It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Under-age sex trade booming at Super Bowl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Source article

"The Super Bowl is one of the biggest human trafficking events in the United States," Greg Abbott, the attorney general for Texas,

"At previous Super Bowls, pimps hired cab drivers to turn their vehicles into mobile brothels," said Deena Graves, executive director of the child advocacy group Traffick911.

"We are expecting thousands of under-age domestic minors to be trafficked to the Super Bowl,"

I just thought this was important. There are a lot of sick people in this world, and in my opinion, whenever the abuse of children is involved, the punishment should be extremely severe, I cannot think of a worse crime!

The thing with human trafficking is that it often seems to implicate some high profile individuals, and makes one wonder whether or not it is institutionalized.

I have nothing to add because the article speaks for itself.

Disgusted,

the Billmeister

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Story sounds crazy to me.

I am into football and watch the Super Bowl every year and have been to 2 and have never seen nor heard of anything like this before.

For an opposing view: www.dallasobse... rver.com/2011-01-27/news/the-super-bowl-prostitute-myth-100-000-hookers-won-t-be-showing-up-in-dallas/

Can't believe everything you read.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
Story sounds crazy to me.

Can't believe everything you read.

Of course, and I do hope that your article is correct.

Here is the fixed link :The Super Bowl Prostitute Myth

Thanks,

the Billmeister

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Excuse me, why are you discrediting this article??? The Independent is a very reputable and established British newspaper, and many important and verifiable sources are quoted in the article:

- Law enforcement agencies and advocacy groups rescued around 50 girls during the previous two Super Bowls.

- Six were registered on the Center for Missing and Exploited Children website.

- Representatives from American Airlines, Delta, United, Qantas and American Eagle are holding a training session to help them spot signs of trafficking.

- 67,000 people signed a petition on www.change.org opposing sex trafficking as part of a campaign by Traffick911 called "I'm Not Buying It!".

- The campaign has attracted heavy hitters such as the Dallas Cowboy Jay Ratliff, a three-time Pro Bowler, who made a public service announcement entitled "Real men don't buy children.

This is for real, it's systemic, it's worldwide and denying it is not going to make it go away.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by antoinemarionette

To be fair, this is one of the major issues on ATS as in real life... WHAT TO BELIEVE?

Unless we were physical witnesses to an event, we depend on 2nd hand accounts, and should always keep an ounce of doubt as to the veracity of these accounts.

Which source is more reputable?
Does one source have more of a reason to lie than another? (is it a lie or an honest mistake?)

That is why I fixed the link and made the opposing view available. Because, at the end of the day, all we can do is get as much information as possible and make our best, most educated personal opinion on any given topic.

After all, the ATS motto is "deny ignorance" is it not?

That being said, I too believe that human trafficking is a real and important issue whose discussion should not be avoided.

the Billmeister

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I am not necessarily discrediting the article.
I am pointing out that for every article that says it is true another says it isn't.

You can't just believe it because you read it in some paper.

I am personally read both articles which appear to cancel each other out basically. I also can go on facts that I know first hand because I was involved heavily with the logistics of setting up for the super bowl here in Glendale, AZ. and although the same storied came out then nothing happened.
There were no underage prostitution issues (or at least no more than usual)

Two different Super bowls I work to set up both had the same stories before hand come out and NOTHING came of them.
Poor journalism, sensationalism or people trying to use the event to draw attention to their cause.

Believe what you want but I have seen it first hand and don't believe it.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Oh, And thanks Bill for fixing the link.

I meant no disrespect to your post I just thought maybe a counter point would be useful.

Again, I am going on my own firsthand experiences ALONG with what I read to base my opinion on.

But at the end of the day it is just that.....MY opinion.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
Oh, And thanks Bill for fixing the link.

I meant no disrespect to your post I just thought maybe a counter point would be useful.

Again, I am going on my own firsthand experiences ALONG with what I read to base my opinion on.

But at the end of the day it is just that.....MY opinion.

I didn't sense any disrespect in your post whatsoever, your contribution was, on the contrary, very relevant and appreciated.

The whole point of ATS is to encourage intelligent (hopefully!) discussion and debate, and to better help reach educated opinions. The fact that you can express direct, firsthand experience weighs heavily in the equation.

Thanks again,

The Billmeister

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
And in every city throughout the world.

They just want to use the Super Bowl as if its the birth place of the sex trade industry, notice the headline. Them damn Americans and their football causing all of this sex trafficking.

new topics

top topics

join