It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China creates rare earth strategic reserves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

China creates rare earth strategic reserves

www.breitbart.com

China is building up strategic reserves of rare earth metals in a move that could give it better control over the resource so indispensable to high tech products, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Storage facilities have been built in recent months in the northern region of Inner Mongolia with the capacity to hold more than the 39,813 tonnes of the metals China exported last year, the paper said.

But details of the strategic reserves have not been made public, it added on Monday.

China controls about 95 percent of the global trade for the 17 minerals that collectively make up the rare
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China: Trade embargo on Rare Earth minerals/metals - What damage could this do to the West?
Rare earth metals mine is key to US control over hi-tech future
edit on 2/8/2011 by EyeHeartBigfoot because: fix related links

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I understand this is purely a strategic political and financial move on the part China's move towards Super Power Status.

I am looking for more informed opinions on any ecological perils that such action could pose.

If you must state your claim that it is all part of them hoarding in the coming world destruction, at least make it a semi-ideological post.

Thank You In Advance For Your Attention In My Request.

t

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I would already call China a superpower. Even though they aren't responsible for half the world's entire military spending like the US is, they have incomprehensible resources and man-power if they ever really want to use it, and their technology isn't obsolete either. Recently they had a sub surface right next to a US battleship during a US war game, just to show us how well we can track their subs. Anyway with all that manpower, if they got a hold of better plans for equipment, they could start mass producing whatever they wanted in no time, just like the US or Germany whenever a technological advance occurred during WWII.

If the US wasn't making it a point to go all over the world policing other countries, this wouldn't be an issue. I think it worries Americans that China might start becoming as aggressive in the world as we are.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

They have had the monopoly on rare earth metals for a long time. Hoarding it seems like the next natural step. To be honest, with their pioneering and leading the green technology of the world, I prefer seeing it in their hands than a nation with an oil-based economy.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Very intersting post, Thanks for this.

I am in no doubt that this is the begining of the end for the US Federal Reserve, This is all linked to moving the world currency to something other than the US $ as pointed out on here (ATS) for several months. This link (see below) is a real eye opener and suggests China is planning after having secret meetings with a few other Nations/Continents behind the United states back, to lose as fast as possible any reserves they have of US dollers. Eye opening stuff and thanks to sites like this for having people on here pointing this all out.

www.stansberryresearch.com...

Regards.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
china has its fingers in a few pies and they are obviously worried of the usa's apparent need for world domination so they are guarding their backs so they have a trump card to play incase the us decides to take over any of the nations that supply china with other resources.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

The last battleship the "Big Mo'" was retired about two decades ago. Could that be the reason?

new topics

top topics

join