there is also something that makes me wonder, and that is when people say things like;

"I know it's rubbish, but it's funny right?"

At such moments I think, than your not getting what I'm getting at. It's wrong on more levels, including the one where they say it's funny. That's a trap. It causes nice rating for the tv shows anyway, and it has an effect on how you think if you watch it enough. Whether you like it or not, your brain absorbs it no matter what you do.
edit on 9-2-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: of grammar

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Oh Yeah, I'd much rather listen to egotistical Charlie Brooker about the TV, instead of making up my own mind

Lines!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

The television has ruined everyone's life, among those who watched it.
Even those that don't watch it now...still have pre-conceived notions about life.
From growing up watching it.

The people who run TV corps, Cable networks...they all know!
They know how much TV manipulates people.
Why do you see soooo much advertising on it?
Because it is society's biggest influence!!!

Girls get the wrong idea about life when young and think that their lives are about getting married, a huge wedding ring, large house and fantastic American Dream.
Boys grow up thinking that steroids is they only way to look manly, slaving away at work to buy said girl that big ring and large house, just to 'fit-in'.

It's a crying shame what the television has done to children.
Because when they don't get what they want, they get cranky.

It's all about pushing profits to a consumer nation...
And your TV execs know exactly what buttons to push.

I hate how people worship a box.
Literally.

edit on 9-2-2011 by havok because: Grammer

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I shall watch these videos later but I would like to add something that is relevant.

My aunt has 3 children; 16, 12, and 11, all of these kids are very good kids. I would like to place special emphasis upon the 11 year old as in today's modern society most girls by age 11 are already acting as if they are 16 and trying to be more mature. However this is definitely not the case with her, she is 11 and acts 11. But what makes these children different?

Well first of all they are home schooled by the mother who is a self-proclaimed 'Proud Housewife" and they do not own any electronics. No video games, television, computer, cell phones, or any of these gadgets. While they use what is absolutely necessary in regards to modern technology, everything else has never once been in their house.

Now these kids are definitely very disciplined, honest, respectful, and trustworthy. They stand out among all the other children in their area. They are all healthy as my aunt and uncle do not permit fast-food in their house, my uncle hunts for most of the meet they eat and keeps it in a deep freezer, and they grow most of their own vegetables and some fruits.

I just think they are a great example of the enormous difference between technology aged children and pre-technology aged children.

Personally I am not a big fan of television and could easily live without it. I never use my cell phone either, do not even know why I have it, last call I made with it was back in December.
The only technology I care much about is my laptop and the only thing I use it for is surfing the internet, not watching movies or playing games either.

Television is a major depressant for people anyway and an unnecessary distraction.
edit on 2/9/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
www.world-mysteries.com/sci_mindctrl.htm

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/pt15.htm

Some useful links.
edit on 12-2-2011 by Tindalos2013 because: the links required more space between lines for easier reading.

edit on 12-2-2011 by Tindalos2013 because: One link was incorrectly typed.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Also do a google search for L.Wolfe Hey buddy for his feature Turn off your Television.
I could not get the link to work so my apoligies.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Great video, but they really just speak to the common sense and the obvious. Ironic that this even has to be pointed out to anyone, but it does.

It's not really TV, of course, that's ruined anybody's life. TV is simply a medium and a tool that you can choose to use for pure entertainment and education. The ruined part is purely self-wrought and self-inflicted. You have the innate ability to recognize how marketing and advertising and even some shows set up false premise and and expectations, and you have the choice to reject these.

Any tool can be weaponized, abused, and used against you. There's plenty on TV that can be good and valuable. Nothing wrong with watching it or even watching some of the nonsense that's out there for giggles. Ultimately, you control what you allow into your consciousness and what you keep out.

Allowing what you see on TV to influence you in any way is a conscious choice reflecting a set of values, or lack thereof. TV doesn't set your values. You do—for yourself and for your children. If you allow something as mundane as TV to set your values for you, there were probably no values there to begin with, and it's nearly a hopeless cause. It's a cop out to simply blame TV or to say it subliminally worms its way into your subconscious. Sorry, but it is.

Adults who don't already know or think about this and are unable or unwilling to even entertain the possibility that they are being manipulated are probably a lost cause already. But maybe others, particularly their children to whom they pass on their characteristics and values can be saved by videos like this.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Though some television may not be good for you, I think there are some shows out there which can actually benefit people. My name is Caroline and I work on behalf of USA. Has anybody here seen Royal Pains? I think THAT is an example of a good show on TV as each week they discuss a new medical mystery. It exemplifies intelligent characters and follows Dr. Hank, a passionate Doctor trying to solve everybody's health problems. You can check out the show on the official USA website in case you haven't seen it. What do you all think of it?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yes, excellent, a little too crack headish for the masses though... How they always are. I'm not saying a lot of the stuff they are saying isn't true... However, a writer who doesn't believe in what they are writing, will obviously not make being factual his or her number one priority. So, you get something like this, an insult to your intelligence and quite irritating at that.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Well all I can tell you was that when me and my sisters ran through wheat fields waiting for our pops return from town as young children we never could afford TV. Then later when I was stranded on a desert island with the Skipper and Gilligan we didn't have a TV there either...

I dunno it's like anything. Moderation

I suppose, some will sometime in the future claim the interwebs ruined their lives etc.

new topics

top topics

join