It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Administration: Not worrying about the environment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Most people's political concerns this year seem to be focused either on Iraq, terrorism, or the economy.

Now, Bush has an agenda that clearly destroys the environment.

Let us take the following:

Air Pollution: Today more than over atleast, I would say, 150 million Americans-almost half the population-are exposed to unhealthy air pollution levels. We have emissions from industrial zones, power plants, etc that are linked to a myriad of public health problems such as asthma attacks, slow neurological developments, and stunted lung development.

President Bush has partnered with industry lobbyists to begin a vast rollback of Clean Air Act protections. His so-called "Clear Skies" initiative will result in higher pollution levels while doing nothing to reduce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases that cause global warming. This Act allows for more sulfur emissions, increase of nuclear energy power plants, allows for more smog, etc. As we all know, the United States is not part of the Kyoto Protocol. So, there is no help there either...

Water Pollution:

We also have Bush mentioning that the water problem will take care with the EPA's effort. It not only takes the EPA!
In November 2003, the Bush administration proposed to allow treatment facilities to "blend" wastewater, diverting raw sewage and other pollutants directly into streams, rivers, and during rain seasons..what is that? What does it cause?

Obviously, more ocean pollution as well. There is marine life, you know? What about the wetlands? The nation's isolated waters-wetlands, streams, and ponds-are vital for flood control, filtering pollutants from our waters, and providing habitat for wildlife, as well as for commercial fishing and shellfishing, among many other uses. The Bush administration has jeopardized this vital resource.

Global Warming:
I mentioned the Kyoto Protocol. This is an international agreement that binds all industrial nations together in an effort to reduce ghg (greenhouse gas emissions), and Bush refused to be in it, because it would hinder "industrial development". We have enough industrial development for our current time.

Americans also know the solution: applied American ingenuity and new technologies that can curb this pollution while creating good-paying jobs and strengthening America's economy. We also know that this will not happen without presidential leadership--

With a president that calls global warming "junk science"...that is a scary thought.

Bush calls the (Kyoto) treaty "ineffective, inadequate, and ... a bad deal for America and Americans." Here is the source for the claim:
www.freerepublic.com...

With all the worry about terrorism threats, the environment is left alone...

[edit on 07/13/2004 by Aquarian1]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This a concern around the world. Almost no one cares about the enviroment. Even the popultation. Tell me do you always recycle if you recycle at all?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You can add the Endangered Species Act to the list. This from just a few days ago:

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well this is nothing new, the reason we are getting all this warnings about terrorist attack and all the media focus on it, is very simple, so the nation don't focus on the other issues that are as important as the war on terror, the war on keeping our environment clean.

Bush is a business man he does not care about what gets in the way of making money and keeping his business buddies happy.

What happened to war on drugs? It when with the wind.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
This a concern around the world. Almost no one cares about the enviroment. Even the popultation. Tell me do you always recycle if you recycle at all?

I'm not a big recycler even though I should recycle more often but my friend is a NUT when it comes to recycling. I'm actually proud of him. As for the issue concerning this topic, Bush could care less about the enviroment. He'd rather see everyone die from pollution then running around giving money to the poor and homeless.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Believe me, when he was governor of our fair state, he proved to be very pro big-business and very neglectful of any environmental issues. We sure didn't make any progress here in Texas under his administration.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
just to be fair when has any recent president done any big thing for the environment? they all pay lip service to it but do nothing. i do my share of recycling, i don't drive an SUV, but other then that, i'm sorry to say, i don't care much about the environment. with so many conflicting reports; some say there'll be no problem for hundreds of years, maybe thousands, and others say only a few years.

top topics

join