It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having a panic attack over 2012...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
After thinking further about the OP, is anyone else concerned that as we near the end of the Mayan Calendar, some people will be so distraught and convinced that the world is about to end that crime may increase, civil unrest (and not the good kind) will erupt, and the world will cease to function without disruption?

I've been thinking for a few weeks now that at least some of those who are convinced Dec 21, 2012 is the end of the world would be likely to crack under the immense anxiety of facing the possible end of the world. The 2012 prophecy is popular knowledge, and I'm sure awareness of the "prophecies" will only increase over the next 22 months.

If you're already criminally inclined or extremely selfish, why wouldn't you take a chance on looting, robbing, and killing as you please when you believe you're going to die soon anyway?

I only mention this because this thread is one of the first pieces anecdotal evidence I've seen confirming the idea that the 2012 doomsday "prophecy" will have tangible and disruptive effects on the minds of believers.

Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hayek11

To the OP, there is a third option besides something good happening and something bad happening: Nothing happens.

To the poster above, I don't remember any sort of mass unrest or stand-still in 1999, during the lead-up to the 2000 thing-a-ma-bobber. That one even had a more tangible and unambiguous base to it; that programmers messed up, and it could cause our world to end via the failing of electronic devices and such.

Y2K Problem

I personally have read dozens upon dozens of 2012 threads in my 3+ years here at ATS, and I've visited dozens of other resources. If you want something to interpret, you'll find it there. If you're skeptical, you won't find anything groundbreaking. If you're indifferent, well, then you'll just keep on living like me.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Before2017Victor
Am I stupid?
What's with this freaking date?!?
I am freaking about here a bit.
Fear. It comes from what's the unknown.

Does anybody know anything for sure about this date?
Is there anything that can comfort me?

I walk around with "2012" in the back of my mind. I've got less that a couple years to live.
All the experiences I never got to have...ect...

I don't know if I am going to cry or be sick.

This is getting to be a bit much. I have this feeling that won't leave...my instincts tell me something's going to happen...and it may be negative. Another part of me tries to be hopeful and think it's a bunch of bull.

I didn't realize how anxious I was until tonight.

Crud!

Does anybody know anything for sure about this date? -Yup, it's a Friday
Is there anything that can comfort me? -Find comfort in yourself, no really it's the best kind
I don't know if I am going to cry or be sick. -Me neither, but when your done, realize that you can be taken out of your world at anytime, car crash, falling coconuts, ect.. and that all you can do is live in the moment.

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
A quick journey into the after life will ease your worries. As far as what you might experience ( and apparently ARE experiencing) is the manifested results of your worries and fears. Treat the coming months like you would a psychedelic trip. Positive and loving/accepting thought will make the experience liberating and renewing.... Negative thought and putting yourself at the mercy of your emotions, judgements and opinions, will manifest suffering.

What we are experiencing ( and with the help of the collapsing economy) is a cleansing mankind. Literrally, you are being given a choice (in this lifetime) to pick Life or Death. The mechanism that manifests our thoughts, is being amplified. The words out of your mouth and the thought you transmit, are going to start manifesting in your life.

Think of it as this; everyone is being given a glass. Each person is given the opportunity to pour into this glass what they desire their enemies to drink. Then when the glass is full of this 'liquid' YOU will have to drink it. Get the importance of your spiritual and conscious well being?
edit on 9-2-2011 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Not sure how many of you listen to Coast to Coast, but interestingly enough a few years ago, I believe it was after the devastation of hurricane Katrina, George Noory or Art Bell did an experiment. There was another hurricane headed for us and they asked everyone to put their minds together and think about eliminating it, or something along those lines. Anyway, long story short--this hurricane just ceased to be! It disapated very rapidly, if I remember correctly. Now that makes me wonder about this whole 2012 idea. If his experiment actually worked and it wasn't just a fluke, then something devastating is bound to happen on December 21st of 2012-because the entire planet will be collectively holding their breaths anticipating devastation. It's a scary thought, so maybe what we need to do is all start thinking positive about what might make that day significant. I also recall, that it freaked out George or Art badly enough that they decided never to try it again for fear of the butterfly effect or something like that. The human mind is an incredible, amazing thing. Staying away from topics like 2012, predictions of disaster and the like will help to eliminate the fear always lurking in the back of your mind OP. Good luck! I hope you can move past your anxiety.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Elepheagle

It would be interesting to see when the whole 2012 thing truly busted into the world because in 1999 I was thinking Y2K which turned into Y bother, but I don't remember knowing of any 2012 deal? Was 2012 and the end of the world as we know it not important 10 years ago?

I remember reading about Apophis in the 90's and it's date with us sometime in the decades after 2012 and fearing for meteors as was the standard fear of the times and was reflected in our movies. Now its, planet X, pole shift, Nibiru, Alien invasion - If nothing happens are people going keep fearing everything the tell us too?
edit on 9-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
reply to post by Elepheagle

I was thinking Y2K which turned into Y bother

There really and truly would have been database issues if it wasnt for the very hard work of many people. Seriously.

The "doomsday" side of it was an over-reaction, which shouldnt surprise anyone who is human and who has been alive for more than two years
The only doomsday that would have occurred would have been due to peoples individuals choices and actions, but there would have been serious database errors.

But really, there were very real database issues that required a significant amount of hours to fix. So, perhaps for most, it seemed that it was ALL a farce, or "Y bother." But many people put in a lot of hours to make sure nothing happened. Just want to clarify as i see this all the time...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

I agree, if it did happen things would have been rough but people would have survived with out technology, they've done it in the past, and all you needed to do with Y2K was install a patch. It's the fear tactics that bother me, there just seems to be a new something that every one is screaming to be scarred of everyday.

Before Y2K it was Global warming, before that is was meteors and asteroids of the 90's and the tons of tv shows and movies that came along with it, getting the pattern here as long as your scarred your an easy puppet to control.

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread660919/pg5#pid10536

Here is where you can check out dome of the the "world is going to end in year 2000" predictions...you could type in any year and find people predicting it would happen that year...people have been doing this for ages.

hubpages.com...
edit on 9-2-2011 by StealthyKat because: correction

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Before2017Victor

Ultimately we are all dead men, from the minute we were given life, our expiry date was etched on some great parchment. What will be will be.
Anyone of us could die within the next few minutes or we could live for hundreds of years. Thats the beauty of life, it is different for every individual existence.

Anything could happen on that dreaded date in 2012. The world could end or we could carry on as normal. It is always in the back of my mind as I am sure is the same with a lot of people. We have nearly two years to go, which is a very long time. Do not let these 2 years be filled full of worry about something that may not happen.

Just go with the flow and enjoy, thats all any of us can do.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by KingDoey

AMEN! Cheers!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hayek11

If you're already criminally inclined or extremely selfish, why wouldn't you take a chance on looting, robbing, and killing as you please when you believe you're going to die soon anyway?

Will pick up my 70" TV and settle my old scores on the 20th then, cheers for the tip

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
Im just wondering.. is all this 2012 stuff based on the maya people running out of space to write on ?
Or what

I don't know about that but I do know that my last hello kitty calendar predicted the end of the world on december 31, 2010

edit on 9-2-2011 by jfj123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

It s funny that isn't it because my calendar in my kitchen always without fail ends the 31st of December every year and still we are still here weird huh

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by simples

From what i understand the Mayan calendar of DOOM does that as well, probably why they made it circular instead of linear, just keep circling round and round, kinda like a clock.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I changed my tune recently. I decided I was going to live like 2012 was the end, ever since I have done so, I have been partying and getting laid almost daily. It's been fantastic. 2012 is probably the best thing to happen to me. Once I realized the end was near, I've just been going for it. I never went out, never did anything. Now I'm out every night. Doing things I never thought I would have tried, ever. Hooray for 2012!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elepheagle
reply to post by hayek11

To the OP, there is a third option besides something good happening and something bad happening: Nothing happens.

To the poster above, I don't remember any sort of mass unrest or stand-still in 1999, during the lead-up to the 2000 thing-a-ma-bobber. That one even had a more tangible and unambiguous base to it; that programmers messed up, and it could cause our world to end via the failing of electronic devices and such.

Y2K Problem

I personally have read dozens upon dozens of 2012 threads in my 3+ years here at ATS, and I've visited dozens of other resources. If you want something to interpret, you'll find it there. If you're skeptical, you won't find anything groundbreaking. If you're indifferent, well, then you'll just keep on living like me.

See you at the party on the 1st jan 2013

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

The reason we didn't hear about 2012 back then is because we were focused on the "Doom Du Jour"
....After 2000 came and nothing happened, they had to come up with new impending doom for us....What's her name (the woman who thinks she is an alien), had not had her "revelation" about planet X yet.... Here is my prediction....2012 will come and go....but before the year is out, there will be a new date of doom set

edit on 9-2-2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Let me share a thought I had - one that I shared in an email to my Dad recently:

The thing is, the Mayans and other ancients saw the importance of the spirit as paramount, the body being a mere vessel. So for them, a great, positive change could still result in the widespread death of millions, or billions of physical persons, whilst marking a positive change for those souls, who might be reborn into a better physical existence or ascend to a ‘higher plain’. So the question is – will it be our souls or our bodies that are saved at the end of this aeon? In the minds of the ancients, the former would be the REAL prize. So even when spiritual people talk of 2012 with optimism, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not going to end in physical death. Death is just another part of the journey, they’d say.

For some people that might seem pessimistic, but it's worth considering. The bottom line is - the spiritual man has nothing to fear. I'm one such man and I just seek change, whether it results in physical survival or not. This world is so, so sick. Let it do what it needs to do, whilst each of us looks after our souls.

So until the day comes, just nurture your soul and enjoy each moment.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Am I stupid?

Sadly yes....

I've got less that a couple years to live.
All the experiences I never got to have...ect...

Indeed. You do indeed have a couple of years left to enjoy yourself before the inevitable nothing happens

Seriously though, if you really believe that something catastrophic is going to happen in the next couple of years, rather than worry the whole time, why not spend those years having fun, enjoying yourself and have those 'experiences' that you speak of....

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join