It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

February 8th 2011: Video Released of Toronto Police Officer Threatening to Tazer Mans Genitals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
January 31 2011, Toronto Poilce Officer Christopher Hominuk pleaded guilty to one count of bodily harm.

Videos showing a Toronto cop threatening to Taser two suspects demonstrate the need to record virtually all police interactions with the public, a prominent lawyer says

TheStar.com

Yet another disgusting abuse of power, this time by a Canadian Police officer. I thought Canada had the lowest rates of criminal violence...After watching this video I can now understand why.

Seriously though, This is the exact reason why, especially in the United States that it is VERY VERY important to fight the new laws that criminalize average citizens for video taping or recording audio of police officers while on public duty. This law affects mostly citizens that live in two part states.

Two party states are those states that require both parties to be informed and consent to audio and video recording.

TWO PARTY STATES

California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Montana New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

In these states it can be a felony to film your local public officer while he/she is on duty. This system that we are living in is getting way out of control and needs to be stopped now. Change legislature, protest, do whatever we have to do and get these laws working for the people again and not the corporate gestapo.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
This is nothing worse than how an RCMP tasered a disabled man:

(www.youtube.com... if the video didn't work)

And The Star has a blatantly Liberal agenda. They're really good at making small issues into big deals.

As for your second point, I totally agree. The moment you step outside of your private cozy little home, you are on public grounds. It is legal to photograph / film people without their consent in public and it should be no different for police. Your job performance is heavily monitored at work, be it supervision or video surveillance; it should be no different for police officers.
edit on 9-2-2011 by purpledrapes because: Added a second point

edit on 9-2-2011 by purpledrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by purpledrapes

That was first up when I googled the story for reference. There are many sites reporting this, they all pretty much say the same thing. I am not sure where you were going with that first comment, but to be clear... I am not offended. Just to put it out there...Here is the same story on a LEO website forum.

policeone

WinnipegSun
edit on 9-2-2011 by Moose318 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Cops are cops... it makes no difference if you're in the States, Canada or Egypt. They love to abuse their power, we give them a badge and tools to hurt people, we tell them that people have to respect them so what do you expect will happen?

This is disgusting and why I'm not a citizen of my country but a citizen of the world. I do not condone any actions taken in part by my country, I'm my own man. I wipe my ass with the flag and I spit in the face of authority, I know what's right, I don't need it dictated to me with a fist to my face and a stick up my ass.
edit on 9-2-2011 by Cocasinpry because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Moose318

With my first comment I was just getting at the notion that you need to take into account where you're getting your information, what their motive is, what their agenda is, and what's their angle. Although it is pretty hard over video footage.

There's shock value. That's expected out of a news story. I just think there might be more to it than what's being presented to us.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by purpledrapes

I do my best to always find accurate sources but usually take most of them with a grain of salt, so to speak. I prefer to try and have the most open minded and neutral view point I possibly can.

They say pictures are worth a thousand words, and sometimes videos are worth more. When I see this video, I can not really stay neutral in this circumstance. In my opinion, it does not matter too much... what went on before. Police are supposed to use only the appropriate force to control a situation. Once the suspect is handcuffed and put in a vehicle, Unless he is kicking and could possibly harm himself or others, there is no need fo such terror tactics.

I have a feeling that many of these kinds of officers who exhibit this type of behavior, have watched way too many lethal weapon and Die Hard movies. They identify there own personality with an actor in a movie and take on the personality or scene with them on their job. I will admit, that is streaching it a bit...lol this is only speculation on my part, but the rise of this type of behavior, after the suspect is detained is definitely happening much more than it used to. Perhaps that is more to do with more people and camera filming everything and actually catching it on tape.

The media is a double edged sword, the create the drama and the images and make such things available for all to see, thus changing perspectives both positively and negatively. They also help expose such truths to the public eye and show the realities. I have been on both sides of the law, and I must say that I have seen how a small situation can be manipulated and exaggerated by authorities to bring a desired response or effect.

I try and hold a neutral stance when it comes to law enforcement, but anymore...It is getting quite hard to not be a little paranoid and biased after seeing video ,after video, after video of these types of events unfold. In my eyes it is a stunning confirmation that we are living in a police state, with our interests no longer valued.
edit on 9-2-2011 by Moose318 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moose318

Police are supposed to use only the appropriate force to control a situation.

We all know how police officers should act and in a perfect world an issue like this would never come up. But we're not just looking at officers, we're looking at people. No matter where you look people will harm and exploit others for some sort of personal gain.

I have a feeling that many of these kinds of officers who exhibit this type of behavior, have watched way too many lethal weapon and Die Hard movies.

Are you saying bad officers are a product of bad media or rather officers who are bad are just more likely to watch these types of movies? Hahaha I kid. I suspect The Chain of Screaming (or is it rather The Circle of Screaming?) has a part to play as well.

this is only speculation on my part, but the rise of this type of behavior, after the suspect is detained is definitely happening much more than it used to.

Like you said, it has to do with it being on footage now more than ever, but I don't think this behaviour is anything new. Just because the public is more aware of it now doesn't mean that it hasn't been happening before in the same quantity.

But besides that bud, I totally agree. Even trying to be impartial this is clearly terrible stuff.

top topics

join