Congratulations to the OP on an excellent first thread. This kind of thread is a great idea. Maybe more ATS members who happen to be in places of
interest will take photos and give a personalized tour of the place with their own observations. I definitely have a much better feel for Peenemunde
than I had before.
At least one poster expressed a caution against glorifying what was, after all, an installation that killed a lot of people. I agree with this but it
is very important also to avoid the trap of characterizing every effort made by the Germans during the Nazi era in a cartoon evil propagandistic
Doing so makes it easy for us to believe that we, ourselves
, not being cartoons and not being evil cartoons like the Nazis, are not
, when, in fact, what we do in a given situation, could very well be an emulation of the Nazis
The Iraq War is a good example of this.
The telescopic isolation and display of the horrors only
, important as it is, can cause the more sinister likenesses to our own times to go
The Germans of the early 20th century were, in so many ways, the architects of the 21st century. Their story needs to be known completely in as much
realistic detail as possible.
Sample homework questions:
1. Did the Nazis have a "military industrial complex"?
2. Compare and contrast the American "military industrial complex" with the Nazi "military industrial complex".
3. Who was in charge of the Nazi "military industrial complex"; the military?, industry?, politicians?, other?
4. Who is in charge of the American "military industrial complex": the military?, industry?, politicians?, other?
5. Allowing for the fact that the Peenemunde complex was operational during wartime
, compare it's aims, purposes and methods, with those of
NASA and JPL.
6. Instead of imprisoning the war criminals of Peenemunde and other scientific research installations, the United States and the Soviet Union put
those scientists to work in their own research installations. Discuss the ethics and morality of Operation Paperclip. When America imported Nazi
scientific expertise, did it also import Nazi ethics?
edit on 10-2-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)