It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romania may get even tougher on witches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

There's more bad news in the cards for Romania's beleaguered witches.

A month after Romanian authorities began taxing them for their trade, the country's soothsayers and fortune tellers are cursing a new bill that threatens fines or even prison if their predictions don't come true.

Superstition is a serious matter in the land of Dracula, and officials have turned to witches to help the recession-hit country collect more money and crack down on tax evasion.

This is completely ridiculous, how can you threaten imprisonment for someone getting a fortune wrong? Sounds like Romania has a lot of power hungry politicians driven to distract the masses from their fledgling economy and corruption.

Just another day being suppressed as a small independent business person.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

...new bill that threatens fines or even prison if their predictions don't come true.

While I don't care for any country that suppresses it's people I AM all for that particular bill - it's one I think ALL countries (especially the US) should have. Maybe we'd see less of the scamming and spamming from online and television from all these so call psychics.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
news.yahoo.com...

There's more bad news in the cards for Romania's beleaguered witches.

A month after Romanian authorities began taxing them for their trade, the country's soothsayers and fortune tellers are cursing a new bill that threatens fines or even prison if their predictions don't come true.

Superstition is a serious matter in the land of Dracula, and officials have turned to witches to help the recession-hit country collect more money and crack down on tax evasion.

This is completely ridiculous, how can you threaten imprisonment for someone getting a fortune wrong?

This really depends on the demographics of Romania. I mean the fact that the Government even puts this law in legislation may tell you a little something about the people. It could be that a certain percent(however small it may be) actually believe in these kinds of things. Harmless if there is no money involved. Harmful if people are scraping together the last of their family savings to get a prediction or spell for prosperity.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Or, perhaps they have grown weary of charlatans and confidence persons taking advantage of the weak. You charge people money for predictions and prophecies is it really unreasonable to expect them to be true? If they are operating as a business, is it unreasonable to expect them to pay taxes like other businesses do?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

How about jailing politicians who fail to keep their election promises.

Also those who run their country into the ground, too.
edit on 8-2-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: the

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yeah it is a shame to jail scammers and liars.

If they truly had the power to predict they would have seen this coming and those with a true gift of foresight would agree with it.

Raist

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
Yeah it is a shame to jail scammers and liars.

If they truly had the power to predict they would have seen this coming and those with a true gift of foresight would agree with it.

Raist

Or played the Powerball..

Second line.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'd like to see christians taxed every time their prayers aren't answered.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrormaster

...new bill that threatens fines or even prison if their predictions don't come true.

While I don't care for any country that suppresses it's people I AM all for that particular bill - it's one I think ALL countries (especially the US) should have. Maybe we'd see less of the scamming and spamming from online and television from all these so call psychics.

wonder if weather forcast´s and sports betting "help" goes under the same punishment ?

new topics

top topics

join