It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Embassy's local workers 'exploited'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

US Embassy's local workers 'exploited'

arabnews.com

RIYADH: The US Embassy in Riyadh and the Consulate General in Dhahran have been accused by the US State Department of using contract labor employed by companies that exploit and put them at risk.

Workers at the embassy, including gardeners, maids, cooks and local guards, were found to be at risk of human trafficking and living in "overcrowded, unsafe and unsanitary conditions," according to a report published on Monday by the department.

Inspectors found that cleaners at the embassy were being paid as little as SR17 ($4.44) a day and gardeners as little as SR12.50 ($3.33). Gardeners at
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This has happened because of the contractors/agencies used, and is an indirect concequence.

Other embassies are also involved.

The sad thing is that the Embassy failed to respond to the US State department report.

They could have at least made a small statement appologising for the lack of oversight, and pledge to 'vet' the contracts to ensure basic rights are upheld.
After all, US Embassy ground is considered US soil.

arabnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-2-2011 by CitizenNum287119327 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

I hate to say this ,but I'm not suprised by this.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

I bet the US tax payers are paying more than that and these crooks probably pocket the difference..

new topics

top topics

join