It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You've Heard of Moore's Law and Einstein's Theory; I Now Posit Pajoly's ATS Anomaly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
"No matter how benign or confrontational the subject, the level of antagonism within any thread ascends in a Gaussian curve as the post count increases linearly, yet experiences no countering Gaussian descent." (In other words, ATS threads are one place where "what goes up" does not necessary come down!)

Just having a bit of fun making light of us all... Cheers, Pajoly
edit on 8-2-2011 by pajoly because: sp

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Will you kindly overlay a chart of this on top a chart of the A.T.S. membership registration data? I guess what I am saying is, with the amount of antagonism that takes place here, and on other boards Im sure, many people dont bother registering. So in all actuality, as antagonism goes up membership will inherently go down. Although you are not wrong, flag for you.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
"No matter how benign or confrontational the subject, the level of antagonism within any thread ascends in a Gaussian curve as the post count increases linearly, yet experiences no countering Gaussian descent." (In other words, ATS threads are one place where "what goes up" does not necessary come down!)

Excellent postulate.... I infer from the characterization of the anomaly that a predisposition for antagonistic posts could be generally quantified.... what say you?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

That's the cool thing about equations, others add to them and their meaning expands. I think you are right!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Thankyou for not taking offense. I enjoyed your thoughts on this.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I infer from the characterization of the anomaly that a predisposition for antagonistic posts could be generally quantified.... what say you?
reply to post by Maxmars

It would necessarily have to be quantifiable at least as some function of total post counts relative to a Gaussian ascention. Not being a mathmetician, I do not know the formula for the anterior side of a bell curve. And in my case (though the math does not work looking at anyone individually), my antagonism rises exponentially with the number of evangelically-based, er, "science" within any thread. ...That and a lack of caffeine.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

Wouldn't it be ironic if this thread defied the rule?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Is this the thread where I can learn the price per pound for single socks?

I've just finished my laundry and I was wondering if the unmatched ones can be exchanged for scrap gold?

Plannin' ahead for the end of the world and all...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Save 'em for your bug out kit. Stuffed with a rock, one can be a formidable weapon. They may also be used to carry two day's rations. Good for a tourniquet.. Headband maybe? And who cares if your socks match in the wild? Always good to change socks frequently -- f'ed up feet mean you are SOL.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Yea but you have to provide data supporting your claims. It may be true from the looks of it but you have to verify it with data, analysis, theory, conclusions etc..

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

edit on 8-2-2011 by pajoly because: sp

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies)[1][2] is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1989 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[3][2] In other words, Godwin put forth the hyperbolic observation that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope— someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis. Godwin's law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the widespread Reductio ad Hitlerum form. The rule does not make any statement about whether any particular reference or comparison to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that the likelihood of such a reference or comparison arising increases as the discussion progresses. It is precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued[4] that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact. Although in one of its early forms Godwin's law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[5] the law is now often applied to any threaded online discussion, such as forums, chat rooms and blog comment threads, and has been invoked for the inappropriate use of Nazi analogies in articles or speeches.[6]

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Best thread ever

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I would say you are close but not spot on.

Yes the curve goes up and up but doesn't go down -- because it just fizzles out!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Yes, but that would be work and I already work for a living; ATS for me is for fun and intellectual stimulation.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

I think part of the difficulty here will be difficulty in measuring antagonism. After a survey I theorize that antagonism can be measured by star counts after page 2 as well as mod actions taken throughout the whole of the thread.

The logic being not that an antagonistic post will be starred but the person who inevitably bites and responds will be starred.

Here was I suggest to get a threads antagonistic Quotient: ((Stars after page 2)/(total posts after page 2))+(Major T&C Violations after page 2)=AQ

This should give the number that will rise on the curve as the post count is linear to demonstrate the theory.

Note: This will not work in the forums where stars are disabled (such as this one) as these forums are generally either purely antagonistic towards ATS or just plain boring business.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Strewth!!! I'm new to this and it is going that deep I'm nearly drowning. But lets postulate that the fourth or fifth post went off thread then the parobolla of the curve would be negated.

top topics

join