It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's a first, My new boss wants me to apply for a concealed carry permit!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Okay look I'm an older guy and decided to take a part time job to help my adult daughter pay for nursing college...

Well the job I took is working with developmentally challenged as a case manager, you know teach them some basic job skills, help them find a job... yadda yadda yadda... it's all through an official state department of Vocational rehab kind of deal... sounds like easy money right????

Not so fast, some of their case managers have been assaulted before, attacked without provocation... and so my new boss encourages all her employees to apply for a carry permit! In fact I was told out right that my background with guns is what made her pick me for the job over someone with more social work experience....

sounds to me like the winds of change are a blowing... those bleeding heat libs have been bloodied and not so eager to just jump head long into a mad rush to help the less fortunate... at least not without an ,45 under their jacket!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Something bothering me is your claim that others in your position have been assaulted.... Who was the attacker? The ones being assisted or the prospective emloyer, or whom?
Without any more information, given the sole statistic that you're likely to be attacked, carrying a weapon might be a good thing for you. No?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Or maybe they just want you in yet another government database.

That's why I love where I live--no permit necessary.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

It's your decision but if any of those clients are real "bad guys" and know you are packin; a couple of em can easily take your piece from you and use it on you. The element of surprise is a powerful thing.

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Your employer should know the situation.
So are you going to get a permit?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

When you take a job like that you are fully aware of the risk inherent with it. The gov't isn't responsible for your safety and that is up to you to protect yourself. I suggest getting a ccw but remember your job won't cover you if you should have to use your weapon like cops and fbi agents do. That is a different type of job and is coded different in the laws. If they issue you a sidearm then I would be ok with carrying one to work because the job requires it and have protocol for it and safeguards to protect its workers.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

Who is responsible if the "bad guys" take your gun away from you and use it on another staff member or client; if you just have a ccw.

Nasty legal can o worms. Is it worth it?

edit on 8-2-2011 by whaaa because: DG&435

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Sounds like a bad situation waiting to get worse, and sounds less like a change in the wind than someone just not thinking things through all the way.

Have these assaults been armed assaults? What kind of environment do you meet these people in?

And what's with the bleeding heart lib comment. If you work there now too doing that job does that make you one?

edit on 2/8/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Or, you work for an idiot.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I wont be insulting and say this is bovine cakes but something does smell funny
about op's claim. I also work with developmentally disabled and for safety reasons
alot of our clients are not even allowed weapon-type devices in their homes... steak knives,
pocket knives, guns, baseball bats, etc....
this is done to not only protect the employee but also the client who might
literally snap and use the object on themselves if no one is around.
I wonder what state the op works in.
I bet the family members of clients you have in your company's care
feel real comfortable with employees being armed instead of trained
how to talk the client down from aggression.
edit on 8-2-2011 by Patriot36 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Did you just recently move here? This law is pretty recent. I have not heard of too many people moving to the Phoenix area because of this law.

I got my CCW permit about a year before the law went into effect. I still wish the requirement was there. Why? Because at my class, there were people who could not hit a target at 30 feet...they had to have the thing moved to 15 feet...and them some of them could not hit that! So, now that there is no permit needed...anyone who ever failed basic gun training can conceal...and yes, the way these people were shooting, everyone is in danger.

Oh, and the data base comment...unless you buy the guns under the table, then you are already in the database.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
...imo, the most important question is - are you willing to kill a developmentally challenged person that gets out of control?... the i'll just wound em option isnt really one cuz you never really know if thats how it'll turn out...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

my range of clients are not what you'd think of as desperados
still I only just started this job and didn't get into details as to why

willl let you know later if I find out

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If I have to carry a gun to work I would find another job ASAP.

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

are the people you help mentally handicapped? are they the ones who committing the assaults?
you know some mentally handicapped people are strong as a bull . and thay don't know that they
are that strong, but i cant see the boss telling to she wants you to be packin, may have some pepper spray or a tazzer .

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Have you not been watching the new, and TV show's. You, (guys and gals with your job), are a lot of the dead bodies that start off Law & Order, or CSI. So good for your boss, buy a gun, go to the range, and get the permit. Enough said.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarshMallow_Snake

Did you just recently move here? This law is pretty recent. I have not heard of too many people moving to the Phoenix area because of this law.

I got my CCW permit about a year before the law went into effect. I still wish the requirement was there. Why? Because at my class, there were people who could not hit a target at 30 feet...they had to have the thing moved to 15 feet...and them some of them could not hit that! So, now that there is no permit needed...anyone who ever failed basic gun training can conceal...and yes, the way these people were shooting, everyone is in danger.

Oh, and the data base comment...unless you buy the guns under the table, then you are already in the database.

Born & raised here, actually. I'm aware the law went into effect only recently (last July, I think). I was speaking more to the liberal nature of AZ gun laws in general, even prior to this requirement being repealed.

While I agree that a firearm in the hands of an untrained moron is usually not a good thing, it doesn't excuse any laws restricting their right to defend themselves or, conversely, shoot themselves in the face while cleaning it. I applaud the legislature for removing the restriction (or any time any law/restriction is repealed). That's all I was saying, in a somewhat obtuse way.

And I always buy under-the-table, but I'm probably in so many databases by now it really doesn't matter.

As for the OP's situation, if what was described is indeed the case and the prior training and background is already there, I don't really see any problem with carrying concealed--assuming the risks and responsibilities are realized and understood.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I hear what you are saying. In a way, I am glad that the state has done what they have done, because it is a big smack in the face of the feds...on the other side, I am scared that people will carry more guns and then overreact and use them when they think they are cleared for the use of deadly force. So, it is a double edged sword for me.

I used to think that any old gang-banger would carry a gun with this law, and then I realized that they would just be doing it anyway if they had one.

Now, I should comment on the OP. I agree with the above post that if I have to carry a gun to work, then I will start looking for another job.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Is your boss by chance Tony Soprano?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
why dont they give you tazer guns?

when you get the Gun,
ask about your legal right.
and I hope you have CCTV in your room.
good luck with your new job.
you will need it.

top topics