It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help a lady out please... With my chainsaw, lol.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Help a lady out please... With my chainsaw, lol.

Ok, look, I’ve no where else to turn - so - here I am.
And yeah I’ve looked on line for a support forum for my chainsaw, but, it doesn’t exist - so please don’t suggest I go to some ‘chainsaw’ forum, unless you know of one and can post a link.

Here’s what’s up.
My chainsaw is new - only used through three gas/oil refills.
It’s not my first chainsaw - I’ve been using them for years - but - never had this problem.
Oh, did I mention I have no service help anywhere in my area - or men - lol (who seem to know just what to do)...

The problem? I start her up just fine, use her for about 5 minutes and she stalls.
Start up again - stall.
Give her gas - stalllll.
Let it sit for a while and she’ll start and work again - but only for about 5 minutes and the whole terrible cycles starts all over again.

I was sure she was adjusted fine (the high/low) and it’s not the air filter - obviously not the gas or oil and the spark plug is new.

HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!

I’ve got tons a wood to cut and have to make room for more to be dropped off tonight and if I don’t make soom I loose a load a free wood (something I can’t afford not to have)...

Thanks so much!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Sounds like it's over heating try puting a little more two stroke oil in with you petrol if that don't work try the settings on the carb there's a scew what gives it more petrol or air screw it all the way in and then a quarter of a tern out and keep turning it a quarter till its right. I'm a gardener but I do trees as well and we have a family shop were we fix and sell mower chansaws blowers etc hope this helps
If that don't work get back to us

edit on 9-2-2011 by majestic3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

it sounds to me like its running way too rich when throlleled - and delievering so much fuel that it floods

does it smoke excessivly just prior to cutting out ?

my foirst advice would be is it still under warranty ? - you say its new is it new or new to you ?

also think outside the box - is there a lawnmower service centre near to you ? they could service your chainsaw

barring that - my initial line of enquiry would be the choke plate

is it operating soothly ? are you pussing it all whe way back ?

is the linkage bent or broken - it may be new - but damage in transit happens

if thats all in order - you need to look at the carb

with the side covers off - you should be able to see two adjuster screws

they SHOULD hopefully be marked hi and lo

lo - is for iddling control - ignore that for now

hi - is for full throttle

using an appropriate size screw driver make incremental adjustments - and the problem should either get worse or better - adjust till it runs without stalling - then check its preformance under load

its easy to go too far - and it will loose power

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Generally when i clean the bone and flesh from the chain, mine stops acting up. ....
Seriously though, i have had more chainsaws overheat than anything so i would say majestic has the solution, however ignorant has a pretty solid idea there too.
Overheating i would check first as the saw runs for a bit.
Plus i would trust my gardenners advice if i had one!!

(Edit)
Make sure the bar oiler is working, as this could cause excessive drag.
I know you prolly already checked this but just in case.
edit on 9-2-2011 by g146541 because: further info

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Yeah I agree with the previous poster, Check the choke setup, maybe a spring has come off or one of the cables attached to the slide has come loose.

Good Luck

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

HiYa Silo

Sorry to hear about your current chain saw night mare. I agree with this poster and the ones above regarding oil gas mixture. Unless you have the right ratio she won't love you.

Question No 1 do you have a 2 stroke bottle which you fill with gas to a certain level and then have a add oil to the next line?

Question No 2 all 2 stroke engines have different ratio oil to fuel mixtures do you know you saws exact mixture ratio???? That is very important almost as important as question no 1!!!!

With out a fuel mixture bottle with measurer lines then you are only guessing and that my friend will foul your spark plug! Of course this leads to the next question!!!!

Question No 3 Silo have you removed your spark plug and clean the sparking area with a wire brush using gentle motions as you only want to clean off the black or darken areas not the lettering or threads LOL.... Next after cleaning spark plug do you have a feelers gauge to measure the correct spark gap of the plug? If the electrode and plug are not in the correct torrerances then you could have a over heated chain saw but combined with the above possible problems you will be developing a right hook that would take on Mike Tyson soon...

If you cannot answers those in the above dumb questions please U2U me and let me know make and model number of your weapon of choice and I will see what I can find. If you don't have a mixture bottle or know the oil / fuel mixture ratio stop immediately what your doing and U2U me the info.

Silo Chain saws are dangerous enough on their own as one posters stated his doesn't work well unless he has the right bone and blood mixture to his saw teeth..... So let have a look at these things before we call you peg leg!!!! Your too pretty to be polishing furniture on your body!!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This is something that might help ...If you take a piece of bent wire and fish the fuel filter out of the gas tank you may find it has some dirt in it ...It happened to me once ...After going threw all the steps given to you, above mine you might have a look ...peace

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Thank you all SOOOO Much!

You're all my 'knights errant'!

It was the carburetor adjustment!

So, here I am thanking you all for your help and I wish I could give you all something nice like cookies or fudge or home made bread! (Yeah, I can cook, not just cut up wood)!

Anyway... Finally got it going and it took 7 hours of straight work but I got well over a half cord of wood cut, split and stacked.

Now, I'm dead... If I don't go drag myself into a bath I'll truly die... My back is screaming obscenities at me but I just had to come back here and tell you all thank you again!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This rocks, and now your that much the wiser.
Personally i think you just picked the bone outta the chain but, fuel mixture excuse is fine.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy and post by g146541

Ya know, in a way your post(s) - as much as it made me shiver (bone chips blood and peg-leg) really paid off in a way - I mean they got me thinking about 'what if'.

- I'm 45 minuted from an ambulance even getting here.
- No home phone and no one around to call if I did have an accident.

Then? The hospitals here? They're straight out of a nightmare. I went in for gash in my head once - the emergency room?

- No ice on the head wound.
- No ex-ray.
- No anesthesia at all for the sutures and they used HUGE thread that let a huge scar. Oh and:
- No antibiotics,
- 3 of the sutures fell out two days later.

So, yeah, you got me thinking. And I was more careful than usual using the chainsaw.

Thanks again all!

peace
edit on 10-2-2011 by silo13 because: hugs

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hi little lady----what you might look for is the spark arrestor screen in the mufler.they clog easy and will block air flow through the saw. I had this problem 1 time and took the screen out and it worked fine[ dumb safty screen to prevent fires] It is easly removed.
Another problem is water in gas--run some gas with isoprople alcohol in it.
Number three is to change spark plug for it could be bad when heated but fine when cold?? Hope it helps you

new topics

top topics

join