It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The anatomy of the brain, alien origins.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
reply to post by demonseed

The answer is quite simply because we are so tasty to them. We also have the largest brain-body mass ratio than any other animal on the planet. Giving our brain the capacity to make some of the most pure and potent CSF.

Actually

The tiny shrew, which holds nearly 10% of its body mass in its brain, has the highest brain to body mass ratio of any known animal.

Also, many small birds have higher brain to body mass ratios (1/12) compared to humans (1/40)

Brain to body-mass ratio

How does having a relatively large brain make our cerebrospinal fluid the most pure and potent?

Sorry let me re-phrase that..

highest brain to body ratio proportionate to size.

more neurons firing = more intake and output within the brain = more need for the fluid.

Btw, i am not denying that aliens harvest other animals on this planet(cow mutilations, anyone?).

edit on 11-2-2011 by demonseed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by demonseed

highest brain to body ratio proportionate to size.

Those two phrases mean exactly the same thing

more neurons firing = more intake and output within the brain = more need for the fluid.

Not necessarily, epilepsy causes excessive or synchronous neural activity in the brain (more neurones firing). The outcome of epilepsy is a seizure.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well at least we're "free-range". I'd hate to be kept in some cramped cage.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
There are so many flaws in the logic of this idea. It is simply inane.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

Thank you for your detailed and descriptive comment. We are blessed to have such a powerful interpreter of logic and thought at our feet.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

Thank you for your detailed and descriptive comment. We are blessed to have such a powerful interpreter of logic and thought at our feet.

Several users have already pointed out those flaws in this thread. What do you want me to do, repeat them for you?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm not gonna worry until or unless I wake up one morning drooling, and with two little red marks on the back of my neck.

< - huge sucking sound - >

Whoops! Too late!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
wouldn't it make more sense to farm whales if all they're after is cerebrospinal fluid? they got bigger brains than we do and a larger nervous system by far, guess that means more fluid too. and seafood are always healthier to consume compared to other animals.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
There are two major conflicts I see, here.

First... why spinal fluid? Why not blood? We've got a lot more of that than we have cerebral spinal fluid, and you could take far more of that in a single go - more than enough to offset the costs of processing it into some more desired form. You could even collect it without the whole abduction scenario - just hold a blood-drive or create a shadow-agency within the Red Cross, so we're none-the-wiser (we tend to get suspicious when we lose track of hours of the day and wake up with weird scars and what-not).

Second... why such a complex animal? Bacteria reproduce - rapidly, and are some of the most efficient chemical processing systems known to exist. Why make a -sentient- critter that has the potential to make its own decisions and develop technology that can develop unpredictably and potentially lead to a military threat? Sure - raising cattle can be a little dangerous - but the cow isn't very likely to figure out how to make a torch and burn your house down.

It'd make more sense to argue that the genes that lead to impractically large breasts on females were the result of attempts to create a "human dairy farm" - given that large breasts are an evolutionary liability. While males tend to be aroused by them - our reproductive cycles don't really have much of a benefit to larger mammary glands (whether or not that leads to increased lactation). It may potentially be a factor, as a few studies indicate multiple births to be on the rise - but this would be due to the relatively recent developments in society.

Now - to side-step... what many people lack in regards to "symbiosis" is perspective.

I'm an advanced species, so advanced that I can live on a planet with almost no visible impact, in space, or travel the vastness of space in practical spans of time. That at least points to some very advanced industrial and material processing techniques if they somehow missed the whole idea of computers, bio-medicine, etc.

It's quite obvious that I have just about everything I need to continue my own existence indefinitely. While it's possible I would search for worlds on which I find wonderful tasting produce or prey - it's more likely I'd be looking at other indigenous species the same way we, humans, look at other species on the planet.

We look at bacteria to see if their stimulus-response operations can be used to process things we need. We look to our own cells and other micro-organisms to get ideas for how to build better computers, polymers, and other materials. We look at birds to improve our aerodynamic designs and look to insects and hives to find ways in which to develop and improve computational network efficiency.

What would an alien species look to find from us? How we have solved various engineering and scientific challenges - things they could have missed, or things we have just done better. Even though we aren't zipping around over lightyears of space in the blink of an eye - we may be some of the most masterful biomedical technicians out there. Our society may be highly out of the ordinary - a chaotic balance between individuality and group-think; something that may be the subject of mathematical/computer physicists of other alien species - going towards better simulated intelligence networks or even furthering research into cognitive models.

I think we often get a little too fixated on biology and anatomy. While biodiversity is certainly an interesting idea - we'll be looking at having enough computational power in the average cell phone to simulate complex protein and macroscopic chemical interactions by the turn of the century. If people even remember what a cell phone was.

It would be relatively unnecessary to venture to foreign worlds to find new forms of life to study, in a chemical/anatomical sense, as you could simulate them from a desk. Like a hyper-advanced version of Spore.

What'd be more interesting it so see what kind of technology and solutions we develop to our problems that could have meaning for another race facing similar problems. That's a -highly- valuable resource... a different, and wholly unique, perspective.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Why stop there when they can harvest our yummy and nutricious brains too?
Newsflash... Alien ate my husbands brain. Then again that could explain a lot of mindless posts in ATS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join