It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

inventing a new religion............

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
i'm just so sick and tired of the stranglehold that the mainstream popular religions have on the population of the world.
i had a dream last night where people were preaching to me about a 'new' religion where some of the better aspects of the msr's[mainstream religions] were being used, along with an overall acceptance of the differences between them.
it was kinda' crazy because in my dream those discussing these ideas with me were obviously from a mix of racial ethnic backgrounds, yet all agreed on the basics of this new religion.
i know, sounds kinda' nuts, but at the same time this dream made me smile just by witnessing all these different people showing such love and agreement with one another.
what a site it would be, to watch people by the millions abandon that which they believe in hopes of something more peaceful, something where all are welcome.
the only problem is, i have no idea what this new religion would stand for.
this is where you can help.

mods, it was a toss up between this forum or dreams and predictions, move if need be.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I don't think this is a 'conspiracies in religion' type thread ....
but here ya' go with my comment.

Go ahead and invent a new religion.
It seems that the more absurd the religion - the better it works.
It worked for L. Ron Hubbard. It worked for Muhammad. It can work for you.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Might as well invent a new religion, Thats all other religions are...Something that somebody thought up.

INFACT a new religion for the New times is exactly what everyone needs

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

A new religion, what path does it take? Dictatorship? Oh wait they already did that... :/ How about Unitology

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I'm all for it, and I have considered it myself.

I would love to start a little church that teaches "Natural Law" and all the best parts of the competing religions. It could be huge if it was done correctly. I think if we look at the world and the natural consequences of our actions, we can find some universal truths, and if we compare those to the commonalities in the religions, a clear picture starts to form. There is no reason we couldn't create a religion on those fundamentals and have some success.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It worked for L. Ron Hubbard. It worked for Muhammad. It can work for you.

yet the last thing on my mind would be to fill the space as leader.
ok, rule number 1, there will be no leaders.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Me and a friend one day decided to invent a new religion: Liontology.

Varying levels to the religion you understand.

Anyone starting out with us was merely a Simba.

The highest ranking member would achieve the level of Aslan.

Of course there was the whole Circle of Life thing in there. And you would not be part of a congregation or a flock - you would be in The Pride Of Liontology.

We only got that far. We'd been drinking...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
ok, rule number 1, there will be no leaders.

Excellent. The world has had enough faux-prophets. You'll have to have no $$ or cash flow as a rule too. If there's money, then there has to be people to manage the money. That's where it always gets sticky.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
New religions are made every day. It's not uncommon. If you want to give it a go, there's nothing stopping you.

If I had to guess, it'll probably end up as a sham just like everything else. It's human nature to allow greed to get in the mix of everything we do.

But hey...if it makes you feel good, why not?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
A mate of mine "invented" a new religon at University ......although in his case he was just giving a real world presence to the New Church of the Great Old Ones afte a few years of playing het Cthulu role playing game in teh late 80's & early 90's.

Of course he had an ulterior motive........local council by-laws regarding noise did not apply to religious practices, and his were going to be on Friday & Saturday nights and involve alcohol and loud music....

However he went throught the entire rigmarole with the relevant Govt agency to get it established - including being grilled for several hours (total time spread over a few weeks IIRC) by a panel of functionaries about the religous precepts, philosophy, etc.

In the end I think he actually got his registration too....but it took a while & we'd all grown up a bit so the planned ceremonies never happend!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Interestingly, there have been some attempts at creating an "open source religion". Like Wikipedia, anyone can come along and edit the religion's creed. Perhaps the most sophisticated to date is the new religion known as Yoism, founded in 1994. You can go to their site and fiddle around with the doctrines to your heart's content.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Religions are like governments. Even when they start out
benign and great, they get corrupted over time by the laziness of the masses, and the greed and cunning of the few.

No matter what you create, it will get hijacked and abused.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Oh most assuredly. Doesn't mean they have nothing good to offer, however. You've got to root around for yourself and decide what is meaningful for you.

Personally, I'm not too much interested in any religion or religious idea less than, say, 500 years old. It's more a matter of personal taste and aesthetics than anything else, but I like my philosophy and theology with some of the gravitas that comes with age, like weathered materials on a fine old building.
edit on 2/8/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
new religion perfect but as long as it doesnt hav muhammed or ology hate those worlds but a true religion about the eternal love and commpassion that human kind is unique for
in my religion ther is not asian white black yellow -no offence-
its strictly about doing what u think u should be doing in life not what some old guy wering outdated cloths ans a massive hat says or someone that might or might not hav been who they say they are whos been dead for thousands of years anyway
ur lifes a flicker of light in the darkness only u can make it brighter

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
New Rule: Before you can invent a new religion, you have to make an old one go away.

In all seriousness though, why do we need a new religion? Or any religion at all?

Better yet, why do I have to hear about everyone's else's religion everywhere I turn?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
HEAR HEAR GOOD SIR

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If you think a new religion is necessary my friend, by all means light your torch and go with it. Personally, I think we have divided ourselves up enough and that religion is on the way out.

I just stick with loving this existence with all my heart.

And, loving the wonderfully diverse crowd I get to share it with.

Dogma is for the dogs.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
There were many belief systems in place before what we know as modern history began to corrupt them. Why start a new one, let us fall back to one that is more ancient. More importantly, many of the ancient belief systems had the same basic ideas.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
great replies, but lets put this in reverse for a minute.
i'm not sure people actually understand the definition of religion.

source

Definition of RELIGION 1 a : the state of a religious b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance 2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices 3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness 4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith — re·li·gion·less adjective

Definitions of religion on the Web:
* a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality" * an institution to express belief in a divine power; "he was raised in the Baptist religion"; "a member of his own faith contradicted him" wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
* A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion
* The Religion is a horror novel written in 1982 by Nicholas Conde. It explores the ritual sacrifice of children to appease the pantheon of voodoo deities, through the currently used practice of Santeria. ... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Religion
* Religion is a peer-reviewed academic journal in the field of Religious Studies. It was founded in 1971, with close ties to the Religious Studies program at the University of Lancaster. ... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_(journal)
* Religion is the seventh studio album by Spear of Destiny, released by Eastworld Recordings in 1997 (see 1997 in music). en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_(album)
* The Religions of Dune are a key aspect of the fictional setting of the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert. Many of the names of religions mentioned in the novels indicate they are blends of current belief systems, some syncretic. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_(Dune)
* Serial Experiments Lain was created as a multimedia production, including an anime, a video game, a manga, and several artbooks and soundtracks. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_(Serial_Experiments_Lain_episode)
* A collection of practices, based on beliefs and teachings that are highly valued or sacred; Any practice that someone or some group is seriously devoted to; Any ongoing practice one engages in, in order to shape their character or improve traits of their personality; Our ideological and ... en.wiktionary.org/wiki/religion
* religious - concerned with sacred matters or religion or the church; "religious texts"; "a member of a religious order"; "lords temporal and spiritual"; "spiritual leaders"; "spiritual songs" * religious - having or showing belief in and reverence for a deity; "a religious man"; "religious attitude" * religious - of or relating to clergy bound by monastic vows; "the religious or regular clergy conducts the service" * religious - a member of a religious order who is bound by vows of poverty and chastity and obedience * religious - extremely scrupulous and conscientious; "religious in observing the rules of health" wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
* The world's principal religions and spiritual traditions may be classified into a small number of major groups, although this is by no means a uniform practice. This theory began in the 18th century with the goal of recognizing the relative levels of civility in non-European societies. ... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religions

it's quite difficult to completely wipe the slate clean concerning judeo-christian/ muslim etc......
influence in our definition.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
i had a dream last night where people were preaching to me about a 'new' religion where some of the better aspects of the msr's[mainstream religions] were being used, along with an overall acceptance of the differences between them.

Why would you want a buffet bar religion that borrows what you think are good ideas from mainstream religions which are, as a whole, pernicious to minds and the species as a whole? The mechanical process involved would be akin to extracting diamonds from a dunghill.

the only problem is, i have no idea what this new religion would stand for.
this is where you can help..

How about this? We don't need another religion. Anything dealing with the supernatural, mystical, unproven, etc. is dangerous to rational thinking and will subsequently attenuate the progress of our species. If you want to collect a tome of methods for good living in the 21st century, so be it. But this need not be called a religion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join