It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Fails To Extend Patriot Act Spy Powers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

House Fails To Extend Patriot Act Spy Powers

www.wired.com

The House failed to extend three key expiring provisions of the Patriot Act on Tuesday, elements granting the government broad and nearly unchecked surveillance power on its own public.

The act was hastily adopted six weeks after the 2001 terror attacks. Three measures of the act are set to expire at month’s end, and the House’s lack of a two-thirds vote on Tuesday failed to move the sunsetting deadline to December 8, as proposed. The vote was 277-148.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hard to believe but it's true. Finally some sensible legislators have untied in their efforts to begin the dismantling of the Patriot Act.

I watched a little of the debate today on CSPAN and I was quite relieved to see Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul on the same team as both of them spoke out vigorously against renewing this legislation.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Well this is surprising news, I would have never thought officials would be against it....unless they had a chance to read it and debate!

Finally some sensible legislators have untied in their efforts to begin the dismantling of the Patriot Act.

They finally got to read the dang thing instead of passing it at 3 in the morning!

This is good news for America's people and hopefully it put's a better light on us for the rest of the world too.

peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
YES!! YES!! YES! This is GREAT news! Finally a step forward, I guess there is hope after all.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
And now the only question is: What will they pass in the near future that will meet or exceed the provisions in the Patriot Act?

Dun dun dun.......... DUN DUN!

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
YES!! YES!! YES! This is GREAT news! Finally a step forward, I guess there is hope after all.

False and temporary hope. I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

edit on 8-2-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: to add

+18 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This is bad news.......

This was the only proposed bill that would only extend them a few months..

The Dem Senate proposal extends them to 2013...

The Rep Senate proposal seek to make the provisions permanent...

I don't see any reason to rejoice over this vote at all.... :shk:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Damn it you got me jumping for joy over that. A chink in the armor! S&F

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The ACT must be allowed to expire.

THEN and only THEN our legislators, under our CAREFUL AND CONSIDERED guidance, can begin to debate rebuilding it from the ground up.

Let no man contend that we need to accept ANY of this ACT any longer... IT HAS SERVED ITS PURPOSE .....

Military Industrial Complex.... The party is over.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

well said, the fact of the matter is that nothing ever get better...people never gain freedom from any actions of their representatives...and so it will be until Americans unite and engage in civil disobedience on a massive and unprecedented scale...i mean, do people really think the tide of fascism is just going to magically roll back? seriously, i know the human brain clings to any shred of hope, but hope is lost and no amount of waiting around on politicians is going to return it

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

The way I see it, even if the senate passes a provision to make it permanent, it still has to go back to the house of representatives. I seriously doubt, (based on today's vote) that they would turn around and make something permanent that they currently wouldn't even extend temporarily.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I see. I'm sorry, I'm not happy any more.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
The ACT must be allowed to expire.

THEN and only THEN our legislators, under our CAREFUL AND CONSIDERED guidance, can begin to debate rebuilding it from the ground up.

Let no man contend that we need to accept ANY of this ACT any longer... IT HAS SERVED ITS PURPOSE .....

Military Industrial Complex.... The party is over.

Amen Max.

I will friggin second that in a hot heartbeat!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
i am bouncing around between joy and sadness
what is making me happy is your politicians seem to have done some thing right
the sadness part is could they pass something worse?

fashism is held in check only as long as the people watch
blink and its back on
are they waiting for something to make the us people blink?
or create a situation where they can what they want?

never let a good crisis go to waste type politics

xploder

link   
We have to keep the pressure on. Call or email your reps and senators, even your governors.

Rail against this damned abomination!

I'd rather take my chances with "terrorists" than live under this unconstitutional piece of sh*t!

link   
This is about the only news I have heard from washington in 25 years that didnt make me ILL.

MAYBE....

There is hope

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I've always wondered about this legislation.How did they manage to put together such a comprehensive piece of legislation so quickly after 9/11.Since they can't seem to find their fanny with both hands most of the time.It's time to dump this unecessary piece of unconstitutional nonsence before we become the police state we all fear.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
And now the only question is: What will they pass in the near future that will meet or exceed the provisions in the Patriot Act?

Dun dun dun.......... DUN DUN!

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

False and temporary hope. I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

edit on 8-2-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: to add

They wont pass a damned thing if we keep a vigilant eye on the bumbs.

Second line.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Im not going to do cartwheels yet.

I have a hard time believing they will really let go of their power. Im just waiting to hear that there is some new sneaky something else that just snuck through.

I know the elections last fall sent a message, but I doubt they were that scared by it.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I completely agree that the Act should be allowed to expire. Apparently, some of the provisions are set up to empire at various times in a sort of staggered manner. I sincerely hope that today's vote reflects the beginning of that process.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Let's hope they were the right provisions...sounds like a good start. And let's hope the Senate does the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join