It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House seeks to clamp down on piracy, copyright infringement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

White House seeks to clamp down on piracy, copyright infringement

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration unveiled a blueprint Monday to beef up digital copyright laws, as part of an effort to adjust intellectual property regulations in the age of the Internet.

"Our efforts focus on combating significant acts of infringement, protecting legitimate uses of the Internet and respecting principles of free speech and fair process," the 92-page report (pdf) reads.

However, it doesn't clarify what fair usage of digital copyrighted material would entail.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here it comes folks! They are going to step up the cyber war against the populace, mark my words...

I have recently been reporting on the DHS seizures of domain names and bit torrent sites, often times without any just cause or trumped up, BS charges of infringements.

It appears now that the criminals in the Whitehouse are going to help escalate this to a whole new level, so be forewarned, and be careful on your choice of torrent sites and downloads people---Big brother is escalating their dominance of net control on too many levels to count...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This is the first step in full federal regulation of the internet. Welcome to China. Maybe old Hu got on the web while he was over here and didn't like what he saw so told his new toy Obama to fix it.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
There is also a mountain of lawsuits piling up against users who are basically being blackmailed for downloading content. I look for some type of government intervention into this soon too. Shut down the p2p boys then onto the bloggers.

The avalanche of copyright infringement lawsuits in the United States, mainly against BitTorrent users, are about to hit a dubious milestone. In total 99,924 defendants have been sued in the last 12 months, and new cases are being filed at a rapid rate. Adult companies in particular have embraced the profitable pay-up-or-else scheme where tens of millions of dollars are at stake. Mass P2P lawsuits have been filed all across the United States in recent months, especially by companies dealing with adult content. They have embraced this new revenue stream by the dozen and new studios are joining every month.

link

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

From what ive heard and read, movie and music execs are no longer going after individuals, instead theyre focusing on the ISP's, who then send C&D letters to the subscribers.
I wouldnt know first hand of course, since I have yet to be caught.

I do find it interesting though, that when the software makers were screaming about this several years ago, not much was done.
It wasnt until it affected the BIG names in hollywood and music, that anything started being done.

Makes me wonder who owns these industries AND also have our Govt in their back pockets?
edit on 8-2-2011 by Animatrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is fantastic news. Because if there's one thing the White House needs, it's another completely unwinnable war. Perhaps they can contact the DEA for advice.

/sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I hope obama is a first term president, even though all presidents have been puppets.

Folks this also means an end to free music on youtube

edit on 8-2-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Thanks to the stringent T&C here, hopefully we will stay off that list. If they outlaw links, we're in trouble.

I am even starting to put © and links to pictures. ALT - 0169

edit on 8-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join